Win XP SP3

Started by IXIswamperIXI, May 14, 2008, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXIswamperIXI

Has anyone had any problems after this update?  I updated this morning and it would not restart after the install, I had to reformat and I lost everything.  Now when I go to windows update the only update it shows is SP3 but I will be damned if I am going to loose everything again.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

MuddFreak77

Yes there is a known issue with SP3.  It has to do with intel chipset configurations being loaded onto a non-intel based computer (AMD).

The system will just reboot, or not boot up at all.

It also strips out the Authentication tab for the 802.1x (DOT1X security) on the NIC card.  Those of us who run Computer based certificate security on our networks this is a MAJOR issue.  The Computer cert can no longer be bound to the user it has to be bound to the NIC card and this defeats the security .  To work around this we had to go to a user based certificate for security.
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

TRX470r

I just updated my system with SP3 without a problem.

HP xw9300 Workstation
AMD Opteron Processor 252
2.59 GHz, 3.50 GB of RAM
05' Honda TRX450r  FTR #8  +30C

JackL

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on May 14, 2008, 04:33:38 PM
Has anyone had any problems after this update?  I updated this morning and it would not restart after the install, I had to reformat and I lost everything.  Now when I go to windows update the only update it shows is SP3 but I will be damned if I am going to loose everything again.

Wow, you didn't have to lose everything. I had to fix this issue twice already for friends.
Here is the lowdown. http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9085358&intsrc=hm_list

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372


The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

IXIswamperIXI

Thanks for the info. I know I probley didn't have to loose anything but I kinda got caught off guard.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

JackL

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on May 15, 2008, 07:59:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I know I probley didn't have to loose anything but I kinda got caught off guard.


I know how it is. Stupid azz Windows with all its issues makes it easy to want to grab an XP disk and just start over. On the bright side, I bet your PC is flying now.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

IXIswamperIXI

yea it is going pretty fast after I uninstalled all the stupid crap you never use
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Ida_Mann

updated three PCs at home and this tablet without any issues.

of course I don't have the NIC security,,,just little ole me at home.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com