American Express Just Lowered My Credit Limit

Started by AmericanRobster, February 11, 2009, 07:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanRobster

I just got a phone call from American Express that they are lowering my once credit limit of $5,000 all the way down to $800. They told me that it was due to the cards lack of use and the economy has to do with it. Has this happened to anyone else yet? All that I can say is that I want to pay off all my credit card debt and put them away for awhile.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

AintSkeered

#1
It's happening to everyone and is due to the fact that our economy is so fundamentally sound. In fact, those crooks are not only lowering limits, but, suddenly raising the interest rates on existing alleged debt. Banks aren't allowed to do that on car loans, home loans, etc., but, can legally due it on credit cards because they're not considered loans and thus it's alleged debt. Since they're not considered to be loans, you can default on that alleged debt, legally. Don't believe me, just Google Debt Reduction, Debt Elimination, not Debt Consolidation(hge difference). Screw them back. Now's the time. We're forgiving these very same banks and big businesses for their bad judgment/investments/loans by bailing them out with hundreds of billions our tax dollars. You can take a bailout, too.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

crom A zone

what do you  mean de fault on credit cards.   not pay them the monthly payment
2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift

AmericanRobster

Quote from: AintSkeered on February 11, 2009, 07:58:24 PM
It's happening to everyone and is due to the fact that our economy is so fundamentally sound. In fact, those crooks are not only lowering limits, but, suddenly raising the interest rates on existing alleged debt. Banks aren't allowed to do that on car loans, home loans, etc., but, can legally due it on credit cards because they're not considered loans and thus it's alleged debt. Since they're not considered to be loans, you can default on that alleged debt, legally. Don't believe me, just Google Debt Reduction, Debt Elimination, not Debt Consolidation(hge difference). Screw them back. Now's the time. We're forgiving these very same banks and big businesses for their bad judgment/investments/loans by bailing them out with hundreds of billions our tax dollars. You can take a bailout, too.

Good point.

Does the debt reduction/elimination affect your credit score?
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

AintSkeered

Just Google it for more information. I'm not going to get into the details only because I don't get paid for it and won't waste my time debating it with the self-righteous. If you're in trouble with credit cards, I assure you that their are laws to help you and your families.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

AmericanRobster

Quote from: AintSkeered on February 11, 2009, 08:07:28 PM
Just Google it for more information. I'm not going to get into the details only because I don't get paid for it and won't waste my time debating it with the self-righteous. If you're in trouble with credit cards, I assure you that their are laws to help you and your families.

Thanks, I am not in trouble with credit cards at all, I just have a balance that I make way more than the minimum payment on in order to pay it off. I plan on just keeping it like that. I am seeking a second job too.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

AintSkeered

Great, I'm happy for you. Good luck. But, there are millions out there who aren't as fortunate as you are, especially with the increasing jobless rate.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Anoriginal

I carry an AMEX Platinum with supposedly no spending limit. Not too long ago, I went to use it for a purchase around $2500.00 and it was declined. I owed nothing. Went outside, called AMEX and they said I needed to get approval to spend that much.

I've never missed a payment. I've always paid it off within 30 days. My credit score is over 720. Didn't matter....they cut me off absent approval. That's crap.

I cancelled the card on the spot. Used another card. Good riddance.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

MedicMudder

Quote from: AintSkeered on February 11, 2009, 08:29:09 PM
Great, I'm happy for you. Good luck. But, there are millions out there who aren't as fortunate as you are, especially with the increasing jobless rate.
I don't know Robster,but The crack about being ''fortunate as you are" How bout it's possable he works his a%& off !! Thats called getting out and making something of your self!!!!.... I hate the term "fortunate ones,as your are" ect.    BOY I FEEL BETTER!!
Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
My son is a United States  Marine. :):) Semper Fidelis.
Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!

MedicMudder

Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
My son is a United States  Marine. :):) Semper Fidelis.
Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!

AmericanRobster

Yes Mudder you are correct about that I do work I disagree off. I hope that my construction job holds out long enough so I can get my credit cards paid off and just save up money.  I have a lead on a part time job and hope it goes through.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

AintSkeered

#11
Yes, Mudder you're correct. It's unfortunate that I used the word fortunate when I should have you the word thankful. Fortunate makes it sound like it was just luck that he's not in credit trouble. But, today we should all be thankful we still have jobs. Sorry. The credit card companies are raising interest rates to encourage people to pay back more cash now, before more people lose jobs and default. That's your reward as a loyal customer of theirs! In other words, "What's In Your Wallet'?
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

MedicMudder

Sorry bout the rant, that term drives me crazy!!(don't  have far to go)  :N CARD COMPANYS STILL SUCK!!!!!!
Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
My son is a United States  Marine. :):) Semper Fidelis.
Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!

TRX450R_Racer

I have one Master card. I never had an Amex card. I don't carry a balance. I pay what little I use every month. I will have to see if they lowered the limit, as far as I know it's still $30,000.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

apkkfx400

#14
I have 3 credit cards.  The one I do use, I use as little as possible and pay it off the following month.  The other 2 that just sit idle have recently been lowered by the credit companies to around $500.  The 2 that I never use have been at idle for at least 4-6 months.  I look at it as being a good thing.  Because I would much rather see someone go on a $500-800 shopping spree if someone accessed the credit card info without you knowing about it, rather than a $10,000-30,000 shopping spree.  I believe the credit card co./bank would be willing to increase the limit back if you called and asked for it. 

Maybe all of the letters read a little differently, but that is what I took from the 2 letters that were sent to me.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: AmericanRobster on February 11, 2009, 07:14:24 PM
I just got a phone call from American Express that they are lowering my once credit limit of $5,000 all the way down to $800. They told me that it was due to the cards lack of use and the economy has to do with it. Has this happened to anyone else yet? All that I can say is that I want to pay off all my credit card debt and put them away for awhile.

The exact same thing happened to me.  We buy our gas with AX (because they give me 5% off gas) and pay it off every month.  We had a $5000 limit (which we never got close to, because we just get gas with it) then we get a letter that they lowered it to $1000.  Never missed a payment so I just thought they lowered because of lack of use maybe.   
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

KAW3604x4

I haven't had credit cards since the summer of 2004. ;) They're crooks. >:(

It makes it tough when there are emergencies but the emergencies occur a LOT less without them. ;) :o ??? ;D
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

greenmachine

I have an Amex Platinum, it had a $25K credit line. I just received an email in December they were dropping it to $11K.
Never been late & my beacon score is 760, at least that is what it was when I bought my truck last year.
Sign of the times

Anoriginal

760. Wow. Less than 10,000 people in America have a beacon score that high. Congrats.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

crom A zone

i have/had 730 last year when i bought my truck  not to mentioni have to credit cards and 2 atv loans prior to truck and i am 22 years old.     so i guess i am not that  dumb   lol
2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift

TRX450R_Racer

My credit score was in the low 800s when I bought my truck in 2004.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

AintSkeered

#21
My cholesterol is higher than your credit scores!
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

AmericanRobster

Home Depot is also getting crappy with thier credit card. My Dad and I are really good customers there and we are now getting treated like crap. We just cut up our cards and canceled them! I am never shopping at Home Depot again!!!! I am a Lowes man now. The 3 stores that I shop here around St. Pete and Clearwater really do suck!!
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

backinsaddle

happening to everyone.  i work with people that are millionaires with stellar credit, and their amex limits are getting cut as well

AintSkeered

The Home Depot card is a Citibank card. Your bailout tax dollars at work for ya!
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com