usf of tampa housing

Started by mikeE36, May 26, 2009, 04:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeE36

Any ideas on the best housing up there? I'm going in 6 months.

Thanks

mrbones

#1
I graduated USF in '96. Back then the off campus housing area was called "suit case city". It probably still is and it's primarily low income housing. I used to live just south of the mall off of 22nd st. next to the project homes. We didn't have any problems as we kept to ourselves. Any apartment complex targeting students will have a 6' fence and gate surrounding it for safety. If it doesn't, your car had a better chance of being broken into.

If your budget allows, look into the Carrolwood area as there are apartments around there or closer to I-75 off of Fletcher. Or maybe get a room mate and rent a cheap house in Lutz. That might work, too.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

garym

Quote from: mrbones on May 26, 2009, 07:44:41 PM
I graduated USF in '96. Back then the off campus housing area was called "suit case city". It probably still is and it's primarily low income housing. I used to live just south of the mall off of 22nd st. next to the project homes. We didn't have any problems as we kept to ourselves. Any apartment complex targeting students will have a 6' fence and gate surrounding it for safety. If it doesn't, your car had a better chance of being broken into.

If your budget allows, look into the Carrolwood area as there are apartments around there or closer to I-75 off of Fletcher. Or maybe get a room mate and rent a cheap house in Lutz. That might work, too.
Carrolwood off Gunn Hwy. has decent places to live...good bars also

mrbones

Try New Tampa also. Right up Bruce B Downs.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

KISSmyACE1025

Hey I'm a current USF Student...

check this place out, it's called The Edge. I have friends that live there and love it
http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1009986.php?origref=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fq%3Dthe+edge+USF%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial%26client%3Dfirefox-a&alias=http%3A//www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1009986.php

and here is a 5 mile radius search of the area
http://www.forrent.com/results.php?search_type=college&page_type_id=college&main_field=University+of+South+Florida&ssradius=5&min_price=%240&max_price=No+Limit&sbeds=99&sbaths=99&user_entered_neighborhood=Find+Your+Neighborhood&search-submit=

I toured Sterling at 42nd Street and liked it a lot.
If I had a choice I'd be living in The Lodge at Lakecrest but it's somewhat expensive (they're new, lots of amenities, good location, gated community).  Amazing though.
Sara #10
'05 Honda TRX450r & '05 Honda TRX400ex

Anoriginal

USF grad here too. Two bachelors and one MBA. Loved it. Good luck to you.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

Keeter

Quote from: Anoriginal on June 03, 2009, 09:40:45 AM
USF grad here too. Two bachelors and one MBA. Loved it. Good luck to you.

???
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

buythisatvstuff

Bones is right about suitcase city. There are plenty of nice apartments geared toward students, but many are surrounded by run down places catering to section 8 housing. You can get a nice place near Fletcher and I-75 or right next to the campus off Fletcher near the hospital, but once you go West of Bruce B. Downs it's crap city  until you get near Lake Mag heading toward Carrolwood. Check local papers  and the Oracle - the USF paper and there are always ads for roommates for off campus housing. I'd try to stay close enough to catch the Bull Run (USF bus) or ride a bike. It's murder trying to park on campus, especially in the fall when it's over run with Freshmen. I graduated there with my Bachelors a few years ago and I'm now working on my first Masters. Best of luck to you.
"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com