Motorcycle licenses

Started by Young Gun, January 29, 2008, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young Gun

I decided I am going to get my license soon, probably sometime in February.  Sick of not being able to drive by myself (even though I do it already  ;)), so I am going to use saved money to pay for insurance.  Then just put something on easy payments.

I was looking into a motorcycle, and I had researched about the license and whatnot.  I know I would have to take a Safety course and show it to the DMV.  But my question is, on the website it says that my license will change to a 'Motorcycle Only' license.  I am confused on that part -- since I still wan't the ability to drive a car.

http://casey.hsmv.state.fl.us/intranet/ddl/motorcycles/cycles.cfm?getsubid=3

Someone explain? ???
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

snowmanzz13

i'm assuming from the way that section is titled "Motorcycle Only License " that the motorcycle license is a seperate card that you could not be able to be used for driving a regular car

my dad still has his regular license an has a motorcycle license (i've never seen the card) and still drives a regular card
banshee :( for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!



[url="http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann"]http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann[/url]

Young Gun

#2
That's all I found.  Maybe there is another section on motorcycle licenses? ???

EDIT: lmao, nevermind.  You were right, I was looking at a "Motorcycle ONLY" license.  I found the other one.
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Hawgin4x4

i got mine, and on my drivers license is says "motorcycle also"..
I dont disrespect anyone, If anyone disrespects me, You will be 6 ft below me.

Fox17

im in need of getting mine too. had the bike since july and no license yet. shame on me. i need i before bike week cause im gonna ride to daytona every day that week!

what kind of bike did you get?

Young Gun

I didn't get one, but since I am getting my license soon I think I am going to get one and put it on payments.  Probably a 1300cc turbo hayabusa!

More like a 600cc gixxer ;D
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

TRX450R_Racer

If you get a loan where insurance is required, being a teenager on that type of bike, you will probably pay around $2000-$3000 a year for insurance.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Mudneck

Here we go again the driving, if I, wish I ,should I ,how can I ,why dont I ,saga with the young driver continues...... ???






Will he ever own a vehicle,will he pass his license test,will he will he???




stay tuned.....................Im sure we will know.



Please post a pic of your license & the registration in your name if in fact you ever do get it done :-[
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Young Gun

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on January 30, 2008, 10:01:31 AM
If you get a loan where insurance is required, being a teenager on that type of bike, you will probably pay around $2000-$3000 a year for insurance.

I have already been quoted over $2,000 for just a car lol.  That's the reason why I am just going to get a bike, insurance won't really be a big difference.  May increase slightly but thats it.  I switched out of my Chem class at school and into Drivers ED, just so I could get the 10% insurance discount once I complete it. lol.

Also, I would only have to make payments for a year or even less... I have enough saved up to put down a decent amount on a bike.  So the loan would only be for around -- my guess is $3,000 max.
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Young Gun

Quote from: bushwacker on January 30, 2008, 10:09:26 AM
Here we go again the driving, if I, wish I ,should I ,how can I ,why dont I ,saga with the young driver continues...... ???

Will he ever own a vehicle,will he pass his license test,will he will he???

stay tuned.....................Im sure we will know.

Please post a pic of your license & the registration in your name if in fact you ever do get it done :-[

ROFL, I have already owned two vehicles.  One was a bike, the other a truck.  Since gas sucks, and so does insurance it's hard for someone like myself to afford it.  No matter, seems like the US is about to go into another depression... pretty soon you will be making topics like this ;)
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

mrbones

You probably heard this already, but I'll say it any way.

I always think a new rider should get a 250cc bike and ride that for a while before getting a gixer or similar sport bike. It's the best way to learn how to ride. A Ninja 250 would be perfect. Master that and you'll be keeping up with the bigger bikes in the corners. You can get a good used one for about $1500. If you buy it outright, you won't even need insurance, but liability is a good idea. Its easy to take the test on a bike like that. That's why they use them (250cc class bikes) in the training courses. Navigating cones during the test on a 600cc sportbike is extremely difficult, and frankly, just plain silly. So check your ego at the door and consider something more sensible. It might save your life.

Just my 2 cents.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

qt314nfla

mr bones it's funny you say that.  i couldn't agree w/ you more.  of course that's probably b/c that's exactly what i did.  bought a 250 ex ninja to start.  yes i got bored w/ it quickly and sold it.  but the experience i gained on it was better than just jumping straight to the gsxr 750 that i got next.  that 250 was great taking the test though.  i couldn't imagine having to do it on my 750.

Young Gun

Quote from: mrbones on January 30, 2008, 10:28:23 AM
You probably heard this already, but I'll say it any way.

I always think a new rider should get a 250cc bike and ride that for a while before getting a gixer or similar sport bike. It's the best way to learn how to ride. A Ninja 250 would be perfect. Master that and you'll be keeping up with the bigger bikes in the corners. You can get a good used one for about $1500. If you buy it outright, you won't even need insurance, but liability is a good idea. Its easy to take the test on a bike like that. That's why they use them (250cc class bikes) in the training courses. Navigating cones during the test on a 600cc sportbike is extremely difficult, and frankly, just plain silly. So check your ego at the door and consider something more sensible. It might save your life.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I did look into those but I will want to get rid of it within a matter of days lol.  I know of a few people who have started out on a 600cc bike and were fine.  They just took it easy for the first week, then slowly got the hang of it.  Maybe I should just buy one, take the test then sell it for a 600cc lol.  My friends brother went out and bought a brand new 05 GSXR1000 as his first bike.  Within a month he ended up going around a corner, hitting some sand and sliding at about 60MPH. 

Bike was damaged pretty good, but he was lucky and walked away with only a few broken ribs and bruises... still better than having to be scraped off the road.  But, he was being stupid... didn't really pay attention to his limits.  He had the bike fixed, and now doesn't even go passed the speed limit lol.  Scared him enough to pay attention
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

mrbones

Exactly. Like you said QT, its the experience that counts. Any salesman will say its pointless to buy a small bike because you will outgrow it. Of course he'll say that, he wants to sell an expensive bike. So what if you outgrow it in 3 months or whatever, you can sell a Ninja for the same price you paid for it because there is always someone out there doing the same thing, learning to ride. So selling it is easy. The experience is far more valuable.

My first bike was a Honda '80 CM200T. It looks like the present day Rebel 250. Then I got a '89 CB-1 400cc sport bike. I rode that for 6 months and sold it for a $300 profit. The handling on that thing was impeccable and so easy to ride. Now I have an '04 SV650 naked. That's all the bike I need at this point. I still don't have the handling dialed-in like the CB-1, but I love torquey v-twins.

I rode my neighbors '04 CBR600RR and it was hard to steer under 30mph. I had to muscle it through the corners and got a horrible leg cramp from the rice rocket seating position. But it was beautiful on the highway at 80mph. It was right at home and of course begged to go faster. That bike belongs on the racetrack.

What's the easiest bike to take the MC test with? My '72 ST90! Its like a CT70 with a 90 engine. I rides like a bicycle, lol and is street legal.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

mrbones

Rebel,

A few days? What's the rush? You can't become a full kung-fu master in a few DAYS!! lol
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Young Gun

#15
Quote from: mrbones on January 30, 2008, 11:03:29 AM
Rebel,

A few days? What's the rush? You can't become a full kung-fu master in a few DAYS!! lol

Apparently you did not know I am Jackie-Chans stunt double.  It's ok, many don't. ;)

I guess it all really depends on when I finally do go to buy... Ego vs. Smarts.  Which will win? ;D

And yes, CBR's suck with handling.  I had a 05 600RR that I got from my neighbor when they moved to Georgia... they had no place to put it on the truck so he said if I wanted to give him $2200 cash it was mine.  I paid for it, and it went into my dads name.  It was a project of his with HIGH mileage, and was laid down.  broken turn signals, scratched side and cases.  It ran... but didn't look that good lol.
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Mudneck

I ve been rinding this Road King for some time & went took the safety course.On a 250. It was peppy & responsive,It could do stuff the Harley would not. The money for the cost is worth it especially when you factor in the insurance discount. I would recommend the course to everyone.Be smart LOOK everywhere obstacles come from every direction even from underneath. Always wear that brain bucket to!

Good luck again I think I have said that 1/2 dozen times to you. ???
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Fox17

you do not need to finance a bike!!!!! dont do it!!! how much do you have for a down payment?

Young Gun

Quote from: bushwacker on January 30, 2008, 11:09:25 AM
I ve been rinding this Road King for some time & went took the safety course.On a 250. It was peppy & responsive,It could do stuff the Harley would not. The money for the cost is worth it especially when you factor in the insurance discount. I would recommend the course to everyone.Be smart LOOK everywhere obstacles come from every direction even from underneath. Always wear that brain bucket to!

Good luck again I think I have said that 1/2 dozen times to you. ???

There would never be a time where I wouldn't wear a helmet -- I know I am a Rebel and all... I'm but stupid not ;)
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Fox17

theres a sweet sounding F4I in the for sale section. if you have 3500 or a lil less, id get that. new bikes are pointless. way overpriced. let someone else take the hit from a dealer. you dont want to.

Young Gun

Quote from: Fox17 on January 30, 2008, 11:10:23 AM
you do not need to finance a bike!!!!! dont do it!!! how much do you have for a down payment?

I have close to $8500 to play with.  I plan on setting aside atleast $3,500 of that though for insurance and other BS. So I would have around $5k to play with but I don't want to go broke like a choke here -- so probably $4000.  If I were to get a 600cc bike I know it would be in the $6500+ range for the year I want.  2K6 GSXR600 Red/Black 8)
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

mrbones

Ok, here's what you do. You buy a $1500 Ninja and save a ton of money. Then you tell your friends that you had to buy because you were broke and you wanted to ride. Then you learn on it and pass the riding test with ease. Then, you practice on it and become a better rider than your friends. That won't be too hard because most younger squids think they are the best rider on the planet. Then, you put them to shame by out cornering them on the next ride. Priceless.

I did that to my neighbor when I was on my CB-1. We were riding some curvy rodes in Brooksville and he was on his CBR600R. I took the curves like I had done about 50 times before with ease. I looked in my rear view and he was long gone. He fell a few miles back because he had to slow down. But, I guess he looked better on his flashy bike going slower and could brag about his 107hp.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Young Gun

Quote from: mrbones on January 30, 2008, 11:30:50 AM
Ok, here's what you do. You buy a $1500 Ninja and save a ton of money. Then you tell your friends that you had to buy because you were broke and you wanted to ride. Then you learn on it and pass the riding test with ease. Then, you practice on it and become a better rider than your friends. That won't be too hard because most younger squids think they are the best rider on the planet. Then, you put them to shame by out cornering them on the next ride. Priceless.

I did that to my neighbor when I was on my CB-1. We were riding some curvy rodes in Brooksville and he was on his CBR600R. I took the curves like I had done about 50 times before with ease. I looked in my rear view and he was long gone. He fell a few miles back because he had to slow down. But, I guess he looked better on his flashy bike going slower and could brag about his 107hp.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/mcy/552071085.html

This seems like a good buy, no?
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

mrbones

Not sure what the "extras" are, but it looks like a clean bike. If you could get it for $1600, it would be hard to pass up.

Here's one that needs a little work $1000:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/mcy/542501493.html

Take it to RTM in Tampa and get it fixed for a couple hundred if that is what is wrong with it.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Young Gun

Quote from: mrbones on January 30, 2008, 12:46:22 PM
Here's one that needs a little work $1000:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/mcy/542501493.html

Take it to RTM in Tampa and get it fixed for a couple hundred if that is what is wrong with it.

If the carb just needs to be cleaned, and the lines flushed I could just do it.  $1000bux is a good deal... I might just have to give that guy a call ;D
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com