Questions on my '88 TRX300FW

Started by MiamiE, December 04, 2009, 10:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiE

Ok finally got everything tuned up, still wont start. There is no spark when I kickstart the bike. I swapped a new coil onto it and tried it also with the old one. Still no spark. Tank was cleaned and filled with 87. New fuel filter. New air filter. New plug. New oil/filter.  Clean carb. Battery works and was charged. The lights turn on. You can read about the electrical problem here: http://forum.highlifter.com/88-300-wont-start-but-has-electricty-m3851268.aspx Thats a whole other issue. I just want you all to see the motor area with the glue, and the rearend. What do you think about it? Has the rearend been swapped in? Looks like the gear oil fill has been cracked. Do you think the motor has been messed with? It has compression. Let me know what you think. This was a $450 buy last weekend.
























1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
25" Vampires

1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
25" Stockers

foreman1

Hate to say it but the bike is rough.
Judging from the pictures it appears that the head bolts have tool marks on them not to mention the
the silicone around the valve covers.
Where's the bike from , the florida keys?
Way too much rust on that rear end , might not be the original rear.

Check the CDI box , my 300 had no spark and it turned out to be the CDI.
Good Luck
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

MiamiE

I changed the starter solenoid and got it to spark. Tore down my other 300 today also!
1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
25" Vampires

1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
25" Stockers

foreman1

Quote from: MiamiE on December 07, 2009, 03:48:02 AM
I changed the starter solenoid and got it to spark. Tore down my other 300 today also!

Damn , thats a first for me.
Never heard of a starter soleniod causing that problem.
Good deal , I'll keep that one in mind.
Thanks
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

Mars

Quote from: foreman1 on December 07, 2009, 03:53:17 AM
Quote from: MiamiE on December 07, 2009, 03:48:02 AM
I changed the starter solenoid and got it to spark. Tore down my other 300 today also!

Damn , thats a first for me.
Never heard of a starter soleniod causing that problem.
Good deal , I'll keep that one in mind.
Thanks

I'm sure he ment the relay. Like on lights, a relay may be activatend by a momentary switch. That CDI may be fed by the strarting relay.
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.