Off Road Vehicle Regulations for Ocala Forest

Started by eric, December 11, 2004, 07:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

I don't do much if any mudding but for those who like to and ride Ocala be careful you dont get caught. I was riding with a group this week @ Big Scrub down the powerlines and 2 of the guy's on utility quads with us decided to conquer a mudhole about 20 feet long that we came across. As we were having fun watching them get stuck and pull each other out I noticed 2 forest service trucks pull up alongside the road. Then one of them pulls out a digital camera takes a pic of the guy mudding. Next he procedes to flag him over to his truck. Well we were then told "mudding" is considered damaging the forest land and he gave the guy a $100 ticket. Maybe it's well known but I did not know that you could not play around in a mudhole on a main trail. Anyway I looked it up tonight and below are the ORV Regulations for riding in Ocala which can be found @ http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recreation/index_oca.shtml


Regulations:

State and Federal laws apply to all vehicles, including their operation, equipment, and licensing.
Unlicensed vehicles are prohibited on the numbered forest roads.
All vehicle traffic is prohibited in the following areas:
Pinecastle Bombing Range
All Wilderness Areas
Florida National Scenic Hiking Trail
Alexander Springs Scenic Area
Paisley Woods Bicycle Trail
In campgrounds, picnic sites, and other developed areas unlicensed vehicles should be trailered or carried by other means of transportation when entering or leaving the area. Big Scrub campground and Lake Delancy West campground are the only two exceptions to this rule. ORVs may be ridden directly from your campsite out of these campgrounds and into the general forest area.
Restricted Areas are designated sections of the forest where some roads or trails are closed to vehicle traffic. In these areas travel is permitted only on numbered roads by licensed vehicles. These areas are posted and marked with red signs.
Cross-country travel is prohibited. Protect the environment and your privilege to enjoy ORV riding in the National Forest by not riding in wetlands, lakes, and prairies. "Mudding" does damage to these areas and is considered destroying natural resources.
Respect the rights of hikers, campers, horseback riders, and other forest users to enjoy their activities undisturbed.
Be Courteous. Be Responsible. Be Safe.

Gamer

Thats a bunch of crap.  The way I read it is mudding does damage to these area's which are wetlands, lakes and prairies.  It doesnt say anything about a mud hole on the main trail.  What happens if the main trail is covered with water and mudholes that you can't avoid?  I would fight that.

eric

#2
well the guidelines say "Mudding does damage to these areas and is considered destroying natural resources." The "and is considered destroying natural resources" seems to be what they used on us today. If a trail was covered with water that would probably be ok since they use the word "mudding" which seems like it would indicate intentionally playing in the mud which our friend no doubt was. I would just hate to see anyone else get a ticket because it ruins the day. I would say if you like mudding just make sure your're not on the powerlines or any other road where the forestry trucks can see or catch you. Plus we don't want them getting anymore money to put more patrol persons out there giving tickets either.

Chillinthemost

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

o4250

when we stayed at lake delancy the forestry officers told us we would get a fine and sh*t f or that becuase we disturb the fragile ecoysystem  :o

B-man

Depends on which ranger you talk to. If you are crossing an area covered with water then it is considered ok, if you continualy drive through the same water hole it is considered "mudding". There are tons of water holes out and about that are so secluded that you can mud all day long and not have a problem. So if you want to do that I would recomend staying well away from the main trails ie. powerlines, pipeline, and numbered roads. Or go to areas like saltsdale or ocean pond for mud pits.  ;D
YZ 490  "Yellow Jacket"

Ida_Mann

Please tell me your friends didn't get right out of the mudhole and continue without playing around any more???

heck, you already got the ticket, I woulda jumped right back in the mud, let them take all the pics they want,,,,judge I swear those were taken BEFORE they gave me the ticket ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

eric

The sad part is our we had no idea what we were doing was not allowed. The Forestry guy's just watched us for a few minutes and starting writing which we later found out was the ticket. The only good part was he made it through the mudhole on his last attempt after being winched out 3 times..lol I think the fact that we were having so much fun didn't help our attempt in pleading to get out of a ticket. Plus with like 15 quads around they made an example out of someone in a bad way  >:(

Ida_Mann

all the more reason to make an example of them ;-)

I don't like running through mud or else I'd try it,,,,,,I think the ticket would be worth the look on the ranger's faces.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

eric

I dont even know that these were Rangers. I think they were more like Forest Marshals. They weren't driving green trucks they had what looked like a white chevy blazer. They were carrying a side arm and mace on a belt just like a police officer and you could tell they meant business. The had a silver badge as well. They did have a Forest Service Label embroidered on their shoulders ???

big-daddy

Ida_Mann your the man! We got ride together thru ONF one day. you in your Raptor and me in my ninja 1000cc Quad monster. we can play a game with the rangers. Catch me if you can. p.s. I will bring the scrambler for there radios. just to keep it fair.  ;D ride hard and free my friend
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Ride1Rob

QuoteIda_Mann your the man! We got ride together thru ONF one day. you in your Raptor and me in my ninja 1000cc Quad monster. we can play a game with the rangers. Catch me if you can. p.s. I will bring the scrambler for there radios. just to keep it fair.  ;D ride hard and free my friend


I've always wondered if anyone actually took off from them? Some of the regulations are so B.S. :-[. Like the one about ridin' on the roads. I understand the main road, but if I'm back in the trails lost as hell and can't negotiate my way back. The 1st clay road I run into I'm taking it. Majority of the time that keeps you from being out there overnite lost. I assume they think that you're supposed to double back or take another trail and be "More" lost than b/f. But it's all about money and that's how they make Majority of it. If I see one and I'm riding a clay road I'm hittin' the next available trail. I didn't see him trying to flag me down ;).
If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

Ida_Mann

I have made the argument truthfully and successfully many times that where I came out of onto the clay road,,,,there was no sign telling me it was a clay road ossifer.

And, I'm not so sure about running from them, the ones in the Jeeps can run just about as fast as I can on the trails, and I have witnessed this up close and personal.

I swear I wasn't running, I just plain didn't see him and couldn't hear him over my pipe.  and heck, when I'm running full-bore down a trail, I don't look behind me.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com