Rancho in North Lakeland?

Started by 08Honda400EX, October 26, 2010, 11:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

08Honda400EX

I've heard people talk about a place to ride in the far north end of lakeland off US98 called rancho.  Anyone ever heard of this place?  Where exactly is it and is it legal?  Any details would be appreicated!
Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM

raptor660r1987

go past 471 and you will come to 54 turn left and is bout 1 mile on the left and i don't know if its legal but no one really even cares out there i go pretty regular

08Honda400EX

Yeah I finally found it on google earth.  I might give it a try during the week sometime, just worried about my truck getting broken in to at a place like that.
Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM

cheese

rancho is on the east side of zhills close to where 54 meets 98.   Been many times & here is what i can tell ya: pay to park in the lot on 54; you'll see the sign on fri, sat & sun. I heard all the stories too: people being robbed at gunpoint, break-ins, bin laden hiding out there, etc, but never had a problem.  Would I say CWP worthy? Sure, just like all of Florida.  Sure you see some shady characters, but overall most people you meet out there are decent folks looking for a place to ride.
Terrain is a mix of wooded trails, mud bogs, & wide trails which were going to be the development's roads.  No hills and a lot of sugar sand.  Many of the trails are whooped, especially the main roads.   It's dusty and dry right now so a dust mask is recommended and goggles are mandatory.  Around feb- april the place gets really muddy & flooded. Since it doesn't rain much then I think swiftmud has some flood control going on with the lakes on the neighboring property.  I would estimate it's about 1500 - 2000 acres.
I went last weekend only because I didn't have time to make it to Dirty Foot. If you haven't been, it's worth checking out for a change of scenery.

08Honda400EX

So there is a lot you can pay to park at?  Is the lot not open during the week?
Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM

jayman

PLEASE BE CAREFUL

It is hunting season and there are hunters there that hunt.............they do not like for you to disturb their wildlife.......Remember they have guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

z400250

Quote from: jayman on November 04, 2010, 02:11:29 PM
PLEASE BE CAREFUL

It is hunting season and there are hunters there that hunt.............they do not like for you to disturb their wildlife.......Remember they have guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




I think open gun season doesnt start till dec for the rancho area.
[url="//www.tampabayridindirty.com"]www.tampabayridindirty.com[/url]

08Honda400EX

I will be, I Conceal Carry everywhere I go anyways lol
Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM

jayman

Quote from: 08Honda400EX on November 04, 2010, 07:44:33 PM
I will be, I Conceal Carry everywhere I go anyways lol

We do too.... Although for some reason I do not think that will help when a bullet comes from a 1/2 mile away lol
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

kdagenais

From what I was told the ones doing the hunting is the owners and they really don't want you out there during hunting season. Heard this from several sources but never been able to verify. Either way just makes sense not to go during hunting season for everybody's sake. Nothing kills a fun day better than someone getting accidently shot.

dj_pizzim

AS per the letter of the law riding out there without the written consent of a property owner is Trespassing and you can and many have been issued tickets. I haven't been out there in a long time however i can tell you when i did go out there every now and then we would hear that the cops were out there the day before, week before ect, they never make consistent patrols more so just show up after someone reports theft a stolen car out their or what not. My understanding is the guy with the parking lot owns the property he lets you park on but from what i remember the area you ride on is owned by many different people ( think RR )


YMMV
07 Yfz450
05 Honda Rincon

www.RNRwheels.com
www.Onlypowersports.com
www.floridamotoplex.com
www.fairtax.org

greenmachine

it was an old land scam like River Ranch was when it started long ago. All the landowners are either dead or out of state and they dont show up. It is swamp land that was sold a long time ago and no one built there because when it does rain it is a swamp.

z400250

[url="//www.tampabayridindirty.com"]www.tampabayridindirty.com[/url]

jayman

2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

z400250

[url="//www.tampabayridindirty.com"]www.tampabayridindirty.com[/url]

jayman

This is a GREAT find.....  I think everyone needs to watch it!!!  yes it is extremely long but you really need to watch this

2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

z400250

Quote from: jayman on November 12, 2010, 07:37:16 PM
This is a GREAT find.....  I think everyone needs to watch it!!!  yes it is extremely long but you really need to watch this



yeah its deff long!! the web is a great place. I will have to see if I can find any newer workshops on this place.
[url="//www.tampabayridindirty.com"]www.tampabayridindirty.com[/url]

jayman

I am still watching it (1 hour and 46 min)  :o
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

08Honda400EX

Haven;t had a chance to watch it and I will, but would someone give a summary?
Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM

jayman

#19
it is a workshop by the county to rid Rancho and the illegal activities that happen there

I am glad to see this is a priority to the county to assist the neighbors and land owners to rid the filth that is continuous there
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

z400250

I don't think its really a priority, as they say in the workshop that it is a long time problem area and that at that point they don't have any solutions. But it is something that they are aware of. With all the budget cuts I'm sure their level of priority for rancho has dropped drasticly! They also state that they cant really tresspass anybody because they don't know whos land is whos because there is not many of the propterties that have been surveyed!!!


[url="//www.tampabayridindirty.com"]www.tampabayridindirty.com[/url]

duroc825

Quote from: jayman on November 12, 2010, 08:37:58 PM
it is a workshop by the county to rid Rancho and the illegal activities that happen there

I am glad to see this is a priority to the county to assist the neighbors and land owners to rid the filth that is continuous there
I wouldn't call it a priority seein it's dated back in December 2008! I know Polk County is a little slow but still don't think it's a priority!  ;D

QuadMAN2k5

I was there yesterday and I had a blast. Everyone was really friendaly and it is HUGE.  I rode witha rew people that live out there and this is what they tolf me:

   It was supposed to be a neighborhood/subdivision. They started tearing down the forest (the unfinished roads are what's left) and they found an endangered turtle species and they were forced to stop construction.

I loved it out there.  lost of trails, mud pits, open areas.  There are places to ride alone  or with people. HUUUGE

I am goign this weekend agian if anyone wants to join
muddin is the shiat!

JOE3504x4

What day are you going?? I was thinkin about checking it out on Sunday...
Ideal Automotive
8507 Adamo Drive Tampa
www.idealauto.com
Mine *09 BRUTE FORCE 750efi, Full snorkel, pink primary/red secondary and EPI weights, 2" lift, 28" Silverbacks and some other stuff...
Her's * 4x4 Wolverine 350 - Stock
Kid's * Bayou 250 - Stock

QuadMAN2k5

I going to go on Sunday too. We should ride.  Have you been before?
muddin is the shiat!