why cant we ride on the street too?

Started by GaryinSeffner, May 27, 2005, 04:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryinSeffner

Can someone tell me why ATV's arent allowed on the street?

If we install turning signals shouldnt we be allowed to tag our quads? My boss and I had this discussion at work and it just seems unfair. There is very little difference in an ATV and an Enduro right? Why does the government discriminate against us?  >:(


[url="http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid151/p303f35fcc449920617c6e316c7f86de8/f5cb0a20.jpg"]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid151/p303f35fcc449920617c6e316c7f86de8/f5cb0a20.jpg[/url]

Ida_Mann

why do people climb Mt. Everest?

Why does Donald Trump keep making more money when he could obviously retire?

Why do we drive many hours to get to a riding spot to have a little fun?

because we can.

why does the goverment do this to us?

because they can.

I'm sure that if you dig down far enough into the laws that are in place banning ATV's from being tagged and licensed for the road, it is based in a public safety guise.  I would call it natural selection if someone goes screaming down the highway at 70MPH on a banshee and wipes out killing themself,,,,but that's just me.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

The ATV manufactures, state law and DOT prohibit the use of ATVs on public roadways. This is based on a number of reasons, including design and stability issues. Yamaha prints on the Certificate of Origin, "NOTICE: THIS VEHICLE WAS NOT MANUFACTURED FOR USE ON PUBLIC STREETS, ROADS OR HIGHWAYS. SUCH USE IS PROHIBITED BY LAW." The manufactures also post notices on the ATV, usually by the riders left/right knee, indicating no public roads, no passengers, ect.....

Redinjun

I saw some clw beach popo's crusing Gulf blvd on them today.
Didin't notice any turn signals, and last I checked enduro's are pretty unstable, damn things just fall right over.

Hoosier Daddy

Another thing to consider.
Fl law's and the Insurance laws consider a defined motor vehicle as "having four or more wheels" this is why you dont have to carry insurance on motorcycles.. A lot of laws would need to be reworded to ever make that happen..l.
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

GaryinSeffner

all these things came to mind when I began to consider the legality. They are more stable than a crotch rocket going 140.....I guarantee you that lol.

I bet if I was serious enough I could find a loop hole. There are always loop holes in our vague laws  ;D
[url="http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid151/p303f35fcc449920617c6e316c7f86de8/f5cb0a20.jpg"]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid151/p303f35fcc449920617c6e316c7f86de8/f5cb0a20.jpg[/url]

Nocturnal

If you find a loop hole, share the wealth of the knowledge. I would love to ride my quads on the street. Hell, I'd probably even sell my street bike.
2007 Camo King Quad 700 - 26" 589's
2005 Honda Rancher AT - Tamarack Front box, Kenwood stereo, 25" 589's, K&N

2006 VTX 1300C - K&N, windshield, bags

redrider

i really wouldnt drive quads on teh street dont like it

Ida_Mann

I wouldn't do any long distance riding, but if I wanted to run to the 7-11 really quick, I'd love the opportunity to run my quad over there.

Id@

kinda like farmers do on their tractors.

I wonder if one could qualify their quad as agricultural equipment,,,,,farmers run their tractors on the street legally.
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

96 warrior

i though u could if you put blinkers brake lights and got a tag ???

if you put farm service on it would be just the the tracters
96 (and a 98) warrior

wheelie_boy

Quote from: Ida_Mann on May 27, 2005, 08:18:29 PM
why do people climb Mt. Everest?

Why does Donald Trump keep making more money when he could obviously retire?

Why do we drive many hours to get to a riding spot to have a little fun?

because we can.

why does the goverment do this to us?

because they can.

I'm sure that if you dig down far enough into the laws that are in place banning ATV's from being tagged and licensed for the road, it is based in a public safety guise.  I would call it natural selection if someone goes screaming down the highway at 70MPH on a banshee and wipes out killing themself,,,,but that's just me.

Id@


Very true ida.  People would probly go crazy with there quads on the street.  Im not saying i wouldnt love to ride my atv on the street.
05 kx 250f

J.D.

Don't quote me but something about the fact that it has 4 wheels and you straddle it with handlebars. That is what rules it out .....but with all the fly by wire stuff now a days seems like you could get around the handle bars . Remember all the old VW Hippie trikes .....you cant tell me a quad isn't safer than those things ...they'd turn a curve into a straight line real quick like . :-\
Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...

speedman8903

i think if ppl can do it n other places, i say we can do it here 2. but dats just my opinion.
05 brute sold

08 brute
10' CATVOS lift
29.5 w/itp ss212 all blk
mimb snorkles
epi clutch kit
rilla rad relocated
and much more!!!

Honda328i

We could all move to West Virginia, the laws are quad friendly up there.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

RedPred05

Since we are not allowed on the streets, can we just ride off on the side of the road, like in the grass or something. I mean as long as its not through someones front yard.  What iam trying to ask is if iam in the middle of BFE and iam off in the grass will I still get ticketed.

Numkut

Its Illegal to ride along the side of a regular road.
YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

tekhanto

It would be nice but some idiot would try to cut in and out of traffic and give us bad press.... I always hope for a door to open up when the motorcycles are cutting in and out of cars at too fast a speed.
You don't stop riding because you get OLD................... You get OLD because you STOP RIDING.
                                        
              &

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com