can you be 17 and co sigh on a title???

Started by GENERAL-Z, December 07, 2008, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GENERAL-Z

i had my grama get me a truck with my money long story but im not on the loan but im the one making payments i was wondering if i could get on the loan some how just in case anything would happen i can keep it?
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

TRX450R_Racer

I think the loan would have to be in your name and she would be the co-signer.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

GENERAL-Z

ok well can she get it refinanced and switch it around??
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

poolsean

I believe that if you're not 18 or older, that any contract or transaction would not be considered as legal and binding.  In this case, I wouldn't expect to go to the tag agency and have the title put in your name.  Hope you trust Grandma!

It's been a while since the old college days though.

TRX450R_Racer

I bought a new car in 1984 when I was 17. The loan was in my name and my father was the co-signer. It is possible to do.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on December 08, 2008, 11:14:16 AM
I bought a new car in 1984 when I was 17. The loan was in my name and my father was the co-signer. It is possible to do.

Dang, You're old...... ;D
In 85 when I was 17 I bought a vehicle with my grandfather as the co-signer.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on December 08, 2008, 12:04:54 PM
Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on December 08, 2008, 11:14:16 AM
I bought a new car in 1984 when I was 17. The loan was in my name and my father was the co-signer. It is possible to do.

Dang, You're old...... ;D
In 85 when I was 17 I bought a vehicle with my grandfather as the co-signer.

Yea 17 with 25 years experience!!
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

indianjoe

Dang, You're old...... ;D
In 85 when I was 17 I bought a vehicle with my grandfather as the co-signer.
[/quote]

And I was thinking how young he was!!!!!!!..... :( :(

poolsean

According to Florida Law. http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/fl/law/contbus.html

In order to be bound to a contract, the parties must be competent to enter into the legal arrangement. Underage persons, persons who are mentally ill, and intoxicated persons usually are not bound by the contracts they enter. However, a minor may have the option of enforcing a contract under some circumstances.

Perhaps co-signing a contract is ok, but as this states, if it's a contract with a minor, the minor has the right to get out of a contract, but can hold you bound to the contract...if he wants to.

But I guess, the original post was if you could co-sign on a title.... different from a single person (Minor) signing a contract.


ScooterB

When we purchased my daughters first car she was also listed on all documents so she could build her credit.

We co-signed for her with US guaranteeing payment if she defalted.
06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA

GENERAL-Z

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

cheropride

I would co-sign, just for the fact, it will help you to establish credit.  But as said, you are under 18, therefore, you can NOT be bound to any contract, whether it be verbal or written.  Therefore, you can only co-sign, and heck now-a-days, the may not even do that, just for the fact your under 18.  She will be the one FINANCIAL RESPONSIBLE until you are 18, although you are making the payments.

But there are ways that you can get your name on the title, and/or loan documents, then once your turn 18 everything can be switched to you....

Keep in mind one thing, cool grandma....  Some would not take that chance, so consider it a blessing.... ;)
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

LostCause

Also make all payments in the form of a check and put the loan number on the check.  Make it directly to the lending instatute.  Reason is when you go back to get another loan and they tell you that you have no credit you can show that you have made all payments on this loan and make sure they are on time.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com