Is the age/quad cc a real law?

Started by Mars, May 30, 2005, 07:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mars

Could some one post some info or links.
110cc for under 16 years old is a crock. My 100 lb grandson can't ride a freaking 50!
Is this a real law?
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

o4250

I don't think so. I think it's just a recomadtion, like how it says wear ALL of your gear and such. Ive been pulled over on my 250ex and im under 16, all they said was dont ride on private property :-/

Numkut

If it is, it is rediculous. Can't imagine riding a 110cc quad only 2 months ago (just turned 16). Theres no laws on dirtbikes, I rode a 250 two-stroke when I was 13! Imagine the power diff, I'd just ignore it its stupid to expect people to obey that law.
YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

rubicon500kid

when i was 11 i had an 89 yz 125 and i went to the track i had to stepp on a lil bench just to get on it and they did not say any thing then my lil cuz went to the track on a 400 ex and he is 13 and they said they could not him ride  cuz he was under the age of 16
DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a

klutchbuster400

i think its real, just not in affect yet

Honda328i

According to FL statute 316.2074, the only restriction is that you have to wear a helmet and eye protection if you are under 16, like bicycles.  I do know that there are bills in the Senate to add additional ATV laws.   >:(  Imagine having laws for horseback riding or downhill skiing, both of which could be potentially more dangerous.

I do believe; however, that a licenced dealer is not allowed to sell an ATV knowing that the rider is under age for the cc size.  They don't want to risk getting sued.  Some have looked the other way.  

Age really is not a good determining factor.  My son is almost 6 and he is not ready to ride an ATV at all.  It takes strength, agility and balance, not every kid develops these at a set age.

ok, blah, blah... I'm done

--H
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

wheelie_boy

#6
im 13 and i have a kfx 400.  a year ago i had warrior.  its just a recommendation i think.  like the guy before me, its skill that determines what you should be riding.  I have been on atvs since i was 2. driving since i was 4.  The first time i ever drove a mini was a few months ago and that was because i wanted to see what there like.
05 kx 250f

LoveMud5

I don't think it is a law yet, but I saw on the news a few weeks ago some parents were trying to make it a law since they lost their children in accidents.

My husband and I just bought my five year old a 05 Grizzly 125 and the reason is this:
The 50 is too small and he will outgrow it too quick
The 80 is a three speed and does not have head lights...so you ask yourself, should I spend 2800 dollars on the 80 or spend 500 more and get a 125 that is an automatic with headlights.  
We went riding this past weekend for the first time and he rode like a champ.  We were on 110 acres in Arcadia and he rode the trails without a problem..we were amazed.  My husband turned the bike down to its lowest setting so it will not go fast.  
This is a bike he can ride until he is a teenager.....
If we bought the 80, he would have had to focus on shifting plus driving and that seems dangerous to me.....
2000 Kawasaki Prarie 4x4
2004 Honda Rancher
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 125

LostCause

Ok-- The age thing is an agreement that the manufactures and the dealers have.  For a dealer to knowingly sell a quad to someone that is not old enough is a crime.  (Many do it anyway and nothing happens to them)
Now if you are wanting to race,  that is a different story.  The ATVA has set quidelines for age and cc displacement.  Florida Trail Riders are adding Youth Quads to the MX Series next year also.  The age and CC displacement is close to the ATVA guidelines.  
0-50cc-----4-8 years old
51-90cc----7-12 years old
91-200 2 stroke and 91-300 4 stroke-----13-15 years old

Many tracks do not look at the guidelines of the ATVA.
  
FTR did not have a youth quad programfor the MX series.  So I worked on a proposal and it is starting up next season.  I figured that we needed to stay as close to the ATVA guideline as possible so that if any of these kids wanted to do a national race they could.  They are also starting a QUAD Scramble series next year.  Not sure what the classes will be but they will have youth classes.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

Exmx54

it IS a real law, I started on a RM80 at the age of 11, then at 12 I outgrew it and went to a RM125, then traded it in for a 400ex a 13, did everything I could to squeeze more power out of it, then at 14 I traded it for a YFZ450. I tried going to air dania and they asked for proof of my age, which I didnt have, and I'm 15, they said I have to be 15. Now I'm 5'11" 210 pounds, how do I ride a blaster? I turn 16 in October, and will have to miss the first maybe second round of FTR, due to the stupid age law...

SWAMP_DONKEY

yEs it is a stupid law age has nothing to do with ability or size!!! I raced yz 250's @ 14 and rode my fathers yz 490 all the time when I was growing up. They will sell it to your parents if you are not with them, I know this because I bought a recon 250 for our 11 yr old. Have your parents go down and buy it for you............ and go get your points!!! ;D

Numkut

My neice who weighs 85 Ilbs. rides around our Grizzly 660 at Ocala, she can handle it well.
YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

raptor426

Its not real law, they just say that so that the manufactures cant take the blame when someone gets hurt.  But there are some places like Air Dania that wont let you ride unless you are old enough for your quad.  The Age to cc is
50cc and under is for 6 and up
51cc to 90cc is for 12 and under
more than 91cc is for 16 and up.
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

MuddyGurl101

Alot of race tracks won't let kids race unless they are on the "correct" size bike.
2005 Red Arctic Cat 400
Ram Cup Holder
26x10 Mud Lites

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com