ATV won't start.....Help Me

Started by 02YamahaBigBear400, September 03, 2008, 02:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02YamahaBigBear400

Hey guys maybe someone can give me an idea to whats wrong. I have a bigbear 400 4x4 and 3yrs ago i was pulling a friend out of a mudhole but my bike was idling as i was trying to relocate the rope for a better pull. Well the bike shut off. Since then i haven't been able to start it. 3 yrs later, I've taken it outta storage to work on it. Just the other day i checked for spark......got that, gas......its getting that, carb and tank are cleaned out and fresh gas has been put in. It still won't fire. Every now and then I'll get a backfire or it pops my carb off the boot going to the cylinder. I haven't done a compression check but I have stuck my finger over the spark plug hole and it blows my finger off. I'm clueless to what has happened. Can some help or have any idea to what is wrong. Thanks
2002 Yamaha BigBear 400 4x4
27x10x12 Vampires (Front)
27x12x12 Vampires (Rear)
Custom Snorkel
Extra Lights w/custom grill
FMF MegaMax 2 exhaust
----------------------------------
1996 Honda 300 4x4
27x10(front) and 27x12(rear) vampires
exhaust
HL clutch Kit
Snorkel
am/fm cd player

yz450f rider

try straight wiring the kill switch  ;)  was it idleing in water??
1999 dodge ram 13.5 lift with 39.5s

02YamahaBigBear400

it was out of the water on land. my friends was in mud. but the kill switch works cause if i kill it, it won't let me crank it. I'm thinking my timing or my valves. But i never had my valves knock or right now as i crank it I don't hear anything knocking around.
2002 Yamaha BigBear 400 4x4
27x10x12 Vampires (Front)
27x12x12 Vampires (Rear)
Custom Snorkel
Extra Lights w/custom grill
FMF MegaMax 2 exhaust
----------------------------------
1996 Honda 300 4x4
27x10(front) and 27x12(rear) vampires
exhaust
HL clutch Kit
Snorkel
am/fm cd player

bocephus300

id say it maght of jumped a tooth in timing or the chain tension is bad.  cause its blowing the carb off, meaning its sparkink while the intake is open or partially open.
2006 outlander 800
27 laws
2006 forman 500
26 laws

grizzlefoshizzle

check the parking brake out if its on it wont want to start cause of its weird
[><]

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450
stock
2005 Arctic Cat 250
3.0 Winch
25" mudslingers

MuddFreak77

Its a timing issue, as was already said if its blowing the carb off its sparking while the intake valves are open.  Check the timing chain.
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

MadMudder

I agree its either a timing issue or your carb might be loose. Id check both.
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

scrimmy


4fittyr

if its a yamaha my buddies raptor wouldn't start  did a valve adjustment   not much paper thin but the intake was closing before it could fire so opened up a lil more than need .0003  on mic cause their gonna close up again  hope this helps    fired rite up
if u can't be good be good at it