How to block a web page completely?

Started by IXIswamperIXI, April 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXIswamperIXI

I have an employee that is using my computers to look at porn at my shop.... I am trying to figure out how to block certin web pages and what I have done so far hasn't worked.  I know he should be fired but that right now is not an option.  I am running XP on that computer.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks in advance

IXIswamperIXI

(off to dinner be back in a few)
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on April 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
I have an employee that is using my computers to look at porn at my shop.... I am trying to figure out how to block certin web pages and what I have done so far hasn't worked.  I know he should be fired but that right now is not an option.  I am running XP on that computer.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks in advance

IXIswamperIXI

(off to dinner be back in a few)

Sounds like things are a little sticky around there huh?
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

JackL

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on April 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
I have an employee that is using my computers to look at porn at my shop.... I am trying to figure out how to block certin web pages and what I have done so far hasn't worked.  I know he should be fired but that right now is not an option.  I am running XP on that computer.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks in advance

IXIswamperIXI

(off to dinner be back in a few)


You should be able to block sites at the router.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on April 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
I have an employee that is using my computers to look at porn at my shop.... I am trying to figure out how to block certin web pages and what I have done so far hasn't worked.  I know he should be fired but that right now is not an option.  I am running XP on that computer.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks in advance

IXIswamperIXI

(off to dinner be back in a few)

   remove his/her fingers @ the third knuckle..should stop the porn surfing ;)

sflarider

You wont have an effective solution for free, but the most used filtering program is WebSense.
http://www.websense.com/global/en/

Most of the school districts as well as government agencies use this to keep everyone on the right page. Pun intended. Good luck

snowmanzz13

you can go about it this way, but he might be able to go in and unblock it or just find another site to browse





banshee :( for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!



[url="http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann"]http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann[/url]

sflarider

lol, good luck trying to find all the porn sites across the web to add to that. Its a good plan in theory, but youd be spending all your time adding sites to restrcit access to. The best thing to use would be a program that filters cvertain content altogether.

klutchbuster400

You could try blackmail. Leave a hidden camera in the office where the computer is, and let the magic happen. After that, you'll be able to get him to work for free ;)

sflarider

rofl, thats the best plan yet! Id go with his idea, plus it makes for more fun for you.

shogun323

You will definately need a 3rd party software such as websense or Netnanny.

Had a guy I got an IT job for, mentored him for the position and then he took over. A few months later I was called down for a favor work on the network as a few critical apps weren't functioning. After a bit of investigation I found that the guy had been downloading porn at his desk, burning it to disk, and locking himself in the server closet to watch it all on the servers as well as browse porn on the web.

He got the fax server saturated with viruses and malware as well as caused the firewall to autoblock ports. It was a mess.

Needless to say his a$$ was canned!!!
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

IXIswamperIXI

Thanks for the replies!!!

Quote from: snowmanzz13 on April 07, 2008, 06:02:19 PM
you can go about it this way, but he might be able to go in and unblock it or just find another site to browse







I tried that EXACT thing and it didn't work, its like I didn't do anything.

Quote from: JackL on April 07, 2008, 05:51:38 PM
Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on April 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
I have an employee that is using my computers to look at porn at my shop.... I am trying to figure out how to block certin web pages and what I have done so far hasn't worked.  I know he should be fired but that right now is not an option.  I am running XP on that computer.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks in advance

IXIswamperIXI

(off to dinner be back in a few)


You should be able to block sites at the router.

I will try this too :-)

Quote from: sflarider on April 07, 2008, 06:01:12 PM
You wont have an effective solution for free, but the most used filtering program is WebSense.
http://www.websense.com/global/en/

Most of the school districts as well as government agencies use this to keep everyone on the right page. Pun intended. Good luck

And I will defiantly look into the 3rd party sites

Thanks again all!! :-)
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

man I can't get into my stupid router I have tried 192.168.1.1 , 192.168.0.1 , 192.168.1.2 , 192.168.1.34 (which is what my ipconfig said it was) I didn't set this router up so I am not sure if I am locked out.  This stuff starts to go over my head.  Any ideas?
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

shogun323

from a command prompt, run ipconfig. The address for your gateway will be your router.
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: shogun323 on April 08, 2008, 08:59:03 AM
from a command prompt, run ipconfig. The address for your gateway will be your router.


I did that... cmd then ipconfig and it was 192.168.1.1 but when I put it in the explorer it doesn't load it
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

shogun323

"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

shogun323

Quote from: big-daddy on April 08, 2008, 12:53:29 PM
pull the cable out of the wall  ;)

And after you pull the cable out, create a new hole by using your pistol and run the cable back through.  ;)
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

IXIswamperIXI

LOL you have no idea... I will keep trying different things
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

sflarider

If you could be more specific with the model of the router, it would be easier to help.
Make and model on the router, I can get you into the setup page.

IXIswamperIXI

D Link  dss-8+ I think thats the model # I am use to the linkus
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Islandbreeze07

Remove the computer? Move the computer to a secured room and lock it with the only key on you? Monitor the guy's movements so you can get him off the computer?

Threaten with calling the cops? (Just trying to give you ideas)
[url="http://mybenefitsplus.com/KGraber"]http://mybenefitsplus.com/KGraber[/url]
[url="http://iboplus.com/KGraber"]http://iboplus.com/KGraber[/url]

Life is like a farm, you gotta get up early to do the chores

JackL

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on April 08, 2008, 08:42:24 AM
man I can't get into my stupid router I have tried 192.168.1.1 , 192.168.0.1 , 192.168.1.2 , 192.168.1.34 (which is what my ipconfig said it was) I didn't set this router up so I am not sure if I am locked out.  This stuff starts to go over my head.  Any ideas?



You can always stick a paperclip in the reset hole if .255 doesn't work and you know how to set it up again.


The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

bigwake

maybe have a short meeting and just lay it out simple like.."hey..stop using this computer for porn..go home for that" and then continue working

Chevy1500z71

seriously, if you cant fire him than just sit down with him and tell him hes an idiot and he needs to stop, i really doubt he wants to loose his job so dont make him feel like you cant fire his ass even if you really cant...

Slick89

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on April 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
I have an employee that is using my computers to look at porn at my shop.... I am trying to figure out how to block certin web pages and what I have done so far hasn't worked.  I know he should be fired but that right now is not an option.  I am running XP on that computer.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks in advance

IXIswamperIXI

(off to dinner be back in a few)

You could also set up a password on your computer and then everytime you leave your computer jus log out so he cant access your computer at all. that would piss him off!!!
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com