400ex - Curtis Sparks advanced timing key

Started by FoxHondaRider, June 09, 2008, 03:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxHondaRider

Its a woodruff key that advances your iginition timing by 6 degrees making better throttle response and a lot of torque.  Has anyone here tried this or know a friend that has done this mod?  I am just wondering what happens to your topend and how the quad performs after installing it.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

exrider

I have one installed on my current bike and on one of my old bikes. Much better throttle response and bottom end torque. I don't think it does much on the top end, if anything at all. You will get higher oil temps if you are slow trail riding or riding technical hills. I run Tinner air scoops which helps a bit. Some people say you should not run one with higher comp. but my last bike had 426 bore with a 11 to 1 comp. and I had no problems.
It is a easy install. You will need a left side gasket,starter cover gasket and the key and bolt that comes with the kit.


Make sure you turn the flywheel all the way to the left before you tighten the bolt.
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

FoxHondaRider

I called Curtis Sparks and they said high compression is 12.5:1.  So under that they said the key is fine.  Right now my 3rd gear doesnt pull real hard from the bottom end of it.  Its better with the mods I have but I would like more to it.  How would you rate the gain compared to a slip on exhaust and jetted properly or a better flowing air filter with the air box lid removed and jetted properly?
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

exrider

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on June 10, 2008, 02:51:51 AM
I called Curtis Sparks and they said high compression is 12.5:1.  So under that they said the key is fine.  Right now my 3rd gear doesnt pull real hard from the bottom end of it.  Its better with the mods I have but I would like more to it.  How would you rate the gain compared to a slip on exhaust and jetted properly or a better flowing air filter with the air box lid removed and jetted properly?
Hard to say? I think you would get back the bottom end you lost with the filter and pipe if not more.
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

FoxHondaRider

my pipe added low end and a bunch or torque compared to stock.  Just wondering how it compares to other mods.  Like does this do a lot of is it minimal?
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

exrider

#5
All bike's are diff but, most bike and trucks for that matter lose a little on the bottom when you free up the exhaust. On a torquey motor like the 4oo you don't notice it until u get into 3rd and 4th gear. I'm glad you got the gains you did with your pipe. I have never had the same.
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

FoxHondaRider

so will I notice the key a lot in 3rd or 4th gear?
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

exrider

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on June 13, 2008, 04:38:17 AM
so will I notice the key a lot in 3rd or 4th gear?

No, thats not what I meant. I was saying you notice the loss of torque from your pipe more at the bottom of 3rd and 4th gear.

The timing key is a easy, cheap power gain that you will notice alot more than removing your choke.

It take's less than a half hour.  Just do it.
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

FoxHondaRider

Quote from: exrider on June 15, 2008, 02:48:36 PM
Quote from: FoxHondaRider on June 13, 2008, 04:38:17 AM
so will I notice the key a lot in 3rd or 4th gear?

No, thats not what I meant. I was saying you notice the loss of torque from your pipe more at the bottom of 3rd and 4th gear.

The timing key is a easy, cheap power gain that you will notice alot more than removing your choke.

It take's less than a half hour.  Just do it.

I bought it 2 days ago it should be here anytime this week.  Now I have to buy gaskets or I could try the old method of using the cardboard stuff from packs of beer and cutting it to fit
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Hondabeefast

I would just go with new gaskets so you dont have to worry about it
02' Honda CR125
05' Honda 450R