installed strobes into the grill of my truck

Started by 300 quadrunner, December 05, 2007, 09:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrpro130

My FORD stays nice and cool, especially on the hwy.
08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods

WickedBanshee

I let my 7.3 diesel idle while filling it up or when i stop for awhile after pulling a heavy load to allow the egt's to drop ...
Pentium D dual core 3.2 extreme
Asus P5ND2 sli mobo
CorsairTwin5400c4 2gb 667 memory
BFG 8600 gt oc PCI-e 512mb
Enermax noisetaker 600w power
Audigy2 zs sound 7.1

Smoknbanshee

Quote from: WickedBanshee on December 13, 2007, 08:58:06 AM
I let my 7.3 diesel idle while filling it up or when i stop for awhile after pulling a heavy load to allow the egt's to drop ...

I do that too, but that only takes a minute at max.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: WickedBanshee on December 13, 2007, 08:58:06 AM
I let my 7.3 diesel idle while filling it up or when i stop for awhile after pulling a heavy load to allow the egt's to drop ...

Letting the vehicle idle before you turn it off allows for oil to cool off the turbo aswell

Bleedsblue

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on December 13, 2007, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: WickedBanshee on December 13, 2007, 08:58:06 AM
I let my 7.3 diesel idle while filling it up or when i stop for awhile after pulling a heavy load to allow the egt's to drop ...

Letting the vehicle idle before you turn it off allows for oil to cool off the turbo aswell

Exactly and a minute is not enough. If you have an EGT gauge you can see the difference. For a normal commute with no load behind the truck it takes about 5 minutes to cool the oil down enough to shut it down, 10-15 minutes for heavy pulling. It's not a Ford, Chevy or Dodge thing it's a Turbo Diesel thing. There are manufacturers out there that make timers that allow your truck to idle without the key in it so you can allow the oil to properly cool down and extend the life of your turbo.

Bill
2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs

Smoknbanshee

hmmm. I am confused, last time I pulled a load, my egt's were down to 350 within a minute of stopping.  maybe I am missing something or don't have the proper gauges?
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

300 quadrunner

no its a ford ranger, look i like my truck, and i dont wanna screw up the tranny, i have a tranny cooler, and a aftermarket off road radiator., but the trailer tires on the boat could use some cooling down after 300 miles
Florida Cracker

2001 Mazda B3000
4" lift on 33" MT/R

2002 Honda Rancher 350
2in Lift with 26in mudlites on 12" SS
Snorkeled exhausted jetted and clutch kit

Bleedsblue

Quote from: Smoknbanshee on December 13, 2007, 05:46:12 PM
hmmm. I am confused, last time I pulled a load, my egt's were down to 350 within a minute of stopping.  maybe I am missing something or don't have the proper gauges?

If your temps are around 350 then you are fine. Some will take longer to get down into that range. Depending on load, condition of oil, exhaust you are running and how hard you are pushing the engine. One of the trucks I used to drive when I was racing would take about 7 minutes to drop below 400 after a long night of towing.

All you are trying to prevent is the oil from burning to the inside of the turbo and gumming things up.

Bill
2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs

Smoknbanshee

Quote from: Bleedsblue on December 13, 2007, 08:22:02 PM
Quote from: Smoknbanshee on December 13, 2007, 05:46:12 PM
hmmm. I am confused, last time I pulled a load, my egt's were down to 350 within a minute of stopping.  maybe I am missing something or don't have the proper gauges?

If your temps are around 350 then you are fine. Some will take longer to get down into that range. Depending on load, condition of oil, exhaust you are running and how hard you are pushing the engine. One of the trucks I used to drive when I was racing would take about 7 minutes to drop below 400 after a long night of towing.

All you are trying to prevent is the oil from burning to the inside of the turbo and gumming things up.

Bill
Understand.  When I haul my parents 5th wheel (13k lbs.) I usually run about 900 degrees F when pulling 75 - 80 mph.  When I pull off the interstate and drive to service plaza for fuel I leave the truck running, but when I stop, usually within a minute the egt's are around 375 degree F.  I am running AFE intake and 4" stainless turbo back exhaust, so that is what probably helps with lowering egt's so fast.  Just wanted to make sure I understood completely.  Oh it is a 2003 7.3 too.  Long live the 7.3's.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!