Tranny problem on RZR **UPDATE**

Started by IXIswamperIXI, May 26, 2009, 12:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXIswamperIXI

Reading up on my problem with the RZR I found someone with a similar problem.  The linkage inside the tranny broke and slips between gears.  HOPEFULLY this is it!!!  BUT I have to take the motor,tranny,transfer case, and rear end out to get to this particular problem.  We shall see... this is as far as I got this weekend.



I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

98sheerips

so i guess that bead of silicone we were talking about is the least of your problems.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: 98sheerips on May 26, 2009, 12:38:13 AM
so i guess that bead of silicone we were talking about is the least of your problems.

LOL yea I guess so
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

98sheerips

what year is your rzr? shouldnt it still be under warranty?

IXIswamperIXI

Its an 08 but it won't be under warranty with traces of the water I got in the tranny, plus I have cut and mod. a few things.  ???
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Keeter

You got four days to fix it. Now get off the computer and get out to the garage.
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Keeter on May 26, 2009, 01:15:10 PM
You got four days to fix it. Now get off the computer and get out to the garage.

LOL I am trying, I am at my shop now, and my RZR is at home in the garage.  I have a few tools to get from here then I should be able to pull the motor today or tomorrow.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

Sorry about not posting it in Tech. just a brain fart I guess.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

98sheerips


IXIswamperIXI

motor is now out, what a F* pain even going step by step with a service manual.  I hope this is not an indication of how the rest of this is going to be!  I might know late tomorrow whats wrong.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI



Its my understanding that the other person that had a simalar problem said that the little nob on the right of #44 is what failed.  Hopefully I will know tonight.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

well I won't know for a while.  I can have over a million dollars in tools and still have to order another tool  >:( anyway I have to order it tomorrow.  So aggravating!!
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Keeter

That sux.  Hang in there. Sometimes buying a used one is worth more than aggravating another.
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

IXIswamperIXI

Well I found the problem... some how one of my detent ball fell out and rolled around. Now I am trying to figure out how it came out?


You can see the spring out that held the detent ball


This was on the bottom of the tranny, I think it is #30 on the diagram

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

98sheerips

#30 kinda looks like a spacer. the thing you got in your hand doesnt look anything like it.

IXIswamperIXI

It was the only thing I could find missing in the assembly.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Keeter

Stop screwing around and go to www.atvquadsquad.com  jeeesh!
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

98sheerips

i would love to know how whatever that is got so tore up like that.

Keeter

Quote from: 98sheerips on May 31, 2009, 01:51:02 AM
i would love to know how whatever that is got so tore up like that.
Grocery getter.   ;)
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: 98sheerips on May 31, 2009, 01:51:02 AM
i would love to know how whatever that is got so tore up like that.

I might find out monday or tuesday from the shop.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

OK this first pic is where the shifter lever rests in PARK.  Notice how far it is past the detent ball location, the hole on the lever should line up with the hollow bolt threads.  Its ok in this location the ball would not be able to come out.  BUT on the next pic you can see how far the lever can move physically before it can't go anymore.






Now if you notice "PARK" is in the upright position, on this picture if you move the lever further right it will look like the pic above.  There is nothing that stops it from moving right.



I have a few theories here:
1) The common "P" not showing on the dash and I pushed it too far trying to get the "P" to show up
2) Something possibly physically (ie: stick,mud,rock) moved the lever at the same time I put it into park.
3) I did adjust the linkage (to get the "P" to show up on the dash) I might of adjusted it slightly to far plus push the shifter too far

Either way, why would the lever physically move that far?!?!  :banghead.gif
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

Well folks the RZR is officially put back together as of Sunday.  Bought all my fluids (motor oil, tranny, transfer case, front end, rear end, and radiator fluid) $140 worth  :(  Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for tomorrow, I will be trying to start it up.  CRAP!! As I am sitting here writting this (constantly thinking of what I might forget) and I just realized my gas is probably bad ::)  (about 6 months old) oh man I hope I don't have to pull the tank to drain it.  Crap Crap Crap.  Well I will let you guys know how it goes.  I am itching to ride!
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Chevy1500z71

#22
did you bring that bottom end in to cypress cycle? i could swear that workbench looks familiar in that picture...

edit: im damn near sure that picture is at cypress now that i look at again and see the bottle of colonel brassy lol, nobody else would have that.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Chevy1500z71 on November 03, 2009, 01:43:45 AM
did you bring that bottom end in to cypress cycle? i could swear that workbench looks familiar in that picture...

edit: im damn near sure that picture is at cypress now that i look at again and see the bottle of colonel brassy lol, nobody else would have that.

Yes I did they did a good job just couldn't find someone to help me put the motor in so I had to borrow a boom truck to set it in nice and easy by myself. 
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Chevy1500z71

yea, i worked there for about a year. i remember seeing that thing on the bench for a while.