Emergency Kit Needs Help

Started by qt314nfla, August 07, 2005, 08:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qt314nfla

Any paramedics on here I need some help with my emergency kit.  I was on a ride this weekend and had a major injury.  I had my emergency kit but it had so little that was necessary.

On the trails we all know that there can be some major and life threatening injuries.  I need a list of things I should pick up for my kit so I'm better prepared should this happen again.

I also realized that I need to take another emergency first aid course.  It's been way too long.

big-daddy

Hey Tony, she got your number...  ;D
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Grizzlygirl

American Redcross recommened first aid kit

Absorbent Compresses (2 5" x 9" dressings)
Adhesive Bandages (25 in assorted sizes)
Adhesive Cloth Tape (10 yards x 1")
Antibiotic Ointment (5 packets, approximately 1 gram each)
Antiseptic Wipes (5 packets)
Aspirin (2 packets, 81mg each)
Space Blanket
Breathing Barrier (with a one-way valve)
Instant Cold Compress
Non-Latex Gloves (2 pair, size: large)
Hydrocortisone Ointment (2 packets, approximately 1 gram each)
Scissors
Roller Bandage (3" wide)
Roller Bandage (4" wide)
Sterile Gauze (5, 3" x 3" pads)
Sterile Gauze (5, 4" x 4" pads)
Oral Thermometer (Non-Mercury/Non-Glass)
Triangular Bandages (2)
Tweezers
First Aid Instruction Booklet
Mama Grizz

qt314nfla

Thanks mamagrizz.  Hopefully nothing like this or worse will happen again.  But I want to be prepared if it does.

Grizzlygirl

Your Welcome
  American Red Cross sells one in a soft sided case for $19.95



 
Family First Aid Kit - Soft Pack
Item #RC321193


Be prepared with this comprehensive first aid kit for the family. The Family First Aid Kit includes all the essential first aid items for treating cuts, scrapes, burns and other emergencies that may arise. This kit is offered in a durable 420 Denier nylon red carry case (8 x 6 x 2 ) with zip lock pouches for contents to be easily secured within the kit. 

http://www.redcross.org/
Mama Grizz

qt314nfla

Will the stuff in their be enough for more than just the minor cuts and scrapes.  I have some of that in my first aid kit already.  Usually no one treats minor injuries on the trail they wait to get back to camp. 

Considering what we do though I want to be prepared for the major and possibly life threatening injuries.

Donna's wasn't life threatening because it was caught in time.  But w/ the heat and the bleeding had she rode for 20 or 30 minutes it could have been.  I had a cold compress in my kit but it didn't work.  Kits only 2 months old.

Grizzlygirl

The stuff in stores is usually old but the stuff in the red cross kit is new. Also in a case like this weekend for heat everyone has ice in cooler. Just a cold rag on the back of neck will cool you down for heat exhaustion. The cut leg is sterile pad and wrap with the roller bandage to stop bleeding  elevate leg and worse case put pressure at pressure point at top of thigh femorial arteries.
Mama Grizz

qt314nfla

yeah we did all that.  had all kinds of ppl helping.  what a great family to have.

Mrs.Nightbreed

Also with everyone having coolers, keep a ziplock bag in your kit. You can easily fill it with ice from the cooler. I keep some in my truck so if we ever need ice packs at the track I have it.

Grizzlygirl

Just a plug
   But its not a bad idea for anyone who rides to take a first aid and cpr class never know when u might have an emergency
   Mama Grizz

Bigscrb15

 I have looked at a bunch of kits and this site has tons. I know they are more expensive than walmart special, but who can put a price on a life? I think the "Backcountry" will work great for atv riding.https://store.remotemedical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=478
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

T2

Qt I sent you a PM, and I will talk to you Later I was just doing quick check online this morning so later I will have more time to talk.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lakemarykid/tonyy.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lakemarykid/tonyy.jpg[/url]

backinsaddle

Lauren,

I posted this list awhile back at http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,553.0.html.  It's big, and most people think I'm crazy, but that's what I carry.  Also looking at carring some kind of splint material, although it's easy to find something to use in the woods.  Another great source of emergency/survival/medical supplies is www.equipped.org

Mark

qt314nfla

Thanks I'll check that out. 

Mamagrizz are you a first aid instructor?  What about getting a group of atvers together to take this class together?  Would anyone else be interrested?

Grizzlygirl

Quote from: QT314Nfla on August 08, 2005, 10:34:44 PM


Mamagrizz are you a first aid instructor? What about getting a group of atvers together to take this class together? Would anyone else be interrested?


Yes I am and I have access to the course dolls and film through Girl Scouts. I am an instructor for their  leaders
Mama Grizz

bigscrub79

I would be interested in a course. let me know
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Grizzlygirl

Qt and I are working it out we will let everyone know
   Mama Grizz

SwampRat

Are you a CPR instructor also?  Had the class a few years ago but would like to take one again.  CPR with First Aid would be very helpful to many of us.
06 F-250 4x4 PSD TowCommand
06 Weekend Warrior FS2300; Onan 4KW Genset
05 Suzuki King Quad; 27" 589's; 2.5 Warn Winch; Garmin Map76 GPS
[url="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/SwampRat_/Avatars/mudriders.jpg"]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/SwampRat_/Avatars/mudriders.jpg[/url]

Grizzlygirl

Yes I am a certified instructor through American Red Cross for Adult, Child and infant CPR and first aid including certified on the AED
Mama Grizz
   

backinsaddle

If we don't have to travel too far, my wife and I would be interested.  It was about 6 years ago the last time we went through the classes, time for a refresher.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com