Any idea what did this to my lawn? FINALLY!!!

Started by CABLEGUY1, June 28, 2008, 09:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudnuri

Some guy was so serious about it he used a computer to calculate the odds and to tell him what to throw. He lost.  :P

I found this:
Normally, earthworms are beneficial to lawns and soils in general. When they become too numerous, they sometimes become pests because of the small mounds of castings that look unsightly in short grass types. An imported species, the oriental earthworm, is found in some eastern states. It is 6-8 inches long and about 1/5 inch in diameter. It is light green on the upper surface with a purplish-green line down the center of its back. It throws up abundant castings.

If I were a detective, I'd say case closed!
Cableguy-If you want, I will gladly come look(looks like you live in the Lantana area) and give a confirmation, but for the most part, they are good for that beautiful lawn you have!!
Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i

mudnuri

I must say, I like this approach. It would be fun to watch! Wouldn't have much of a lawn afterwards, but... no moles!!


Quote from: REBEL on June 28, 2008, 01:51:03 PM
You have moles.  You can rent my mole killer for $50/kill.


Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i

megapurt400

OKay, please goto the pile of dirt and carefully open the surface and stick a tape measure down the hole and measure the opening. and repost the hole size so we may all determine if it is in fact a mole or a molecricket. Moles leave a hole about 1 1/4" in diameter and mole crickets leave about 1/2" hole.


CABLEGUY1

#53
Okay I finally found one of these crawling out of the lawn onto the driveway.I dont know what it is but it has several spikes on its legs that look like they're made for digging. I cant find a picture of one online to see what it is.I wish the damage was just earthworms. Mudnuri,I live close to St Petersburg but thanks for the offer.I'm saving this bad boy to show the Chem Lawn technician.Thanks for all the suggestions.

kawasakimojaverider


klutchbuster400

I see them all the time on my porch. They are just like moths in the sense that they are attracted to light. I've never seen them dig though, niether do they mess with my yard like they did yours.

AintSkeered

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Anoriginal


megapurt400

Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 08, 2008, 10:36:42 PM
Okay I finally found one of these crawling out of the lawn onto the driveway.I dont know what it is but it has several spikes on its legs that look like they're made for digging. I cant find a picture of one online to see what it is.I wish the damage was just earthworms. Mudnuri,I live close to St Petersburg but thanks for the offer.I'm saving this bad boy to show the Chem Lawn technician.Thanks for all the suggestions.

megapurt400

Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 08, 2008, 10:36:42 PM
Okay I finally found one of these crawling out of the lawn onto the driveway.I dont know what it is but it has several spikes on its legs that look like they're made for digging. I cant find a picture of one online to see what it is.I wish the damage was just earthworms. Mudnuri,I live close to St Petersburg but thanks for the offer.I'm saving this bad boy to show the Chem Lawn technician.Thanks for all the suggestions.



http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH037

mudnuri

Sorry, the pictures you first showed are not caused by that beetle. Grubs don't do it like that either.
Dig the area up and you will see. You don't have to dig to China or do any turf damage.
Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com