We are READY for a Hurricane now...

Started by kawGIRL, June 04, 2005, 01:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawGIRL

Just picked this up for the up-comming season  ;)

So now we WON'T have a hurricane  :P

But hey now when we camp we can power up everyone  ;D





YES it is HUGE! 
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

LakeMaryKid

neighbor has that, took a lil bit to put together and for the size it is very quiet!
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

SWAMP_DONKEY

well it looks like you can start charging fellow campers for power...

     "1 night of power = 1 bottle of rum" ;D

  Everyone leave thier generators @ home, I have plenty of extension cords and "Shorts Energy co-op"
has PLENTY OF POWER!!! :o :o






Magnum330

With all the generators sold in Florida I don't think we are ever ready for all them stormes. We have had our share for a long time but it's nice to have one of them just incase.

Are you going to run it on Gas or Propane? Just wondering I work for a Propane Company and we are hooking them up to propane like 3 a week and the calls are still coming.
Donnie
Meet ya out on the trail.

ucfneed2ride

Propane and Propane Accessories??...sorry couldnt help myself.
[url="http://www.islandnet.com/~rescuetees/rtcom/images/patches/pa250-l.jpg"]http://www.islandnet.com/~rescuetees/rtcom/images/patches/pa250-l.jpg[/url]

SWAMP_DONKEY


Redgrizzly660

#6
Can I get power from U guy's too? I have plenty of extention cords.

Grizz
Gen Info
http://electricgeneratorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=345

kawGIRL

Sure Grizz ;D My Dad wants me to run a cord to his house....6 miles down the road for the next storm  :o
We got it for 1999.99 at Home Depot.

We will keep the gas tank on it, it will come in handy when we start building our log cabin in the mountains  ;D  for $1,000 more we could have bought the one that you put on a pad that uses propane, but we need to portable for now.  When the cabin is done we will have the other one.  ;)
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

dreth

you have an electrician to hook it up for you? ;) pick me, pick me ;D

kawGIRL

The guy that owned our house before us worked for FPL so we have multi-fuse boxes around the house  ::) the wiring in the house SUCKS! for someone that worked at FPL, anyway we can make a pigtail off the laundry room box, ?  Jeff knows how....thats all that matters  ;)  He works with LARGE generators at the Condo.

Hey Shawn if we come across any problems you are the first one I would call  ;)
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

dreth

Quote from: kawGIRL on June 04, 2005, 02:46:54 PM
The guy that owned our house before us worked for FPL so we have multi-fuse boxes around the house  ::) the wiring in the house SUCKS! for someone that worked at FPL, anyway we can make a pigtail off the laundry room box, ?  Jeff knows how....thats all that matters  ;)  He works with LARGE generators at the Condo.

Hey Shawn if we come across any problems you are the first one I would call  ;)

thanks! keep in mind that your dryer recepticle is only rated for 30 amps and that generator is rated for 50 amps, so you would be over loading the wire if you use it to its potential. i would suggest a 50 amp outlet below the panel with a pig tail to it so you could use the generator full tilt.  that generator should run your ac, all your lights, water pump, fridge and a freezer with no problem

o4250


GSPKurt

Quote from: kawGIRL on June 04, 2005, 01:53:00 AM
Just picked this up for the up-comming season  ;)

So now we WON'T have a hurricane  :P

But hey now when we camp we can power up everyone  ;D
YES it is HUGE! 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

kawGIRL

Quote from: dreth on June 04, 2005, 11:55:52 PM
Quote from: kawGIRL on June 04, 2005, 02:46:54 PM
The guy that owned our house before us worked for FPL so we have multi-fuse boxes around the house  ::) the wiring in the house SUCKS! for someone that worked at FPL, anyway we can make a pigtail off the laundry room box, ?  Jeff knows how....thats all that matters  ;)  He works with LARGE generators at the Condo.

Hey Shawn if we come across any problems you are the first one I would call  ;)

thanks! keep in mind that your dryer recepticle is only rated for 30 amps and that generator is rated for 50 amps, so you would be over loading the wire if you use it to its potential. i would suggest a 50 amp outlet below the panel with a pig tail to it so you could use the generator full tilt. that generator should run your ac, all your lights, water pump, fridge and a freezer with no problem

Had never planned on using the dryer recepticle.... we have a disconnect next to our meter to do the pigtail ;)
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

dreth

Quote from: kawGIRL on June 05, 2005, 10:23:07 PM
Quote from: dreth on June 04, 2005, 11:55:52 PM
Quote from: kawGIRL on June 04, 2005, 02:46:54 PM
The guy that owned our house before us worked for FPL so we have multi-fuse boxes around the house  ::) the wiring in the house SUCKS! for someone that worked at FPL, anyway we can make a pigtail off the laundry room box, ?  Jeff knows how....thats all that matters  ;)  He works with LARGE generators at the Condo.

Hey Shawn if we come across any problems you are the first one I would call  ;)

thanks! keep in mind that your dryer recepticle is only rated for 30 amps and that generator is rated for 50 amps, so you would be over loading the wire if you use it to its potential. i would suggest a 50 amp outlet below the panel with a pig tail to it so you could use the generator full tilt. that generator should run your ac, all your lights, water pump, fridge and a freezer with no problem




;D

Had never planned on using the dryer recepticle.... we have a disconnect next to our meter to do the pigtail ;)

jackinthebox23

Hey while we're on this generator topic.... and Dreth, maybe you can back me up on this (I believe you are an electrician)...
I was talking with some FPL safety people the other day and they said the biggest problem that they have with these generators is that people hook them up to their house wrong and back charge the lines.  This can kill people quickly. 

Does everybody know how to hook these generators up properly, and if so...give a quick explanation on the site of how to do it.  I don't have a generator, but if I went out and bought one today it still wouldn't mean that I would know what I was doing.  The more people that are educated on this, the less likely people are to get injured.

Thanks
2005 Polaris Sportsman 400

Da_Mtg_Man

You are correct. The best way to do it is to disconnect the neutral in the box that way it won't backfeed and zap the power people that are working on the lines.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Ida_Mann

I got me two very large marine/deep-cycle 12V batteries, and I got a 1500watt inverter,,,,gonna be hooking the whole thing in my truck's bed to be charged off the alternator.

it's goo enough to run the big fridge and a bunch of fans without recharging for a couple days at least,,,,if it needs recharging,,,,,just fire up the truck for a while.

and there aint no generator noise,,,,,thats one thing I couldn't stand after charley was the generator noise through the neighborhood.

oh well, the whole setup cost me less than $250 and a little labor to hook it up.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

kawGIRL

We use invertors all the time camping, also during the hurricanes we used them for the computer..."Clean Power" and yes the marine deepcycle batteries are the best ;)
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

Qdawg76

Guess we are ready now also. Not much to choose from at the hardware stores right now as you all probably know. My Mother in law got us this. 6500 running watts with  8150 max surge watts, This should come in handy if not for the storms this year at least for camping.lol

[attachment deleted by admin]
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

wheelie_boy

those are some nice generators you guys have got there. lol  ;)
05 kx 250f

americanhighlander

#21
 ;D I used own one those gens in hurrcaine andrew during that time for 10days.
It will do good for mircowaves  and local tv  maybe for directtv you can
watch the weather channel with that gen.
It's very good mobile gen  for camping
out middle nowhere,or work shop.

8) I have 50kw gen it's a big boy.My dad got it back
9-10 years ago from his
x boss  here in mcalpin and got it for 4K doing that time.It can lite
up 4house with this thing.
I use this on my small 8acres farm here.
But i won't sale it and it's about size of minivan size
and it's sounds loud like truck and it's a ringpower gen.
I used it during last year with hurrcanie frances
when power was out for 40hours.


[url="http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I"]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I[/url] always say:Ride Harder Let Your freedom Go!!)
I'm a goat farmer live on 8acrefarmlivingwith my [url="parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362"]parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362[/url]

stump66

Quote from: kawGIRL on June 04, 2005, 01:53:00 AM
Just picked this up for the up-comming season  ;)

So now we WON'T have a hurricane  :P

But hey now when we camp we can power up everyone  ;D





YES it is HUGE! 

hey yours is bigger then mine,lol
I got a 6000kw craftsman still in the box

GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!