Valve adjustment on a '02 Rubicon

Started by Ida_Mann, April 09, 2008, 01:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ida_Mann

so at the end of the last Motoplex feature weekend, I noticed the valves sounded a little off,,,,,,after cleaning the quad and riding around the neighborhood to get coffee down the street, I notice they sound terrible.

So I call my trusty shop and find out that they will not be able to get the job done in time for the next ride, so I was thinking of attempting this myself.

my question is, how difficult is this to do?  I have found both valve covers so at least I know where they are and they are fairly easy to get to, I also have a copy of the Honda service manual for my quad,,,,,for those who know me, can you give me a scale, say 1 to 10, 1 being lacing my shoes and 10 being "hello, ATP,,,,do you make housecalls?"

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

lugnuts

2 on that scale very easy to do do you have a manual on it

steve

2004 raptor 660r 
2006 lt80 daughter's
2006 kfx80 son's
2006 ltz 400
My son Tyler #191 on his 2006 drr 70
2010 sponsor's Modded Motorsports,East cost performance,sky power sports,lost creek cycles,vp gas,V&M racing,NBS performance,falicon,the nales family tom lisa and tc
www.moddedmotorsports.com

Ida_Mann

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Ida_Mann

Quote from: lugnuts on April 09, 2008, 02:44:25 AM
2 on that scale very easy to do do you have a manual on it

steve




yup.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

TRX450R_Racer

It's very easy to do with the set up on that engine. It's like the 400EX. Just loosen the jamb nut and set the lash to where it needs to be and tighten the nut back down. You just have to make sure it is at top dead center.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Fox17

before you do it, just read the process a few times in the manual and go for it. its not too hard. pretty easy on a XR actually.

Ida_Mann

OK, got it done,,,,the hardest part was getting the dang thing to TDC,,,,pull start doesn't exactly allow for that easily,,,,found out that was not the issue......

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."