First time racer questions

Started by KD 428, January 30, 2008, 08:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD 428

Hey guys, I will be turning 16 in the end of April and want to try a race in the FTR quad/hare scrambles as soon as possible. I already have a kill switch, and number plates with my number on them and know Im going to start in the C class. I need to know exactly what else I need to know or do to be able to race. I saw that May 3rd there is a quad scramble named "SEFTR" or something like that in Okeechobee, Would it be a good race to start out in? Thanks for the help
HONDA CRF450R

predatorracer8

camel back, make sure you got all the potection and gear its not required but highly recommended make sure your pipe is not louder than 96dbs and you have to have a spark arrestor.

KD 428

Quote from: predatorracer8 on January 30, 2008, 09:40:58 AM
camel back, make sure you got all the potection and gear its not required but highly recommended make sure your pipe is not louder than 96dbs and you have to have a spark arrestor.
Ok I have a camelback, and all the riding/protective gear already. My pipe is stock so thats not a problem. Should I just print the registering form from the ftr website and mail it out to them and show up at the race?
HONDA CRF450R

svtbolt04

KD, I would just fill out the paperwork when you get to the race. There is no telling how long your FTR number will take to get to your house.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

backinsaddle

I think the May race is the last of the season, and it's probably going to be hot.  I'd try the race at the end of March

KD 428

Quote from: svtbolt04 on January 30, 2008, 11:53:58 AM
KD, I would just fill out the paperwork when you get to the race. There is no telling how long your FTR number will take to get to your house.

Ok I guess I will just do the paperwork there.

And backinsaddle, Id like to race in march but I wont be 16 until the end of April...
HONDA CRF450R

zman

I just did my first one at the Motoplex.  The best advice I can give is get in shape.  I was sore for 3 days afterward.  But it sure was worth it

ScooterB

Quote from: backinsaddle on January 30, 2008, 12:11:16 PM
I think the May race is the last of the season, and it's probably going to be hot.  I'd try the race at the end of March


The only class you could run would be Quad Junior 91-300cc (age 13-15)

but I see you have a 450cc

So you need to be 16 then you can run  Quad Beginner Open (age 16+)

06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA

KD 428

Yea I know I need to be 16, Thats why I stated in my first post that Im not going to race until Im 16. Was just wondering about things I should know before I can race.
HONDA CRF450R

mudnuri

That race in May is my club event, SouthEastFloridaTrailRiders.
You should print out the application form now and send it in now. Don't wait. You will receive your number before this event and can be ready. You'll have time this way to get your numbers customized if you want.
When you are on the line, that THUMP-THUMP, is your heart in your throat. Get used to it!! :)
Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i

KD 428

Alright guess I will send the application in. But I already have customized numbers/plates, can I use my regular number(428) if no one already has it?
HONDA CRF450R

predatorracer8

Quote from: KD 450 on January 31, 2008, 10:07:36 PM
Alright guess I will send the application in. But I already have customized numbers/plates, can I use my regular number(428) if no one already has it?

ya if nobody has it i dont think anyone has it.

KD 428

sweeet ;D haha

Also where do I get a transponder?
HONDA CRF450R

predatorracer8

Quote from: KD 450 on January 31, 2008, 10:34:43 PM
sweeet ;D haha

Also where do I get a transponder?

when you sign up for the race tell them you need a transponder its 20 bucks then they will send you ove to a trailer and the ladies in there will hook you up with one bring zip ties and duck tape to attach it too your chesty

KD 428

HONDA CRF450R


duroc825

You need to make sure your plates are the right color, etc. Check the flyer and it will tell ya which plate to use for your class. You should have plenty of time to sign up and you can even call to get your umber verified. All you need is to be a member and your name and membership # should be in the computer raceday. Be sure to tell them at race day signup that you need a transponder. Good luck and welcome to the best addiction there is!

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com