how to title an atv?

Started by Mikestyger1, October 06, 2013, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikestyger1

I'm looking at purchasing an ATV on craigslist.  I've had 5 or 6 of these and all of them always had titles.  I had the owner send me a picture of the vin number and looked it up....NOT on the stolen list with DMV.  That's the first good step.  I want to be completely legal and possibly go to some state parks (require registration and title).  How do I acquire a title to an ATV.  The seller can give me a bill of sale, but he's not original owner.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Thunderdually

Quote from: Mikestyger1 on October 06, 2013, 11:16:07 PM
I'm looking at purchasing an ATV on craigslist.  I've had 5 or 6 of these and all of them always had titles.  I had the owner send me a picture of the vin number and looked it up....NOT on the stolen list with DMV.  That's the first good step.  I want to be completely legal and possibly go to some state parks (require registration and title).  How do I acquire a title to an ATV.  The seller can give me a bill of sale, but he's not original owner.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

You need to apply to the state for a title.  Printable title applacation in PDF form.  http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82040.pdf
"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

klutchbuster400

I don't even think it's possible if the bike is newer than 2002.

patches206

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on October 07, 2013, 01:34:50 AM
I don't even think it's possible if the bike is newer than 2002.

This is correct owner must have a title if newer than 2002.  I would not touch anything these days without a title or your screwed.
(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
Quad32Ex-laxblows!
Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!

EricG1824

I just bought 3 new atvs from dealer and needed a 4th so figure I would save money and look on craigslist for late model used for my son, mostly everyone is playing dumb or they think everyone else is dumb trying to sell ATVs with no title cause they dont have one cause they still owe money on them and are trying to sell them and not pay loan off and who knows when they even made a payments last time so really you would have a stolen atv if someone did buy with no title cause bank will be looking for it.

Eric

klutchbuster400

South Florida is notorious for bikes without titles, and I personally wouldn't waste my time going to look at a bike if it doesn't have one. No way I'm gonna spend thousands of dollars on something when I can't even legally prove it's under my ownership.

Mikestyger1

Thanks for the input!  It's hard to turn down as it's a GREAT deal, but there could be a reason for that!!!  So even if it's not listed under the DMV "stolen" list then I should still stay away from?   I get bored with the same atv quickly so I'm guessing resale would be very difficult as well without a title.

I guess I'll keep looking!

in case anyone is selling....looking for a late model 4x4 at least 500cc.  Thanks again.!

gmiller0737

If it's never been titled & the seller has the MCO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) that can be used to get a Title other wise you are likely out of luck unless the Original Owner that purchased it new has the MCO or can try & get1 from the original selling dealer.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: Mikestyger1 on October 07, 2013, 05:07:58 PM
Thanks for the input!  It's hard to turn down as it's a GREAT deal, but there could be a reason for that!!!  So even if it's not listed under the DMV "stolen" list then I should still stay away from?   I get bored with the same atv quickly so I'm guessing resale would be very difficult as well without a title.

I guess I'll keep looking!

in case anyone is selling....looking for a late model 4x4 at least 500cc.  Thanks again.!

Honestly I'd stay away from it. Just last week a friend of mine decided to get back into riding and found a good deal on an atv without a title. This past weekend he finds out there's a lien on the bike which is why there's no title.

greenmachine

I bought a dirtbike a couple months ago. I spent a few months looking for the right deal. It seemed every bike with a good price had no title. I was emailed the vin number for a yz250f and it did not come up as stolen. I then used the title search feature on this site and found it was still owned by GE bank. The owner tried to play dumb. Said he would get the title but never did and most likely sold it to someone who didn't care. But if this bank ever found it, it's gone. These bikes and quads are all over craigslist. I would never buy anything without title.

sugarsand007

If they are selling an atv newer  than 2001 and they don't have a title then legally they don't own it. Titles have been issued since 2001. And if its older than 2001 you can get a title at dmv with bill of sale. It is still required to have one to ride in Ocala and other areas. It proves ownership. The green sticker has vin number and owners name if called in to prove who's it is.
2006 crf450r and 2006 polaris outlaw 500