Interesting River Ranch Interview, Is it True?

Started by Bigscrb15, April 20, 2005, 02:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigscrb15

This is an interesting interview I heard and this is the transcript. I am wondering how many of these events the author wrote about are true. I grew up here in Polk County so I can believe this is true, lol.

Click on "REDNECK RIVIERA" to read it or the MP3 to hear it.
http://www.loe.org/ETS/organizations.php3?action=printContentItem&orgid=33&typeID=18&itemID=219&User_Session=78a59bba0735e302b5eea082a30c3d0f#feature1
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Thrumud

[url="http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png"]http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png[/url]

Bigscrb15

Yes, and thats when his tent was shot-up and a dead armadillo thrown in the tent while he was gone. I think this guy would have made a good script writer for movies.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

raca65

The Guy Wrote a Book about it years ago its old news

Bigscrb15

I know he wrote a book, thats what the interview is about. I am just wondering if the events he is talking about are true. Im not claiming its breaking news.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

J.D.

Dont he kind of sound like he wanted a little trouble ? Dont set up camp in the middle of a hunting area .
Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...

Eworm

#6
QuoteDont he kind of sound like he wanted a little trouble ? Dont set up camp in the middle of a hunting area .

Yeah but it was his land JD. I probably would have done the same. There is no excuse for shooting up someones tent even if they knew he was not there, which was probably the case. Pretty good story nonetheless.

Anoriginal

I remember when this all happened. His story is absolutely true. Everything he claims in his book actually happened just as he describes it.

J.D.

If he put his tent in the middle of a local mud hole would you splash him as you continued to use it ?
Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...

TRX350_On_The_Rack

Interesting interview though at times the guy seems like a nutcase. Perfect personality for a writer.

Isn't the reason they didn't develope in River Ranch because of it being in a flood zone?
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

Eworm

QuoteIf he put his tent in the middle of a local mud hole would you splash him as you continued to use it ?

Not if it's his property

Anoriginal

What what I know, the reason it was never developed was because the "developers" basically chose not to. They paid something like $150.00 per acre for the land and sold it around $1000.00 per acre. Once they determined there was more $$ to be made in selling the land off without developing it, they abandoned any additional improvement and merely sold parcels.

As far as the property lying in a floodplain, I don't know. I'n not real sure it would have been designated in such a manner back when it was being "developed". Who knows. Either way, interesting stuff. He's not the only guy who tried to access and develop his property only to face similar opposition.