COMPUTER HELP PLEASE!!!

Started by Njoutlaw88, May 23, 2005, 11:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njoutlaw88

I really need help with my dell. My windows wouldnt start up so I took the hardrive put it in my other pc took all my files off of it then tried to reinstall xp on it. While I try to install xp it says this is not an xp compatiable partition. So I delete the partition it then  installs a new partition and restarts it self. Then it again says not a compatiable partition.

Any suggestions.  

TRX350_On_The_Rack

Run the command fdisk /mbr in dos. If you have partition magic on another computer you should be able to aesily correct this.
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

Njoutlaw88

QuoteRun the command fdisk /mbr in dos. If you have partition magic on another computer you should be able to aesily correct this.


I dont have a disk drive.

BonesTM

What are you reloading XP with? An XP cd or the Dell cd?
If your not living on the edge.....
   Well, your just taking up to much Space!
2005 Suzuki Z400, ProTaper, K&N Filter, ProArmor SwingArm Plate, ASV C5 Levers, Pro Armor Skid Plate, Maxxis Razars Rear, ITP Holeshot Front
2004 Yamaha 350 Bruin 4x4

TRX350_On_The_Rack

You could use the "boot from CD" option in the BIOS. You were saying you copied the files off the disk from another computer. Put the disk in the other computer and then you can use XP's Disk Manager to format the drive properly. Some drives have a serial number or file in general that stops people from putting XP on other machines and that may be what's missing from the drive.
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

Njoutlaw88

QuoteYou could use the "boot from CD" option in the BIOS. You were saying you copied the files off the disk from another computer. Put the disk in the other computer and then you can use XP's Disk Manager to format the drive properly. Some drives have a serial number or file in general that stops people from putting XP on other machines and that may be what's missing from the drive.

I am not sure what to do. I put it in on my other computer as a salve drive but It doesn't boot up. I might just buy a new hard drive. Do they sell harddrives at walmart?

BonesTM

I believe they do. Here's a link to the thier online store.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=123110&path=0%3A3944%3A3964%3A132959%3A3955%3A123110

They have a few, just pick one and call your local store to see if they have it in stock.

If your not living on the edge.....
   Well, your just taking up to much Space!
2005 Suzuki Z400, ProTaper, K&N Filter, ProArmor SwingArm Plate, ASV C5 Levers, Pro Armor Skid Plate, Maxxis Razars Rear, ITP Holeshot Front
2004 Yamaha 350 Bruin 4x4

TRX350_On_The_Rack

It's probably a virus in the boot sector. If you are able to read it as a slave then the drive should be fine. I wouldn't go to Wal Mart for a drive. Go to Comp USA, Bestbuy, Circuit City or www.pricewatch.com for a new drive.
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com