Is anyone interested in a street legal atv?

Started by WillStubbs, February 13, 2014, 06:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillStubbs

Hello all! I would like to see street legal atv's in Florida. I have created a petition in order to get the attention of Florida law makers, and I am asking for some help and support in signing it and spreading the word. If you feel like this should be an option for the atv riders in this state, please sign it and invite your friends to do the same. Thank you!

http://www.change.org/petitions/state-sen-greg-evers-make-atv-s-street-legal-in-the-state-of-florida#

TNTaylor

2006 Suzuki Vinson Camo
2007 Raptor 700

WillStubbs

Thank you for your support! Hopefully we will get the chance to meet at the DMV!

klutchbuster400

Signed, it's a nice thought. Wouldn't mind taking the 450 out for a cruise.

cr500pro

i would back that up, make them street legal like a dual sport is.

WillStubbs

Just to let you guys know, I am still pushing for this.  I am attempting to contact my district representative, but emails are easy to ignore.  I will be calling to talk to someone directly early next week to see if there is anything more I can do.  If anyone does decide to contact their representative, stay engaged with them as they will try to give you a quick answer as to why it cannot be done.  Keep spreading the word to your friends and family, any way you can.  Thanks!

AintSkeered

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

WillStubbs

I'm not sure if you're being funny or what but the way I see it, motorcycles are street legal and I have yet to hear anything about a crash safety rating on one.  As long as it has the proper equipment and the rider has gear and insurance they are good to go.  Why not make it the same for an atv?  The way I have pushed for is to have the laws changed to require all of the same equipment and an inspection by the DMV for compliance.  I am all about safely making this change and what must be understood is that everything in life comes with a certain amount of risk involved.  You could choke at your next meal.  It is the operator's choice as to whether or not they want to take the risk of using their machine.  I am attempting to make it more practical and convenient.

AintSkeered

#8
I'm dead serious! I don't see a downside to your idea, unless the insurance industry uses it as an excuse to raise rates on my off-road use only ATV. Why is it called an all-terrain vehicle, if you can't drive it on all terrain?
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

yfz122

Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away

WillStubbs

It's only a waste of time to put forth the effort and then give up. Other states have done it, so why not push for it in Florida?  In the time it took you to read through this and post "waste of time.", you could have signed the petition and given more support to the cause.

yfz122

yes i wasted my time reading this post and now im doing it again. the atv's wont hold up to that kind of riding
Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away

WillStubbs

Quote from: yfz122 on February 28, 2014, 03:55:18 PM
yes i wasted my time reading this post and now im doing it again. the atv's wont hold up to that kind of riding


Thank you for taking the time out to express your thoughts and opinions.  They have been reviewed and dismissed.  It is your choice to not subject your machine to the harsh street environment, and it should be your choice, not the government's.  I will continue with my efforts until I am satisfied.

TNTaylor

Quote from: yfz122 on February 28, 2014, 03:55:18 PM
yes i wasted my time reading this post and now im doing it again. the atv's wont hold up to that kind of riding


Why wouldn't a quality built ATV hold up to street riding?  I've been riding a Vinson 4x4 and a Raptor 700 over some really rough off road trails for over 5 years with no break downs so I'm pretty confident they would both hold up to normal (legal) street riding.  I would love to be able to put some tags on mine!  What's wrong with making an effort?     
2006 Suzuki Vinson Camo
2007 Raptor 700

cr500pro

if the gov, see's $$$ to be made with street legal atv's,they will jump at it. and i can see all those that own private atv tracks/parks being opposed, y drive ur truck,trailer,atv 3hrs to croom & spend a bunch of $when u can ride ur atv to a local bar,park or beach in 10min..most motorcycle riders stay with in 5 to 10miles of there house..

WillStubbs

You would think so, but to have the laws changed is so difficult that people just give up and end up like yfz122. I think there are enough people out there to support this, but when I tell people about it, they think it's a joke because all they know is what they cannot do. This makes it easier for the legislators to ignore as no one will back the change. If more people would just email them asking why not, then they will start to think the same thing.

cr500pro

yes getting laws changed without big $ and support from politicians is a pain in the butt...and 4 those that say an atv wont hold u to street use,i have an honda xr650l a dirtbike thats street legal and ive put 11,500miles on it on dirt,mud,rocks,trails n street and i ride it pretty dam hard off road and ill ride 2hrs by road to get to the trails and then ride 4 or 5 hours off road and not a screw has fallen off..im sure atv can be just as good or better..

yfz122

#17
First of all there are much more important things to fight for. Have you not noticed the f#cked up country we are currently living in? Second the atv engine's are not designed for extended periods of high rpm riding. You dont have a clue about what i do or fight for. My voice is always included in the fight for riding area's. We can barely get a place to ride off road let alone on public streets. You are asking for too much. Dont be stupid
Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away

WillStubbs

I started this post to get support for this cause. There is nothing in the title that refers to trails or parks, so obviously you are interested in some way, even if you thought I was offering one for sale that you could buy and just ride. Yes, I do realize the state of the country, do you? How is your fight for more trails going to improve that any more than my fight for ATV's on the street? I am ready to pay the taxes, registration, and insurance that comes along with my changes which also benefit the state. I have respectfully asked for support to change the laws so that people can ride their machines that they have paid good money for in whatever manner it is that they choose. You say that it is stupid to ride an ATV in the streets, but that is your opinion. I say don't register yours when these changes happen, and keep transporting and using your equipment as you see fit, but please get do not take away from my cause. I do not know what it is you are fighting for, as you never did state that, while I clearly stated my intentions. I do not intend to step on anyone's toes, or work against them. I just want to be able to use my ATV where I want to, do it safely, and do it legally. Now if you are against that, then so be it. Please "waste your time" elsewhere.

zman03

now our country is making progress :Clap.gif   legal pot! , legal same sex marriage,  now street legal ATV's!! rolback1   Obama is gonna go down as such a laughing stock!
Youve gotta pin it to win it!

WillStubbs

President Obama does not have much to do with this issue.  State government determines how ATV's are handled, and I have been wondering about this since before I knew anything of our current president.

greenmachine

See how tuff it is to get any type of support on this site? Pretty sad. This guy didn't ask for a bunch of smart azzes but he sure gets them. If you can get it done then do it, other states are doing it. All you gotta do is get a smaller rear sprocket and they will run the road. Nobody said lets go ride I-75 all day.

WillStubbs

Thank you, greenmachine. Most states don't allow ATV's on streets with a speed limit greater than 45 MPH, anyway. That isn't the best news in the world for those people who are willing and able to get more performance out of there ATV's, but it will be a start if we can get that far. For those people who support the idea, please continue to spread the word. It's not always what you know, sometimes it's who you know. As always, I am open to suggestions as to how the message can be spread and/or improved upon in a positive manner. Thanks!

atvfreedom

awesome idea...but maybe start with making it legal on dirt roads....especially if its a back road...35 mph. and have a atv safety course or motorcycle lisence.  theyr not gonna go for street legal...!  they already got their minds made up for that one...!   and as far as insurance....motorcycles don't...so keep that expence out...!   we got enuff to pay for as it is...!!!!!

atvfreedom

a great place to start is...send all the atv parks, mud bog parks, and atv dealers a petition for atv riders to sign...! we need riding rights in this state....! we are the taxpayers...not the criminals...!!!!!!!!