ONF - Wandering Wiregrass Trail

Started by kdclere, June 05, 2011, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdclere

This thread will have info regarding the Wandering Wiregrass OHV Trail located off of Lake County Road 445 (CR445) near Alexander Springs on the Ocala National Forest.

The trail is approximately 17 miles in length and is a loop that follows through a Long Leaf Pine ecosystem.  Most riders I speak with say they ride in a counter-clockwise direction on this trail.  Although all trails on the Ocala National Forest are designed two-way for slow speeds and enjoyment of nature, the majority of riders tend to follow this trail counter-clockwise, as do I when I am conducting trail maintenance from ATV, UTV, tractor or truck.  Again this is a two-way trail, but most riders go counter-clockwise.

I will be updating this thread when maintenance is performed, special events are planned, temporary closures are inacted, and to answer any questions you may have.  This is done as polite service to you the rider and is not required by the Ocala National Forest.  I just like to keep everyone as informed as I can and encourage you to come out! 

Thanks, Kris

kdclere

MAINTENANCE UPDATE:
For the week of May 29th-June 4th

I was able to get an ATV with a mechanized Trail Rake attachment out on both Tuesday and Friday for a total of about 10 hours of actual trail grooming time.  I began at the Trail Head entrance and traveled south on the trail until reaching FR 61, where the trail shares the road at the bottom point.  So I have worked on the western stretch of the trail.  The Wiregrass has been badly "whooped out" for awhile now and I intend to knock these down so that it is easier for me to maintain now that I am back from an overseas deployment.  If they were on a scale of 1-10, (10 being very badly whooped and bermed, and 1 being as smooth as possible), the western stretch of trail would have been a 9 or 10 prior to last week.  Now I would say it is closer to a 4.  I plan on doing another run or two on it to get it as close to smooth as possible before continuing up the eastern stretch.

I hope this helps you plan you trail riding better and I hope to have you out there having fun on well-groomed trails very soon!  Bring friends and family to ride, each new rider to the trail system helps us out in many ways!

-Thanks, Kris

08Honda400EX

I'd like to see this equipment that you are using to groom trails, got a picture or link?
Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM

kdclere


patches206

Nice little piece of equipment but that has to take forever and with miles of trails OMG.
(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
Quad32Ex-laxblows!
Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!

kdclere

Quote from: patches206 on June 06, 2011, 04:14:20 PM
Nice little piece of equipment but that has to take forever and with miles of trails OMG.
It isn't too bad.  It just depends on the amount of trail that is very bad versus what just needs to be upkept.  The stretches on the Wiregrass where I just groomed took a total of 5 hours each day for what turns out to be about 8 miles.  Being that I have knocked down a lot of the whoops, now it would take half a much time for the same distance. 

Busta Nutt

I thought they bought a special little dozer for the maintenance

kdclere

We do have a small trail dozer as well.  I can complete more work with an ATV and Rake in regards to trail upkeep.
The dozer is used for new trail, trail that has become bermed high in corners (happens a lot on the north end of the forest), sections with a lot of roots and so on.  For whoops, the trail rake works almost as well as the dozer, but takes less time to operate.  We also try to take a second rake or atv with tire drag in tandem when grooming when available personnel allows.
Currently we have good, stable amount of helpful equipment, but we rely on volunteers during the winter months for our big trail maintenance push!  If anyone is ever interested in volunteering please contact the Ranger Station and ask for OHV personnel at 352-625-2520.
Thanks!

grizzly04

Thanks Kris, for all the helpful info.  Appreciate your efforts



Ranger

If you find a big axle nut and a few aluminum spacers at the northeast end of the trails, let me know...I lost some off the axle of my ATV last time I rode there

kdclere

Will do!  I am working on another project right now and may not make it back out to work on that area of the trail until Friday, but I will keep my eyes peeled.
-Kris

Mars

Thanks for posting the info Kris. I did not make it to that trail this year but I have been on it two or three times.
I did make the trail maintenance day in Delancy last fall. Not much time off this year, but I'm employed and I'm not bitchin.
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.