ATV on the streets

Started by dirty2, April 05, 2005, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quadinfamily

    just got back from over seas got to ride a street artic cat 650 . It was awesome didn't feel it would rollover at all.I would like to ride the steet Yfz 450,they say it handles like better then most cars.
    Now my freind has a honda goldwing trike they are the most dangerest thing I ever been on.
    lets look at pikes peak there are more then 120 turns the top motorcycle was 10 second behind the top quad time.look at stopping ,my frenld has cbr600 and my yfz450.We were both doing 60mph then stop I had three feet on him.
   maybe the government were comparing quads built in the 80's
    

YFZ450AndyH

Even if ATV's were  street safe, I cant see the government legalizing them for street use (at least here in Florida). Heck, they are trying to get rid of us from our established riding areas, why would they want us on the streets?  LOL.  

bftclub

can't believe this thread is still going :-/

donnie_darko


Thrumud

I rather ride a quad on the road than a kia.
[url="http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png"]http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png[/url]

mainetoo2005

Quotestiff
Id@


IDA SAID "STIFF" ;D

wired2ride

Quotei wonder if the would legalize golf carts?they look awesome lifted..and you can hang fuzzy dice and c.d.'s off the mirror and have a bass-hitting stereo  lol
when my family went camping there was all kinds of those.. we asked aobut one and they run abot 7k+

MOWEmDown

yes u can ride them on the stree my friend does. you have to det a speedometer,mounted mirrors,taillight,motorcycle tag, turn signals are recommended but u can use hand signals. thats all he has on his and hes ben pulled over a coulple times in the past year but never ne tickets.

mainetoo2005

#33
I used to ride dirt bikes on the road. It only took a little modification. I had a Suzuki PE 250 and a Kawasaki KDX 250. Ya, I used to get pulled over a lot at first. But once a cop had pulled me over and saw that everything was in order (Registration, inspection sticker) off I would go.

Just a hint... Vermont will register ANYTHING for you and you don't have to be a resident! Check the Vermont DMV website. They even have an online form.

Register it in Vermont. Make sure you have DOT approved tires. Make sure lights work, including brake lights. and have signals and a rear veiw mirror and then cruise Main street. Nothing they could do.

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

As a Florida resident, it's mandatory that your vehicles are registered here unless you own a snowbird residence and reside primarily in the other state. FL Statute 316.2074 (5) defines and strictly prohibits ATVs on public roadways. Regardless if it has a tag from another state or country, it does not supercede state law.

big-daddy

QuoteAs a Florida resident, it's mandatory that your vehicles are registered here unless you own a snowbird residence and reside primarily in the other state. FL Statute 316.2074 (5) defines and strictly prohibits ATVs on public roadways. Regardless if it has a tag from another state or country, it does not supercede state law.
Your wrong there! There a motorcycle hang out every last thurday of the month. And there a Quad with a tag and drives it in the street. The police are there too checking tags and the bikes. So what up with that?
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

mainetoo2005

#36
http://www.atvsport.com/output.cfm?id=860995

Here's the 3-wheeler guy that rode across the US INCLUDING FLORIDA!

Here is his website. STREETLEGALATV.COM! LOL
http://streetlegalatv.com/

mainetoo2005

QuoteFL Statute 316.2074 (5) defines and strictly prohibits ATVs on public roadways. Regardless if it has a tag from another state or country, it does not supercede state law.

And Fl Statute 316.2074 (2) says:  As used in this section, the term "all-terrain vehicle" means any motorized off-highway vehicle 50 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended for use by a single operator with no passenger.

SO make it 51" or wider and  change the low pressure tires for regular DOT approved tires and you should be legal!

donnie_darko


bftclub

crazy..........i wouldn't ride on highways down here on a quad,,to many idiots in cars,,could you imagine the idiots in cars alongside idiots on quads............thats ok,,,,i'll drive my truck on street and quad off highway and not be labeled an organ donor as are the guys on crouch rockets

bftclub

spelling error= crotch rocket,,,,,,,,,,,,long day :-/

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

#41
Big-daddy, If the quad you mention does not meet the definition of an ATV, defined in 316.2074 (2)(5), then it's not an ATV, thus not part of this discussion. I'm concerned about someone putting an out-of-state tag on a defined ATV and thinking they can ride legally on the roadways. If you modify an ATV beyond the the states definition, it becomes a motorized vehicle. Then it must meet motorized vehicle standards to operate legally on roadways.

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

#42
If you read 316.2074 further, you'll see sub-section (7) that allows law enforcement to operate on public roadways/lands. My ATV is fully marked, lights/siren, turn signals, rear view mirror, ect....Even with all that, it's no fun riding on the roads. I usually avoid the roads by loading it in the back of my patrol truck and unloading near my patrol areas. I like the one on that "streetlegalatv.com" site. That's what everyone needs!! Dual-purpose ATVs.....

dirty2

#43
Is doing a willy on the street with a motorcycle legal if you are doing the speed limit. Would be nice if atv's were legal on the streets. I'm tire of doing willy's off road to many hole. 8)
I could just see my self going down SW 8 street on two wheels.

dirty2

#44
I ride know on the streets less cops telling you not to ride on the streets.the trails that are
 left are  [smiley=Dead.gif]

MuddyGurl101

QuoteI heard on the radio that atv are going to be alowed to
ride on the street  but the tires would have to be changed to
street tires. Has any one else heard of this ??? ??? ???
or are they pulling my leg...

You aren't the only one, I heard about it to but the bikes would also need side mirrors and turning signals.
2005 Red Arctic Cat 400
Ram Cup Holder
26x10 Mud Lites

dirty2

Do you remember the radio station  [smiley=BigSmile.gif]

MuddyGurl101

I didn't hear it on the radio, I heard it in the news!
2005 Red Arctic Cat 400
Ram Cup Holder
26x10 Mud Lites

dirty2


MuddyGurl101

2005 Red Arctic Cat 400
Ram Cup Holder
26x10 Mud Lites