What quad to buy?

Started by hsi579, February 04, 2010, 02:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsi579

Okay need some input.... I had a blaster before, sold it and bought a 2005 yfz450. I've had nothing but problems with the yfz so i'm getting rid of it. What should I buy now? Z400, Ltr450, 450r???....

Thanks!


I ride mostly trails, like jumping, haven't raced yet not sure if I have time to race.

gearhead400

Nothing but problems huh? Red or blue for trails imo. Honda or yamaha. 450 for sure
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

buythisatvstuff

I'm not recommending a particular brand, but more of what to look for in a bike. If you already had a 450 my guess is you'll miss that power if you go to a 400, so stick with a 450. If you're looking for a good handling machine but aren't into racing, consider one that leaves room in your budget for shocks. You'll love aftermarket shocks and how they change the feel of the quad in the trails and when jumping. If shocks are out of the question, look for a newer model that already has top of the line shocks like the KTM. all brands have been stepping up their suspensions to call their machines "race ready", so the newer the better. But most importantly, imho, is buy used that has been well taken care of. You'll avoid that initial inequity and spend less overall leaving more for gas, Croom stickers, shocks, pipe, etc. And with the economy the way it is there are tons of great deals out there on already set up 450s. Good luck with your purchase.
"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !

gearhead400

gato's 04 450r is $2,500. the only real problem they had (i think) on those were the frames were a little weak, but if you don't ride really hard, like someone that races would, you should be fine. Gusset the frame and your in good shape for anything you throw at it if that concerns you. Can't go wrong with a honda. They may not always be the top of the line in performance, but they are built well!
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

Baileygunns

Gato's 450R looks nice... I would do something like that or find a dirt cheap 450R and put some work in it...  Never heard anything about weak frames on the Hondas. All frames tent to crack under hard race conditions. They sell gusset kits for all of them.

I would stick with the 450R. Hondas are known for being dependable.

Gulley421

I bought a 2008 kfx450r for trail riding at croom and I have no complaints about it.  Fuel injected w/reverse and they have other colors besides green... ;D

Last year I started racing flat track with it and it more than holds its own with only a few mods.    Going Green has more than one meaning...

Just another option.
*2009 SDTA Pro/Am Champion*

Scott Gulley Customs
Wicked Scare Productions Inc.
Outpost Cycles

crom A zone

i got kfx 400 with few parts from wall mart and it takes all abuse and come back looking for more     
2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift

hsi579


Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com