400 ex top end reassembly

Started by duroc825, November 21, 2010, 04:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duroc825

05 416 EX, Stage 2 hot cam, 11:1 piston.  Replaced my head gasket that was leaking. Put it all back together and it turns over but doesn't fire. Cam sprocket was aligned properly at TDC. Cam lobes installed down. When I go to adjust valves there is no play in rocker arms. I've turned it over a few times to TDC and still no play. Valves were adjusted not long ago. Never any starting problems prior to disassembly. Any ideas as to what I did wrong???????????

duroc825


OPowersports

Double check your timing marks. If the valves are tight they have to be adjusted.
750 King Quad, VDI, M109R injector, HMF swamp series, Custom Front Sheave, 2mm shim, lime green spring, 20 gram rollers, 27" swamplites, Fully Snorkeled.

bseckel

at TDC the cam lobes are not supposed to be down. On my 450 the intake lobes are facing towards the back of the bike.

duroc825

I put the cam back in the way it was and that was facing down at TDC. I started taking it back apart and noticed when I loosen the valve cover bolts the rocker arms get loose. Gonna try and adjust valves, just don't understand why everything was fine till I took it apart. I didn't disassemble the valves themselves so clearance shouldn't have changed right?

duroc825

YEP! It was valve clearance. Never would have thought I would have to re adjust valves that much.

Baileygunns

#6
When your valves are on their way out you have to adjust them more often...  

duroc825

I didn't mean that much related to time, I meant that much as in distance.
All together and running strong like an EX!

Chillinthemost

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

trx#9

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

Baileygunns

That much in distance is a sign too... Your valve faces "cup" and get pulled into you seats. When you're valve are on the way out they will suck in faster and more easily. So the gap will close more often time wise and also more clearance wise...

Just something to keep an eye on.

duroc825

Oh! Now you two show up (Chillin and TRX9)! At least Chillin had an excuse (racing). I still don't understand how they got that far out of tolerance by just removing the entire valve assembly. Got it all back together and did some much needed riding out back of the house. Had to burn off some frustration and now I gotta wait another two weeks for a race.
By the way how'd ya do Saturday Chillin?