I got laid off last week

Started by Sleazy_Rider78, March 18, 2009, 08:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleazy_Rider78

So last week I get a request to go into my HR department just to let me know that the firm is letting me go.  All in all I am not really that upset or worried about it.  I got a total of 11 weeks severance (100% salary rate) and all my vacation time paid out.   I really see this as a blessing in disguise since I will be able to finally take some time off and study for the CPA exam.  The firm worked me like a dog and I never had time to get some quality study time.  After I get my CPA license I will put that on my resume and should be able to get a job fairly easily.  I have been in contact with a handful of recruiters and I figure I will be able to get a job with a better work / life balance.  My wife is actually really happy that I got let go, she will finally be able to spend time with me.  I can't tell you how many vacations of ours got cut short because of work.  Financially I know I will be fine, my wife and I are very smart with our money and we have built up a good cushion should the worst happen.  My buddies keep telling me to collect unemployment but my pride won't allow me.  Lord knows I have paid my dues in taxes since I was 16 years old, but I personally can't justify collecting unemployment.  I know I will move on to bigger and better things once I get another job.  For anyone else in my same situation, I feel your pain, but keep your head up and trust in God.
[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

trx#9

My wife got laid off last week as well.  :'(
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

assbandit


X-DreamChick

All i can say is don't let your pride stop you taking the unemployment. I got laid off myself and thought finding a job wouldn't be a problem. i have a MBA and over 10 years of experience to go with it and I am still out there looking. It's not as easy as it sounds finding a new job that pays the $$$$ you want especially in the financial / accounting field.

All I can say is good luck and enjoy riding in the mean time. 
Quod me non interficit me confirmat

IXIswamperIXI

Good things happen to good people!  Like you said this may be a blessing in disguise.  It says a lot about your character not wanting to take unemployment.  I understand you and many others have paid many years in taxes for the opportunity to collect unemployment.  But I believe as you do, I just can't do it either.  Let us know if you open up your doors as a CPA and you will have my business.  LOL then you can really see how broke I am.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Anoriginal

Hang in there man! Sounds like you're on task and you've got a plan. I am sure you'll be okay.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

JackL

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you and yours.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.