450 reliability

Started by Vumad, January 01, 2008, 10:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vumad

Hi, I don't visit these forums much but I was hoping for some help. I've done a bit of asking and reading arround and I hear the YFZ 450 is not very reliable. I have a Warrior 350 and I was looking to upgrade. I believe there's ligitimacy to the lack of reliability of the 450, but I haven't been able to determine if the 450 has a bad reputation because built up race bikes are exploading, or if the stock bike is a time bomb too.

So, what I'm trying to find out is if I get a stock YFZ450, will I be able to jump on it every weekend with little maintance? Will the same be true if I put a pipe on it (I wouldn't do any more engine modifications than a pipe)? If the YFZ 450 isn't reliable, is one of the other 450's as reliable as my warrior?

I want a good sport bike that doesn't take a lot of maintance. I want to be able to change the oil and clean the filters, maintain bearings and things like that. I don't want to have to replace the piston and rings 1-2 times a year as I have been told I would have to do with the YFZ450. I may consider a different 450 model even though the Yamaha is my favorite. I do not race but I get out in the fields or on a rough track and dog my machines. So far, my warrior has held up incredibly well (except for K&N filter letting dirt through and burning up my valves. No more K&N for me.) and I will be happy to keep it if the 450 isn't trustworthy.

crom A zone

i got a 400 kfx 2005 that runs everyweekend  the only thing u gotta do is clean air filter and change the oil i am selling it cheap
2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift

atvtrailer

i have a 2005 trx450r that has over 2000 hours on it with just oil changes and valve adjustments, i had to replace the clutch after about 1200 hours and now after about 2000+ hours its started having a few problems but still original top end and bottom end. as for mods its 100% stock(including pipe and air filter) as for reliability, keeping the bike 100% stock motor wise it will usually last a lot longer if you keep up with the normal maintenance(ie. change oil and filter and keeping the air filter clean)
05 450r #13B

K-Town Quad Boy 08

I HAVE A 2005 HONDA TRX 450R.
VERY RELIABLE
I RIDE ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND
IT HAS A STAGE 2 CAM. EXHAUST,REJETTED THE CARB AND IT RUNS FINE WITH JUST THE USUAL MAINTENECE

crom A zone

i find most sport bikes if you take care of them they run good. my friend had a yfz 450 the only bad part about the bike that i could see he had a problem getting the jetting perfect after he put the pipe on it other that that the bike ran almost everyweekend  there was one cold night it would not start but hey it happens
2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift

Chuck_Norris

The later model YFZ 06/07 would be an OK choice, If you elect to get an earlier model see the oil modification post in the tech section for the Case upgrade.

Fox17

if you want a faster bike look at a 400EX. i was shocked when i rode one of them. not as fast as a YFZ but its close. for woods and trails, cant beat it. most reliable bike ever probably. same as a XR400R!

suzukitrash

450 is plenty reliable. Plenty of free power on it as well. They are very detuned in stock form. The carbs can be very fine tuned and I think that is why people do not like jeting them. Once you get it dialed in they are very fast with a few mods.

novadave

I have an 04 yfz and have had no problems, just clean your air filter and change oil and you will be fine.
HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!

Vumad

Is that everything there is to be contributed?

Thankyou

TUFBEINGCHRIS

I have a Honda 450$ 2004 and it runs like a raped ape. I have the HRC power up kit. I haven't had it very long but I haven't had any problems with it thus far. Cant beat a Honda anything.  Im taking it to a MX track in a couple days to see how it does on the track. And I ride the bike hard.
04 Honda 450R
01 Yamaha Blaster(girlfriends)
99 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
05 Nissan Frontier 4 door 4x4
Female Rednose Pit

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com