YFZ 450 Throttle

Started by YFZ450-Tampa, October 24, 2004, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YFZ450-Tampa

Hey I know I'm not the only one suffernig with this throttle, I want to know what to do to make it softer, I put a bigger one but it didn't help, it stick out way to much and I couldn't get in used to, I puted the stock one back on, I'll likje to know how do you like the twist throttle? ???
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

bartowmx#3

im not a fan with the twist, mine is still stock and im not having problems...but you can go with a 400ex thumb throttle
DFR ( [url="http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/"]http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/[/url] )

TRX450R_Racer

#2
Before I got into ATVs I rode dirtbikes. I never rode with a thumb throttle before. When I bought my first ATV, an 89 250R I took the thumb throttle off and put a twist on. It was a little touchy at first, because I put on the Motion Pro Vortex. The Vortex is 1/8 turn to wide open. After a while I got used to it. At first you have to be carefull, because you will get on the gas by accident. After a while it will become second nature. On the other hand, when I bought my 450R a twist wasn't available. I rode it so much with the thumb that I got used to it and I think I have more control in the rough stuff with the thumb throttle. I do have friends that race as well and they love the twist. It is really personal preference, but if you do switch be a little cautious at first until you get used to it so you don't get hurt. I hope this helps.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

YFZ450-Tampa

I've seen some guys with the twist, that's why I asked, will the 400 ex make a big diference, is there you can do on the carburator spring without messing some thing there ???
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

tampaboy813

QuoteHey I know I'm not the only one suffernig with this throttle, I want to know what to do to make it softer, I put a bigger one but it didn't help, it stick out way to much and I couldn't get in used to, I puted the stock one back on, I'll likje to know how do you like the twist throttle? ???
I had the same thing with my YFZ....So I got a Honda...J/K I put a 400ex one on my YFZ and its way softer and better Pivot point so makes it easyer...takes about 5 mins to swap out...works with your stock cable..

TRX450R_Racer

QuoteI've seen some guys with the twist, that's why I asked, will the 400 ex make a big diference, is there you can do on the carburator spring without messing some thing there ???

I don't think there is a spring in the carb. My 450r doesn't have a spring in the stock carb. They aren't like the old 2 stroke carbs with a screw on cap and a spring. At least my 450R carb isn't and neither was the FCR I bought for it. I know the YFZ450 comes stock with a FCR carb. I would imagine it's like the one I bought, but I couldn't tell you for sure I never saw the Yamaha carb.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

bartowmx#3

yes i does have a spring in it but id rather you do the throttle cause it can be very easy to screw up

http://www.mansellracing.com/Mods/CarbSpringMod.aspx
DFR ( [url="http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/"]http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/[/url] )

YFZ450-Tampa

Thank's Bartowmx, men I'm not touching that carb, look's crazy and I don't know how is going to come out, look's like the 400ex is the best bet so far ah?
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

bartowmx#3

DFR ( [url="http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/"]http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/[/url] )

TRX450R_Racer

Quoteyes i does have a spring in it but id rather you do the throttle cause it can be very easy to screw up

http://www.mansellracing.com/Mods/CarbSpringMod.aspx
Very informative. Thanks for the information. I love it when I learn something new.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

bartowmx#3

DFR ( [url="http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/"]http://www.dirtfiendracing.com/[/url] )

J.D.

Go with the twister mister.
Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...

YAMAHONDAMAN

Hey#3... That cut spring website is COOL !!!
he illistrates it to the TEE ..do they show pics on the cam-mod thingy anywhere ?  Thank's
1985 Tri-Z w/ 1986 plastics, turbo crank, PWK 39mm Keihin carb, custom 12" aluminum s/ arm, Skat Trak 22x11x8 Tauler Haulers on 11" wide rims, lots of stainless, lots of aluminum...Powder Coated Frame,etc,,,,NOTHING STOCK !!!!

ace5180

 I had the Motion Pro Vortex also. Two grab bars later i took it off, it was just way to sensitive.
03 ds 650 baja,procircut t-4 pipe

DierWolf

Being a Bike rider i could not deal with that thumb thing, think it should be left for Jetski's  the first thing i did to my quad was remove that damn thumb throttle.

YFZ450-Tampa

Well I had the twist in other quad I had and I didn't like at all, I feel safer with thumb one, but I'm doing som modds and I'm getting the one from the 400ex I'll see how it works, for what I understand it will fix the problem (hope)
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

DierWolf

someone mentioned 1/8 turn to full? thats crazy stupid if thats the way they designed it.

Mine to get from zero to full is almost 1/2 turn, and with my engine i hardly ever go that far.

J.D.

I just put a twist on my YFZ this weekend .I haven,t ridden bikes in a couple years so I was a little nervous . After 5 min of riding , all I can say is no more thumbs for me " I love it "
I now use the Motion Pro Vortex and have no plans of ever changing back .   8)
Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...

TOY_DOCTOR

Twist throttles are great once your use to them, I think the trick is to leave some free play in the cable, this helps with your hand moving around when you back off, gives you a little cushion.....KEN
TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's

Chillinthemost

This works for me, I just zip tyed the throttle wide open and clutch and shift to regulate my speed. No more sore thumbs.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

YFZ450-Tampa

Well it sounds crazy but if it  wors for you ... I put a different lever way bigger but I bended some more and it worked out way better for me on my last FTR race, and I just got a 400 ex throttle, that I was recomended, but I haven't put it on jet, too much turkey this days ;D
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

LTZ400ApK

the rubber band works for chillin i have seen it in use ;D

Nightbreed

For all of you YFZ riders, go on ebay, and do a search for a YFZ carb spring. There is a guy on there selling a nice kit with instuctions for the carb.
The kit consistes of a ligher wound spring and some new screws. We have used this kit with great results. It cuts the heavy throttle pull in half without modifiing the stock spring.

Mike
What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!

T2

What Mike said, I put the spring in my bike and it works great. You have to take the whole carb off the do it and take the carb apart it kinda tricky if you never did something like that. If you feel you are not able to do it. I'm pretty sure Mike can do it for a small fee at ATP racing.
But I would recomend it for sure it works.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lakemarykid/tonyy.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lakemarykid/tonyy.jpg[/url]