SxS at croom

Started by Starbuc71, September 18, 2015, 05:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starbuc71

It's been a while since I posted and wanted to know if anyone heard anything about croom allowing SXS in the future. Croom is a 45 minute drive for me and it would be so nice to be able to take the rzr for a ride more often. I've owned by rzr for over a year now and have used it twice. I just can't get to Ocala as much as I would like to.  Any reason why they outlawed them to begin with?
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

quadfizzle

I checked in to it last May. I had heard a rumor that side by sides were going to be allowed in Croom. I questioned people at the guard house and got very vague answers. So I wrote a letter to Adam Putnam of the Florida Department of Agriculture, who regulates the State Forests, and I asked the question to them. The answer was in short that the State has changed or altered the definition of an ATV to include some side by sides, with limits on weights and widths of SxS's....Essentially, from my understanding, very few if any of the side by sides out there today would qualify to be ridden at Croom.  Hope that helps....

Starbuc71

So I saw a Polaris RZR at croom on Sunday. I believe it was a 50in wide model. I still can't find anything on line that says they are legal to ride. I wonder if it were brought in on an enclosed trailer
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

patches206

Quote from: Starbuc71 on June 15, 2016, 01:52:16 AM
So I saw a Polaris RZR at croom on Sunday. I believe it was a 50in wide model. I still can't find anything on line that says they are legal to ride. I wonder if it were brought in on an enclosed trailer

The gate makes me open my trailer every time I have been there so the must be legal.
(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
Quad32Ex-laxblows!
Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!

rednipj

All-terrain vehicles (ATVs), recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs), and off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) are the only unlicensed motor vehicles allowed in designated OHV areas.

The law defines an  all-terrain vehicle (ATV) as any motorized off-highway vehicle:
•50 inches or less in width
•Having a dry weight of 1,200 pounds or less
•Designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires


PHOTO: OHV riders at Croom Motorcycle Area.
An off-highway motorcycle (OHM) is defined by law as any motor vehicle:
•Used off the roads or highways of this state
•Having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider
•Designed to travel with not more than two wheels in contact with the ground, but excludes a tractor or a moped

A recreational off-highway vehicle (ROV) is defined by law as any motorized recreational off-highway vehicle:
•65 inches or less in width
•Having a dry weight of 2,000 lbs or less
•Designed to travel on four or more non-highway tires
•Manufactured for recreational use by one or more persons

The term ROV does not include a golf cart as defined in 320.01 and 316.003 or a low-speed vehicle as defined in 320.01.



NOTE: ROVs (or anything wider than 50" or heavier than 1,200 pounds) are not permitted at the Withlacoochee State Forest/Croom Motorcycle Area.

Starbuc71

Croom also states that any vehicle ridden at the park must be straddled (like an ATV)
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

grizzlynick