west lake delancey..aka ocala

Started by bftclub, May 17, 2005, 04:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bftclub

does anyone have any info on this campground?i have searched the internet and cannot find it...plus is it as crowded as scrub?how do i get there from ft.lauderdale via turnpike?
thanks
going there memorial day weekend if i get info

bftclub

 ???come on people,,don't be shy now!!!!

CEC

State Road 19 north though Salt springs to FR 77 take a left, about 3 or4 miles on left.
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

NPRVinson

QuoteState Road 19 north though Salt springs to FR 77 take a left, about 3 or4 miles on left.

That's left on FR 75

CEC

your right... it is FR 75     Last night when I typed in 77 before i could correct it the web site went down    So here is my correction
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

bftclub

thanks for the reply..is it better than scrub as far as not being as crowded?

CEC

I've only been to scrub 1 time and it was during the week so it was not crowded.I've never camped at delancey, how ever i have ridden though it many,many times.Where scrub campground is open,delancey is very wooded with woods in between a lot of the campsites.Just like scrub, delancey has lots and lots of trails.
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

CEC

I've also heard of a place where you can ride from the campground and they have ele. and water and a pool,gameroom,I have not tryed it yet.I am going in july.It is in Umatilla.           Ocala forest campground    Have you been there or heard of it?
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

bftclub

yes,been there...has all the amenities,,but  no direct forest access..must ride down side of highway 4 miles to get to place where you can get into forest...plus alot of snow birds when i was there in march..i was the only person there that was riding,and everybody other than me was 50 yrs.old or older.....

CEC

When I called the guy at ocala forest campground he said" that you could ride right from the site" but he also said" you do have to ride on the side of road to get to the start of the trails"       How for do you have to ride next to the road?        Will anybody mess with you going down the side of the road i wonder?  
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

susieblazer


 As long as you stay along the side u r fine.........pass the gas station and just ahead is "airport road" hang a right into forest.......have fun........and yes the snowbirds are in Ocala Forest Campground from late Oct to right after Easter, any other times John's place is filled with atv's, dirt bikes and railbuggies.........been going there since 1980, its a great place................
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

bftclub

can you get to lake delancey campground from big scrub on rt588...? or does it take along time...

B-LIGHT

SORRY TO BUTT IN bftclub, BUT I LOOKED AT MY MAP AND ITS APROX. 26 MILES AS THE CROW FLIES...SO ITS A RIDE... HOPE IT HELPED...

Moose

There are two campgrounds at Lake Delancey, side by side. The east one, NO atv's. The west one is atv friendly. Never camped there, but rode from there twice and rode through a few times. Looks like a good place to camp, plenty of shade that big scrub has a lack of. The only water I have found is on the east side, run a hose over and to your camp. Might be more, never realy looked. Last time there I saw NO shower or power, one bathroom. The place is almost empty most of the time, only once have I seen lots of campers there. I will try it sometime myself.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Moose

Looks like camping at the Ocala Forest Campground and riding to the forest might be out. They just closed 8200 acres from 42 north to 587. Some spots not marked, so it might be private, or just a few places you can still ride. Just trying to help out. Here's the link.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/local-resources/images/maps/oca/Linadale%20maps.pdf
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

CEC

I just spoke with john from ocala forest campground he said that he was meeting with rangers on monday about the closure and how long it will be closed.He said that they would have to make up new maps that they hand out and he would get some.I have to call him back next week.
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

Moose

I have no idea exactly which trails you would use to access the forest from the campground, just trying to help. I have been wanting to go there myself with my son, and it didn't look good to me. I would like an update when it is available, because I want to take my son there the middle of June if possible.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

CEC

Thanks for the info on the closure.I'll be going in july and if it is still closed I'm still going to go and I'll just trailer my atv's somewhere.It looks like scrub is not that far and i bet that there are other areas to unload.I'll post more info when i talk to john next week. He said that if we could not ride from the site that he would find where we could un load real close by.
2001 EZ GO LIFTED 5 INCHES ON 22'S
04 400 EX
04 400 EX
05 Terminator 50
06 Polaris Pred. 90
99 Kaw. KX 100

susieblazer

 [smiley=ThumbsUp.gif]

       John is THE MAN!!!! Don't worry he will keep you informed.....

 Happy riding.....................
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

GSPKurt

Rodman is very close to Delancy, just a few miles further north. Big Scrub is further south. Delancy looked very nice, but no water or electricity that I could see. I think it will be very buggy due to its proximity to the lake and marsh areas.
Kurt [smiley=drive.gif]
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

AintSkeered

I wouldn't be so confident about riding down the side of the forest road 573. Forest roads are unpaved, dirt roads and are off limits to ATVs/dirt bikes. Today, at Big Scrub, the Forest Service ticketed many, many people riding alongside 573, not on it. AND, 6 guys told me that the Forest Service pulled up to them when they'd just pulled up to cross the road, decided to stop and then next thing they know they were ticketed. I think it sucks but cars and trucks are doing 50-70 mph on those dirt roads.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

lee33

Memorial day weekend we went to Lake Delancy.  It was cool.  Alot of whoops on the main trails, but alot of side trail.  You can ride your bike out of the camp ground, rangers came by about 3 times a day.  No water, electric, and one bathroom that wasn't emptied the whole weekend, water is located at Lake Delancy East, hand pump.  Not too crowded, I thought it was going to be worse.  Not all camp sites have grills or pinic tables, people there were friendly.  Kids have to have helmets and can't ride bikes that are too big according to the manufacturer, rangers will give a warning or a ticket.  We are planning another trip 4th of July weekend.  Only $6 per night per vehicle to camp.

AintSkeered

How much farther north up 19 is Delancy?
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

apkkfx400

I would estimate West Lake Delancey is about 30-40mins past big scrub-it definately is nicer as far as the shade goes.  The whoops get old, real quick like.  There are some really nice, fast trails out there though the whoops just suck to go thru and even worse on the way back to the main parking area.  I was just out there about 3 wks ago-from about 1pm to 4pm and the mosquitoes, bugs, etc. were horrible-bring some good repellent-'OFF' wasn't enough.  It was a nice picnic/rest area and alright riding area.  Still in search of better riding spots in ONF.

v125

Got to Delancey Thursday of Memorial Day weekend and thought it was the greatest.  Great trails and great campsites.  On Friday everything changed.  The whole place filled up.  Inconsiderate people (adults as well as kids) speeding through campsites; blowing up dust all over.  That made me especially upset when I was cooking and it was getting in my food.  Packs of loud kids running around past 10 P.m. which is supposed to be quiet time and a generator running all night.  Hey, I have kids but I try to teach them to be considerate of others. Will never go back on a holiday again.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com