Question for people with Chevys

Started by Fox17, October 03, 2008, 01:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox17

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/861989567.html

Im thinking about lookin at this truck to replace my Toyota. Its so hard to find a good Toyota thats not a mud buggy or trashed that I may resort to a Chevy or a Ford. I love the way this truck looks and I love the fact that its a 5-speed.

Is that a good tranny? I know manual tranys are good in general but just wanna make sure.

Are these overall good trucks?

Im guessing its not gonna get great mileage but what should I expect from a 350 with a 5-speed  on 33"s? Im friends with a girl that had a 93 1500 with the 350 and an auto tranny and she got decent mileage for a huge truck and engine. I wanna say she got like 15 avg. Sound right?

Da_Mtg_Man

I've got a 93 K-5 Blazer with a 350, true duals, headers, magnaflow mufflers and K & N and I only get about 8-9 mpg
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

yunt2ride

That post was deleted. My 97 extended with no lift and 10X33s gets about 14mpg with 373 gears.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Chevy1500z71

i get about 9-10mpg with my 95, its on 35s and its got a blower. id say that truck would get right around 12mpg being that it has the old ecm with the 1 wire 02 sensor, they typically just get worse mpg. that truck has a nv4500, its a decent trans, not the best, but it wont let you down slamming through the gears with the stock 210hp 350tbi...

Fox17

Quote from: Chevy1500z71 on October 03, 2008, 02:41:22 PM
i get about 9-10mpg with my 95, its on 35s and its got a blower. id say that truck would get right around 12mpg being that it has the old ecm with the 1 wire 02 sensor, they typically just get worse mpg. that truck has a nv4500, its a decent trans, not the best, but it wont let you down slamming through the gears with the stock 210hp 350tbi...

ok, thats tolerable. im not gonna be slamming through the gears much either. and im not gonna build a engine for any truck i get. just want something that looks and sounds awesome if i get a v8. and something reliable.
Quote from: yunt2ride on October 03, 2008, 02:27:22 PM
That post was deleted. My 97 extended with no lift and 10X33s gets about 14mpg with 373 gears.

what post was deleted?


grizzlefoshizzle

thats a given its a chevy take the damn thing
[><]

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450
stock
2005 Arctic Cat 250
3.0 Winch
25" mudslingers

cheropride

Looks like the post for the Chevy...

There is nothing bad I can say about a Chevy!  The last one I had was a 91, and had some serious mileage on it, and it ran great.  (Until I sold it to my neighbors kid, and he totalled it about three weeks later >:D)...  We have an 03 now, actually gas mileage pretty good, I would say though it probably gets about 12-15 mpg, pending on my driving habits that week.... ???

I will say this too....  And honestly no offense to any Ford drivers, good Lord not another debate, just little ole woman's opinion...  My Husband work truck is a Ford F-250, I hate the way that truck handles, and rides.  Our Chevy is 2500HD, and that truck is tight, love the way it handles and rides... 
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Fox17

so the ad was deleted? it still works for me.  ???

cheropride

Quote from: Fox17 on October 03, 2008, 06:26:00 PM
so the ad was deleted? it still works for me.  ???

Perhaps it was meant to be.... ;) Just for you....
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Starbuc71

Big Chevy fan here, but had to resort to Toyota afew years back.  Chevy's seem to run fine until the 3 yr/36K warranty is up then things start to hit the fan.  I have owned 3 silverados rangeing from a 96 up to an 03.  All great trucks but as I heard on MSNBC the other night from the new marketing CEO for GM is that GM lacked quality through the 80's up through the begining 2000's.  I have had 2 Tundras now (a 2002 and my new 08)  What great trucks.  I hope Chevy gets it right with thier new line of vehicles.
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

Chevy1500z71

Quote from: Starbuc71 on October 03, 2008, 10:00:36 PM
Big Chevy fan here, but had to resort to Toyota afew years back.  Chevy's seem to run fine until the 3 yr/36K warranty is up then things start to hit the fan.  I have owned 3 silverados rangeing from a 96 up to an 03.  All great trucks but as I heard on MSNBC the other night from the new marketing CEO for GM is that GM lacked quality through the 80's up through the begining 2000's.  I have had 2 Tundras now (a 2002 and my new 08)  What great trucks.  I hope Chevy gets it right with thier new line of vehicles.

my Chevy has 200,000 miles on it, it takes my abuse daily and still runs fine, 88-98 chevys are some of the toughest trucks out there hands down.

Starbuc71

no doubt, my 96 Z71 was an awsome truck.  That was my best chevy
2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC

cheropride

Yea, for sure, every Chevy that I have owned (ah heck, i have only owned Chevys ;)), I have surely gotten my use out of them.  My husband's truck had over 200,000 miles, and that truck ran awesome.  All of my trucks ran great... 

Which reminds me of my 74 El Camino...  Remember Chevy back then...  Dang they would run, but "you could hear them rusting".  That was a rust bucket, thank God they finally took care of that...

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

eldiablo64

my son bought an 02 silverado 4x4 with 33's.he has constant brake problems the first one being one of the bolts that hold the back caliper on fell out.when he went to get the parts to fix it the guy at the auto parts store said"an 02 silverado guess we'll be seein alot of you in here"my son says why?and the guy told him they have constant brake problems on those trucks.since then he has asked at every auto parts store and quite a few brake shops and it always the same  terrible brake system. his truck looks better than mine but I'll keep my rusty but trusty dodge for now until I can afford a bad ass jeep wrangler.
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

Chevy1500z71

Quote from: eldiablo64 on October 05, 2008, 09:04:32 AM
my son bought an 02 silverado 4x4 with 33's.he has constant brake problems the first one being one of the bolts that hold the back caliper on fell out.when he went to get the parts to fix it the guy at the auto parts store said"an 02 silverado guess we'll be seein alot of you in here"my son says why?and the guy told him they have constant brake problems on those trucks.since then he has asked at every auto parts store and quite a few brake shops and it always the same  terrible brake system. his truck looks better than mine but I'll keep my rusty but trusty dodge for now until I can afford a bad ass jeep wrangler.

dont mean to be rude, but sounds like you guys dont know what your doing, theres a reason your having problems, theres a reason for anything going wrong, and you guys havnt found the correct way to fix it yet... i hate to hear people blaming lame problems on the truck when its something simple that they cant figure out...

EigerGuy

my chevy is great to me, she never leaves me stranded or anything its a 93 silverado with a big 5.7ltr not the greatest gas milage but when i need the truck it treats me right

and shes for sale if ur interested
02-05 Eiger Lift Kits Availabe PMME, i also think they will fit the 06 and 07

05 Eiger
06 Raptor 700R

MustRead
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31593.msg374254.html#msg374254"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31593.msg374254.html#msg374254[/url]

Fox17

Quote from: EigerGuy on October 05, 2008, 11:33:39 AM
my chevy is great to me, she never leaves me stranded or anything its a 93 silverado with a big 5.7ltr not the greatest gas milage but when i need the truck it treats me right

and shes for sale if ur interested

if its a 4x4 send me some pictures and info to bgraves17@gmail.com. i have to have a 4x4 though. id be stranded alot if i didnt, getting to hunting, fishing, and riding spots gets a lil bad sometimes.

EigerGuy

02-05 Eiger Lift Kits Availabe PMME, i also think they will fit the 06 and 07

05 Eiger
06 Raptor 700R

MustRead
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31593.msg374254.html#msg374254"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31593.msg374254.html#msg374254[/url]

IXIswamperIXI

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

well the only thing I don't like is the dana 44 front end other than that... sweeet!!!
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Chevy1500z71

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on October 06, 2008, 03:46:19 PM
This is the chevy for yea  ;)
http://southernairboat.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/4064/cat/502
well at least I would love to have it

holy crap id kill for that thing. iv always loved the classic body style chevys, the only truck id actually prefer in single cab long bed. everyone asks me why i dont want a newer truck, if i were to sell my truck, id get an older one! lol

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Chevy1500z71 on October 06, 2008, 08:11:30 PM
Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on October 06, 2008, 03:46:19 PM
This is the chevy for yea  ;)
http://southernairboat.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/4064/cat/502
well at least I would love to have it

holy crap id kill for that thing. iv always loved the classic body style chevys, the only truck id actually prefer in single cab long bed. everyone asks me why i dont want a newer truck, if i were to sell my truck, id get an older one! lol

yea if times were better i think i would have to go a long hard look
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Fox17

id like that one but i need something a tad cheaper. remember, im getting money for a 94 toyota pickup.

Fox17

#23
http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/864264881.html

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/865732013.html

i do like these 2 though.

btw, does the 2nd one have a body lift? it says suspension but idk, looks like a body lift.

yunt2ride

Quote from: Fox17 on October 03, 2008, 02:49:36 PM
Quote from: Chevy1500z71 on October 03, 2008, 02:41:22 PM
i get about 9-10mpg with my 95, its on 35s and its got a blower. id say that truck would get right around 12mpg being that it has the old ecm with the 1 wire 02 sensor, they typically just get worse mpg. that truck has a nv4500, its a decent trans, not the best, but it wont let you down slamming through the gears with the stock 210hp 350tbi...

ok, thats tolerable. im not gonna be slamming through the gears much either. and im not gonna build a engine for any truck i get. just want something that looks and sounds awesome if i get a v8. and something reliable.
Quote from: yunt2ride on October 03, 2008, 02:27:22 PM
That post was deleted. My 97 extended with no lift and 10X33s gets about 14mpg with 373 gears.


what post was deleted?



The link you posted in your first post. It says that the post was deleted by its author.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com