black widow

Started by NYRAPTOR, June 17, 2008, 07:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYRAPTOR

had my first run in with a black widow yesterday. it seems to have been living under the rear bumper of my truck. almost put my hand on it when i put the tailgate down. anyone else have a run in with these spiders? i just hope she didn't multiply.

Ride1Rob

When I first had my home built they used to stay on my back porch are as well as areas around the house. Shortly afterwards I began using granules around the house and spraying around the back porch and in the house. That helped out quite a bit. I haven't seen one in awhile now.
If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

TRX450R_Racer

No black widows here. When I moved in my house in 1991, when it was all woods, we had a lot of scorpions.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

NYRAPTOR

thanks guys. i think it was just random and i didn't see any eggs under the bumper. i sprayed some poisen under there and around the garage.

quadracer1992

I used to have some around the patio in the back of my house. I took a can of spray paint and a lighter to a nest of them.
~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~

FoxHondaRider

i hate those damn things I always come across them.  Just last week, man i wish i had a camera or phone with me because this was the biggest black widow I have ever seen in my life!  I have see so many in the past coupl of years but this one was like a big mamajama!  It must have come out of this cabnet outside when they just sprayed the house for all those insects and stuff.  It was curled up in a ball and I thought it was dead because it was in a ball in the same spot the last 2 times I was there.  Well I go to show my younger cousins and aunt the spider and I point to it about an inch or so from its body and the thing springs to life and starts running!  It didnt get too far before a big ole shoe hit it lol.  Theres always brown recluse at my neighbors house when I go to clean their pool they hide everywhere lol.  Snakes i've only had a couple run in on rattlesnakes, and an incedent with a cotton mouth where once again i thought something was dead so i deacided to poke it with a stick and what do you know the thing lunges at me with its fangs out and mouth wide open, it missed me by about a foot.  Lesson from those, if you think its dead dont go near it because its probally still alive lol
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

1FasterBlaster

    I was remodeling a house in Clearwater 4 years ago and found a male so big, a professor at USF wanted it for study. It was the size of a silver dollar. I guess the males aren't suppose to get that big.
   It was hiding in a corner of the roof, but everytime I came near it, it would run into a hole. I put a 2 liter next to the hole and it crawled right in.

quadracer1992

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on June 17, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
    I was remodeling a house in Clearwater 4 years ago and found a male so big, a professor at USF wanted it for study. It was the size of a silver dollar. I guess the males aren't suppose to get that big.
   It was hiding in a corner of the roof, but everytime I came near it, it would run into a hole. I put a 2 liter next to the hole and it crawled right in.
Mabe if it bites your it gives you spider powers. ;)
~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~

FishaHallic

When I had my house in Clearwater I would find them and the egg sacks under the middle railing on my birdcage around the pool.  I started killing them with bug spray and would watch those areas for a while to keep them from coming back.  You gotta watch those cheap white vinyl chairs also because I found them under the chairs too.  If you look on the bottom of those chairs they have all these little nooks and crannies that make perfect nesting areas  :Dead.gif

mrbones

Are you sure that was a Black Widow? Let it bite you so you will know for sure.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Hondabeefast

We have problems with them hiding up under the edges of our horses water buckets and such, My dad has been using some kind of chemical that is safe for the animals and its workin pretty good to keep them away so far.
02' Honda CR125
05' Honda 450R

JackL

Quote from: ScratchupBangupBoy on June 17, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
    I was remodeling a house in Clearwater 4 years ago and found a male so big, a professor at USF wanted it for study. It was the size of a silver dollar. I guess the males aren't suppose to get that big.
   It was hiding in a corner of the roof, but everytime I came near it, it would run into a hole. I put a 2 liter next to the hole and it crawled right in.


I can't believe this story didn't end with you being bitten. ;)
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Slick89

i was driving on my way home on the interstate when i felt something hit my should...... i grabbed it threw it on the floor flip on the interior lights and realized it was a brown spider.... while driving 65 mph i managed to to reach behind me grab my flashlight and beat the crap out of it. all while driving.... freaky tho..... got home and looked all around and couldn't find anything else.. hopefully that was the only one living in my truck
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593[/url]

NYRAPTOR

i would have never found this one if it wasn't for the rain water in my pick up bed. i turned the truck around to let the rain water out and thats when she must have crawled up to higher ground (tailgate). when i put the gate down and started loading tools i put my hand down on the gate and it was right in front of my hand. i should have taken a pic but i freaked and killed it. a few more inches and i would have put my hand right over it. this is exactly what it looked like before i smashed it.

JackL

Quote from: NYRAPTOR on June 18, 2008, 07:14:30 AM
i would have never found this one if it wasn't for the rain water in my pick up bed. i turned the truck around to let the rain water out and thats when she must have crawled up to higher ground (tailgate). when i put the gate down and started loading tools i put my hand down on the gate and it was right in front of my hand. i should have taken a pic but i freaked and killed it. a few more inches and i would have put my hand right over it. this is exactly what it looked like before i smashed it.

Bones was right, you should have let it bite you. The spiderpowers would have been worth it. ;)

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

FoxHondaRider

Quote from: JackL on June 18, 2008, 07:53:54 AM
Quote from: NYRAPTOR on June 18, 2008, 07:14:30 AM
i would have never found this one if it wasn't for the rain water in my pick up bed. i turned the truck around to let the rain water out and thats when she must have crawled up to higher ground (tailgate). when i put the gate down and started loading tools i put my hand down on the gate and it was right in front of my hand. i should have taken a pic but i freaked and killed it. a few more inches and i would have put my hand right over it. this is exactly what it looked like before i smashed it.

Bones was right, you should have let it bite you. The spiderpowers would have been worth it. ;)



lol the pain and hospital bill wouldnt be though
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

NYRAPTOR

maybe it did bite me because this morning i woke up and was on the ceiling. then i ate a moth.

Bleedsblue

Maybe it's just bad luck but over the past 6 months I've purchased two vehicles from the west coast (Fort Myers, Naples, Sebring area) and both had black widows somewhere in them. The first vehicle must have been outdoors in a bad area because within a week I found 4 of them with webs going from the car to the garage floor. I bug bombed the garage a few times and then after I bought the other car sure enough I ran into another one in the trunk of this car.

Bill
2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs

NYRAPTOR

i repair alot of window screens. i usually put them in the back of my truck and they are always loaded with spiders and bugs. thats one possibility. never thought i would see one in person. maybe she thought i was cute. :-* nah!

Slick89

ha dont flatter yourself
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593[/url]

NYRAPTOR


Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com