GoPro Hero 3

Started by Thunderdually, October 17, 2012, 08:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderdually

"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

patches206

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
Quad32Ex-laxblows!
Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!

digginfool

Already ordered mine.  I've been waiting for a GoPro that had an external mic input.  Can't wait to mount it on my Cobra!  I'll post some video with clear soundtracks once I get it.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

klutchbuster400

I'll probably be buying the white version later this year. Pretty excited for it! Gonna use it mainly for mountain biking as the quad is still out of commission but once it's up and running I can't wait to try it out on the track!

Thunderdually

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on October 28, 2012, 04:07:03 PM
I'll probably be buying the white version later this year. Pretty excited for it! Gonna use it mainly for mountain biking as the quad is still out of commission but once it's up and running I can't wait to try it out on the track!

Unless you want the built in WI-FI the go pro 2 is a better deal (IMHO) then the Hero 3 white.  They are the same price. The hero 2   is 11 0MP where  as the hero 3 white is only 5 0MP

If you haven't already done so check out prices and specs here...  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/GoPro-Camcorders/pcmcat240800050019.c?id=pcmcat240800050019
"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

Thunderdually

A pretty good video explaining the difference in the different models...

  GoPro Hero 3 - Everything You Need To Know
"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

klutchbuster400

#6
Quote from: Thunderdually on October 28, 2012, 04:42:41 PM
Quote from: klutchbuster400 on October 28, 2012, 04:07:03 PM
I'll probably be buying the white version later this year. Pretty excited for it! Gonna use it mainly for mountain biking as the quad is still out of commission but once it's up and running I can't wait to try it out on the track!

Unless you want the built in WI-FI the go pro 2 is a better deal (IMHO) then the Hero 3 white.  They are the same price. The hero 2   is 11 0MP where  as the hero 3 white is only 5 0MP

If you haven't already done so check out prices and specs here...  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/GoPro-Camcorders/pcmcat240800050019.c?id=pcmcat240800050019


I'm pretty sure that's only for the picture mode, but their HDMI video is exactly the same. The Built in WiFi is the main reason I want the 3. Won't be needing the controller from the black so the White should be fine.

EDIT: Derp, I had the silver one mixed up with the white. You were right the white is only 5 while the silver is 11.

digginfool

My Hero 3 Black came in today!  Can't wait to try it out.  Bad part is there is an update that must be installed right out of the box.  WTF?!?!   ???
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

gmiller0737

I just picked up a Hero 3 Silver for a Smoking Deal @ Best Buy was a Open Box Return (Nothing Missing) Was Marked Down from $299 to $254 + They had a additional 30% off all open box Cameras & Had a $25 gift card to use so I only paid a little over $150 out the door,Updated the Firmware & it now can be controled through My iPhone,Still got to try it out while riding but for that price I couldn't pass it up! Glad I waited was going to buy the Hero 2 before We went to Hatfield McCoy in October but decided to wait & it paid off.

Thunderdually

Quote from: digginfool on November 14, 2012, 03:22:01 PM
My Hero 3 Black came in today!  Can't wait to try it out.  Bad part is there is an update that must be installed right out of the box.  WTF?!?!   ???


Let us know how you like it..


I decided I am going to wait and see if it's worth it to put out 400.00. I already have the gopro 2. And I bought the wireless back pack to go with it which was a waste of money for me because I like to use the battery back pack and you can't use both at the same time.  And as I already have the wireless remote I can't see spending an extra 100.00 for something I already have.

By the way if any one wants a wireless back pack and the LCD back pack let me know I have them for sale.. neither one has been used.
"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

digginfool

Finally had a chance to try it out today.  The picture quality is excellent.  I am disappointed with the audio, though.  I purchased the roll bar mount, attached it to my Cobra and went out for a ride.  The only thing you can hear (except when I'm standing on it but even then pretty shabby) is the fuel pump.  to put in perspective, this car is loud.  I mean, really loud.  Makes my deaf ass cringe sometimes.  Barely audible on the recording, even using the skeleton back.  I waited to buy a GoPro for one that had an external audio connection because I had heard of the wind noise/attenuation issues.  The Hero3 has it but uses the USB port and an adaptor cable which, of course, is unaccessable when in any of the cases.  I'm a bit pissed.  I'm thinking of getting a Frame for it and cutting an access to the USB to try that but then, the camera is completely unprotected.  For what I was primarily looking to use the camera for, it was a waste of money.  Quite frankly, if you wanted to hear audio action, I don't recommend this camera.  If it can't hear 500 HP through open pipes, it will never hear you hootin' while your dippin' into the curl.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

AintSkeered

Hootin while you're dippin in the curl? You haole!
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

digginfool

I admit I had to look up that word.  Good one!  However, I'm not a foreigner when it comes to surfing.  I grew up a block from the beach in Indialantic and spent more than my fair share of time surfing.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

AintSkeered

Yep, me too! Grew up on 47th and Alton Road, South Beach local before it was fashionable, spent four consecutive 30-day vacations @ a bud's house in Haleiwa, one Malibu sesion, one trip to Acapulco and countless sessions @ Sebastian and Spanish House.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Thunderdually

Quote from: digginfool on November 17, 2012, 04:18:34 PM
Finally had a chance to try it out today.  The picture quality is excellent.  I am disappointed with the audio, though.  I purchased the roll bar mount, attached it to my Cobra and went out for a ride.  The only thing you can hear (except when I'm standing on it but even then pretty shabby) is the fuel pump.  to put in perspective, this car is loud.  I mean, really loud.  Makes my deaf ass cringe sometimes.  Barely audible on the recording, even using the skeleton back.  I waited to buy a GoPro for one that had an external audio connection because I had heard of the wind noise/attenuation issues.  The Hero3 has it but uses the USB port and an adaptor cable which, of course, is unaccessable when in any of the cases.  I'm a bit pissed.  I'm thinking of getting a Frame for it and cutting an access to the USB to try that but then, the camera is completely unprotected.  For what I was primarily looking to use the camera for, it was a waste of money.  Quite frankly, if you wanted to hear audio action, I don't recommend this camera.  If it can't hear 500 HP through open pipes, it will never hear you hootin' while your dippin' into the curl.

Well that sux that you don't have very good sound.. I have been on some of the forums for GoPro  and so far I haven't seen any one complain about sound.  The sound is great on my Hero 2 in fact it is to good when I wear the chest mount because some times depending on how high I wear it I can hear my heart beat in the video.

So now that you have a hero 3 are we going to see recent videos of you    hootin' while your dippin' into the curl  ;D
"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

digginfool

I haven't been on a surfboard in more years than I'm willing to admit (although I got on a longboard in Daytona this past summer - that was fun).  Plus, half way through my stint in Indialantic, we moved to the Intracoastal where skiing became my activity of choice.  I cut the buoys until I was well into my 30s where a rotator injury ended that activity.  I'm working on getting something together to upload to Photobucket with my Cobra.  Let me work on it a day or two and see what there is to see.  I want to edit out my face so you clowns won't know me if you see me on the street.  LOL
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

digginfool

Looking back on it, it's kind of amusing how much of a kick we got out of finally being on a wave tall enough to get your hair wet.  Surfing Indialantic is hardly riding the Pipeline.  There's a reason they call that area the Small Wave Capital of the World.  Good form but not much substance.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

AintSkeered

World champs Kelly Slater, Jeff Crawford and others are from that small wave capital. I did it for 30 years until I got so old I had to jump surf on jetskis. Retired from that right after me, my son and bro-in law rode super clean 10-12 Ivan swells off Jupiter Inlet and lived to tell about it. Not one other jetski or boat went out Jupiter Inlet that day because the surf broke all the way across and you had to race out between sets. Good times, but, stupid.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

klutchbuster400

So is the extra megapixel of video quality worth the $100 price gap between the silver and black?

I don't really care for the wifi remote, I'll be fine with the wifi app on my smart phone.

I'm thinking of just grabbing the Silver since I don't think the video quality will be all that different.

Thunderdually

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on November 25, 2012, 04:23:11 PM
So is the extra megapixel of video quality worth the $100 price gap between the silver and black?

I don't really care for the wifi remote, I'll be fine with the wifi app on my smart phone.

I'm thinking of just grabbing the Silver since I don't think the video quality will be all that different.

IMHO NO  it isn't ..  Not for those of us that all ready have bought the wifi remote..  I have the hero 2 and it works great for me.  I do like some of the extra's like better low light and the burst mode that will stitch the pics together on the black edition.   Only reason I was considering the black was because it does  have built in wifi..  which means I could use my battery pack and still have wifi.
As it is now if I want to use the wifi I can't use my battery back pack.  But I am not going to pay another hundred dollars for a remote when I all ready have it.. 
"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"


Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4

klutchbuster400

#20
Quote from: Thunderdually on November 25, 2012, 08:19:03 PM
Quote from: klutchbuster400 on November 25, 2012, 04:23:11 PM
So is the extra megapixel of video quality worth the $100 price gap between the silver and black?

I don't really care for the wifi remote, I'll be fine with the wifi app on my smart phone.

I'm thinking of just grabbing the Silver since I don't think the video quality will be all that different.

IMHO NO  it isn't ..  Not for those of us that all ready have bought the wifi remote..  I have the hero 2 and it works great for me.  I do like some of the extra's like better low light and the burst mode that will stitch the pics together on the black edition.   Only reason I was considering the black was because it does  have built in wifi..  which means I could use my battery pack and still have wifi.
As it is now if I want to use the wifi I can't use my battery back pack.  But I am not going to pay another hundred dollars for a remote when I all ready have it..  
Well the silver has the Built in Wifi as well, I think even the white does too.

EDIT: Yeah just checked, all the 3 series has built in wifi.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com