Oil question concerning my YFZ.

Started by JayDawg, March 02, 2008, 12:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDawg

Hey all,

A few months ago I made a post that when I went to change my oil and I drained it, the oil tank and where the filter is was bone dry but the YFZ had been sitting for quit some time and no oil had leaked out of it? I guess it was hiding in the motor somewhere because I just added the new oil into the oil tank and the other area next to it that also takes oil. After I started the YFZ up the old oil mysteriously reappeared?

Today I went out riding for the first time in a long time but I forgot about the oil having double the amount in the engine and oil tank. I noticed after my first ride that there was a lot of oil that had blown back from the motor all over my rear swing arm and that area. I had a 2 1 liter bottles of Mountain Dew that I emptied oil into from the oil tank but it is still over flowing. My question though is where would the oil have been leaking from to blow back? I can't find any place that is leaking on my YFZ. Is there an oil overflow tube or something? Also by having all of the extra oil in the engine, could I have hurt the motor? And, aside from doing another oil change, is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,
Jay

05' YFZ 450
White and Red
Pulse Charger, ESR intake, X Factor pro peg nerf bars, IMS heel guards, Trailtech fat bars, Alba bumper, Noss machine inspection plugs, assorted chrome pieces with more stuff to be added soon in addition to a few other performance parts...

KnK Motorsports

Is the oil coming out of the hose that is coming from the starter reduction to the airbox?
K&K Motorsports
specializing in off-road performance
Suspension & body lifts,leveling kits,
tires & wheels, ATV performance,& powdercoating
Authorized Dealer for Lonestar, Blingstar,AC,Nacs,ODI Grips,Ron Woods,Falicon,ESR,Herrmann,Duncan


06 YFZ450 #12
08 KFX450 #21

TM Motorsports

it will not hurt anything if you have double the oil. all it will do is pump the extra oil out of the crank case berather. witch goes all over the swing arm. when you change the oil:

1st- empty the oil tank
2nd- empty the cases, witch is under th shifter
3rd- change the oil filter
4th- start the quad with the drain bolts out for a second or 2 then shut it right off.
5th- drain bolts back in then put 1.2 qt of oil in the tank
6th- put .8 in the engine, by the the stator.
Tony Mommone
TM Motorsports
www.myspace.com/tonymommone

svtbolt04

Im pretty sure if you run too much oil, you can blow seals and gaskets...
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Chevy1500z71

to much oil shouldnt blow seals, there should always be an overflow line than any extra will poor out of...

lugnuts

to much oil can cause alot of problems in a engine fist thing that comes to mind is you can not compress a solid so you could bend your rod or crack a piston and cylinder or blow out seals buy causing excessive crankcase presure not to mention oil blowing out of the breather hose
2004 raptor 660r 
2006 lt80 daughter's
2006 kfx80 son's
2006 ltz 400
My son Tyler #191 on his 2006 drr 70
2010 sponsor's Modded Motorsports,East cost performance,sky power sports,lost creek cycles,vp gas,V&M racing,NBS performance,falicon,the nales family tom lisa and tc
www.moddedmotorsports.com