Ocala National Forest Phase II Trail system

Started by GrizzlyBear, June 21, 2007, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyBear

Today the USFS announced the final draft for Phase II

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/ocala_phase2.shtml

This is open for 30 days of comments starting June 20, 2007.  If you have any comments, please follow the procedures stated below:

Written comments on this proposal should be sent to: District Ranger, 40929 State Road 19, Umatilla, Florida 32784, telephone (352) 669-3153; fax (352) 669-2385.  Oral or hand-delivered comments must be received within our normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, closed on federal holidays.  Comments may also be mailed electronically in a common digital format to our office at comments-southern-florida-seminole@fs.fed.us or at the local Ranger Stations in Umatilla and Silver Springs.
Friends of the Ocala National Forest           

I would appreciate everyone sending me a copy of your comments;  Terry@onfa.org.  This way I can monitor and make sure they are getting them
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

novadave

Is phase II going to have a 20 mph speed limit for atvs?
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

tekhanto

Are they going to keep up their end of the bargain and groom the trails.............the correct way  ???
You don't stop riding because you get OLD................... You get OLD because you STOP RIDING.
                                        
              &

novadave

Well i'm glad we have this forum so we can get answers to questions about ONF.
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

NPRVinson

I have no desire to ride ONF anymore with everyone piled onto a select few trails and all the fees that are not going towards improving riding. The regs. are ridiculous, I think it's only fair to tax everybody that enters the forrest as they are doing to the ATVers. Might as well close the whole thing down in my opinion because riding there now sucks!!!

novadave

If there was somewhere better to ride within an hour of me . I wouldn't go back either , but ONF and croom is the only place. I feel the same as you do. I wish some investor would figure out that they could make good money opening a atv park in central Fl .
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

flware

Hello all.  I'm new to the board and have been reading some of the posts.  I do have a question that maybe someone can be more clear about.  Is it true that, at this time , a riding permit is not required at big scrub?  We are considering a day trip there later this week and would like to be in compliance.

GrizzlyBear

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

flware

Thanks Grizz.  We are fairly new to this and live very close to the forest.  We should be there this week, so if anyone's around look for obvious newbies on a 2008 TRX300EX and say hey.  Thanks, Dave

novadave

Be sure to have your registration sticker and a copy of your drivers license and title on you while riding.
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

TUFBEINGCHRIS

I agree, ONF has become lame! Never had all of these rules just a few years ago when we use to ride out there every weekend. I'll stick to 5A for the most part....
04 Honda 450R
01 Yamaha Blaster(girlfriends)
99 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
05 Nissan Frontier 4 door 4x4
Female Rednose Pit

SHAWNPROST59

OKAY TO RIDE AT BIG SCRUB I NEED PROOF THAT I OWN MY BIKE.   IVE HAD IT FOR 13 YEARS  AND NEVER HAD OR GOT A BILL OF SALE IT'S A 85 250R WHAT NOW AND DO I NEED TO GET THE 75. PASS THANKS

jpdunc

I am extremely new to this sport, but it is a great new experience riding with my sons and grandchildren--yes I am a senior...in age at least.  My wife thinks I have gone over the edge with this latest adventure.

We rode yesterday on the Northern ONF Trail system after purchasing our annual permits in Salt Springs and had a great day.  I have two questions:

!.  Are you required to wear the permit pinned to your clothing or simply to have it in your possession along with photo ID?  The Volunteer in Salt Springs said wearing was not required, but volunteers at two trail heads said to wear it to avoid a fine.  Who is correct?  Since they are not replaceable, wearing it on the trails seems a bit risky.

2.  When will the Highway 316 trail head be opened?

Thanks in advance for any answers.


GrizzlyBear

you should wear it, I would go to Walmart and buy one of the hunting licence holder.  That has a good pin.  They are working on the 316 trailhead and it should be soon.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

novadave

Quote from: GrizzlyBear on February 04, 2008, 03:23:35 PM
you should wear it, I would go to Walmart and buy one of the hunting licence holder.  That has a good pin.  They are working on the 316 trailhead and it should be soon.
Is phase II going to have a 20 mph speed limit for atvs?
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

GrizzlyBear

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

leeward bound

Dear Grizz

What if any is the word on Phase II.  Was it approved and was it the example noted as the preffered

Thank you

GrizzlyBear

The appeal period for phase II is over.  There are 6 appeals, 4 from hunters and 2 from environmentalists.  These appeals will be heard.  Alternative III is the approved version.  Nothing can be done until after the appeals are heard, then trails can start to be signed.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

leeward bound

Thanks Grizz,

Looks like a great deal of thought has gone into this new trail system.  And from what I was told by Eve last time I was up they are also connecting the existing system to the new southerly system.  If they are to do this will they then enforce a total speed limit on all marked trails of 20MPH?

Has the appeals process started?  Are the appeals publically posted?


Thank you


novadave

When do the new rules go into effect for phase II?
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

GrizzlyBear

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

FoxHondaRider

so wait ocala sucks?  I thought it was fun up there?  if i have to ride 20MPH thats like idling.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

novadave

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

SpeedQuest

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on June 17, 2008, 08:06:02 PM
so wait ocala sucks?  I thought it was fun up there?  if i have to ride 20MPH thats like idling.

Ocala doesn't suck.  But for those not willing to come up and try it and believe all the naysayers, you are missing out.

The 20MPH speed limit is only going to be a problem for someone who is making themselves a problem.

Funny how almost every ticket I have ever personally seen written by Rangers is given to somebody who is riding like a maniac or argumentative with the Ranger right off the bat.

I said it in another thread: http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Eworm

Quote from: SpeedQuest on August 27, 2008, 06:49:40 PM
Quote from: FoxHondaRider on June 17, 2008, 08:06:02 PM
so wait ocala sucks?  I thought it was fun up there?  if i have to ride 20MPH thats like idling.

Ocala doesn't suck.  But for those not willing to come up and try it and believe all the naysayers, you are missing out.

The 20MPH speed limit is only going to be a problem for someone who is making themselves a problem.

Funny how almost every ticket I have ever personally seen written by Rangers is given to somebody who is riding like a maniac or argumentative with the Ranger right off the bat.

I said it in another thread: http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,34648.0.html


I'd have to disagree with these statements.............The rules of the new trail system were put in place to drive ATV traffic away from the forest, plain and simple. How smart was it to implement a two way trail system and say that it's safer than a one way system when most if not all trail systems that are maintained are one way.