400 ex problem

Started by lil_Mrs._Honda1, April 18, 2005, 03:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil_Mrs._Honda1

flyin down a trail saturday and all of a sudden start loosing power Im on the gas get getting NOTHING, then it dies but starts right back up but every time I start letting out clutch it sputters and starts to go and then dies! so I get off start kickin it and cussing it then a few minutes it runs well enough to get it back to the trailer but just not running like it should.
what do ya think?
[url="//imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg"]imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg[/url]
APK400exRacer: [url="http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg"]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg[/url]

Old_School

Sounds like there is an object in the bowl of the carb. I had a poppy seed in the bottom of my bowl and once I went full throttle it would bog and die. Started right back up and ran fine til I nailed it. Try to clean the carb out first and see if that works.  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

Moose

#2
First be sure the choke is OFF, it's happened to me. :-/
I would then open the drain screw on the bowl and drain some gas out, then try it.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

lil_Mrs._Honda1

choke was off we had been riding for a couple of hours already !
[url="//imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg"]imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg[/url]
APK400exRacer: [url="http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg"]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa313a2cd42a8a7f973b5730058b8c4a6/f6aed2f5.jpg[/url]

ONEslowEXer

were you riding in water? did you pull your plug? see if you have spark
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

Moose

#5
Then I would try to drain some gas from the bowl. It also sounds like a clogged filter, or maybe the float is sticking. Definately sounds like a fuel problem.

If the carb is OK, then the easiest thing is to change the spark plug, be sure to check the gap, they don't come set for you.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

YamahaWarrior350

Clean your carb you got some sh** in their that you got to clean out before you damage your engine.

YamahaWarrior350

Check your sparkplug too