Whats wrong with my bike?

Started by DittoBabyGirl, June 06, 2005, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DittoBabyGirl

Figured I'd ask here before I bring her to a shop

Ok....so I'm having a real hard time starting my quad up

I just got it tuned up in September before I left New York....changed the oil and all that

I haven't ridden it much since I've been here....3 or 4 times to a *real* place...and just maybe once a week thru my developement (so yes...I've been starting her up at least once a week)

It starts up when I have the gas dial on reserve....but when I put it to on, it won't start. Yes...there seems to be plenty of gas in the tank still...I can see it. 

I thought maybe I just needed to warm it up....so I rode it a bit on reserve....but then when I switched it to on, it stalled

Can it be the gas is old? I'd drain it but I can't find where to drain it from....and its just a lil bit heavy for me to hold upside down to drain it  lol

Any help ya'll can offer would be greatly appreciated

~Ditto~
[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]

ish

grab a bottle of soda or something. turn the gas off take off the hose that goes to the carb then turn the gas to the on and check if your getting gas or not. the petcock is probably clogged.
[url="//www.atvmiaxtreme.com"]www.ATVMiaXtreme.com[/url]
[url="http://img230.echo.cx/img230/4730/xtreme6bj.jpg"]http://img230.echo.cx/img230/4730/xtreme6bj.jpg[/url]

gery350

yea, if it runs fine on reserve and not on "on" then definitely no fuel going through the valve. its easy to change just screw off and screw on.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

Old_School

Yep, it's the peacock that's messed up. Probably the main is clogged. I would drain all the gas then take it out and clean it. When you put it back on make sure you have a good sealer to put around the holes. Make sure it's repelant to gas.  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

wheelie_boy

05 kx 250f

DittoBabyGirl

[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]

Bigscrb15

I know this is off topic, but Im so happy you can say petcock now instead of petthingy!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

DittoBabyGirl

Ok...I called up Rusty Palmers...where I bought my quad....they said as long as the bike starts up and runs on reserve its ok and nothings wrong....he said if the tank is half full it'll do that. Said I didn't need to drain the gas as long as it runs fine on reserve. Does that sound ok? Or ya think I should bring it to a local shop? I can't figure out how to drain it....and the hubby knows less than I do about quads  :-[
[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]

gery350

ok..... i didnt know the bike was designed only to run on reserve. although the bike will not be affected by this. what happens when your in the middle of nowhere and you run out of gas on reserve. oh its o.k......(start walking)
i would get it fixed. believe me i've ran out of gas many times and thank god i still had reserve.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

shulco

don't know what kind of atv you have but my 3 yamahas run almost empty with the petcock in the run position ,none of them require the petcock to be in reserve at 1/2 tank.

Lost Soul

Are we not saying "petcock" for a reason?

If you get caught up in your riding like I do, you probably want to have a reserve for when you run out of gas right in the middle of all your fun.

It sucks having to walk back to get the gas can!!!

Make full use of your bikes design, get the petcock cleaned/replaced.

mudhawg

ive been around atvs and bikes all my life and the guys are right the thingy valve is got to be bad and there cheap so if you change it ,should fix the problem,its not normal to run on reserve
700 sportsman 30inchmudlites tech4 exhaust,lift kit,clutch kit,dobeck control box

IT200

#12
Jees just say petkock
Polaris 500 4x4
Yamaha Warrior
Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400

jwscroll

It's called a petcock valve. Jeez, your killin me. Sound like the rubber gasket insde the valve has come out of place. Usually to drain the gas you can pull the hose off the valve assembly at the bottom of the gas tank, be sure to remove all the gas by shaking the bike until you can't hear anymore. And remember, vapor is explosive have good venilation.
If you need another word for the valve call it a shutoffvalve. Talk about beating around the bush.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

DittoBabyGirl

Ok...so wheres this pet/valve/gasket/drain thingy at?
There is no hose at the bottom of my gas tank to drain the gas....and I can't turn it upside down and shake it   :-\

Its a 2004 Honda Sportrax if that helps. Maybe one of you can tell me where the gas drainer thingy is

I know I may sound like a dumbass...but I ain't been riding as long as most of you...so be gentle  lol
[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]

gery350

 the lever where you change from reserve/on/off is attached to it. its all one piece. from that piece which is directly behind the lever is a hose running down to the engine. that little valve which is part of the lever assembly should be attached to the bottom of the fuel tank via rivets or screws. unscrew it from the tank and remove the hose and get a new one.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

reloader50bmg

#16
If you fill the tank all the way up to the top and it still wont run on main the petthingy IS pluged, "devorce the accantant type hubby of yours, get a redneck, beer drinking wife beater type of guy that can fix you bike
[or take it to the shop, "just kidding"
03. praire with a butt load of mods!!!

DittoBabyGirl

Iffin I got me a redneck who likes to drink, ride and beat me...then who'd be home cooking,doing the dishes and watchin the kids while I'm out riding????

:P

[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]

Moose

I would take the shutoff valve off, take it apart as much as you can and clean it all out.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

DittoBabyGirl

Thanks for all your replies. I'ma try to get to it this week
[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]

GSPKurt

Did you fix it? What was wrong?
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

backinsaddle

Not to change topic, but I just went to dittobaby's website.  Amazing pictures.  If you haven't gone, you need to go.  You have some talent dittobaby.

DittoBabyGirl

Thanks saddle  ;)

One of these days I'll be featured in National Geographic lol

And no...my bikes not fixed yet  :'(
[url="http://www.dittobabygirl.com"]http://www.dittobabygirl.com[/url]