Neapolitan Mastiff hater stay out!

Started by big-daddy, October 09, 2007, 01:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big-daddy

General Appearance
An ancient breed, rediscovered in Italy in the 1940's, the Neapolitan Mastiff is a heavy-boned, massive, awe inspiring dog bred for use as a guard and defender of owner and property. He is characterized by loose skin, over his entire body, abundant, hanging wrinkles and folds on the head and a voluminous dewlap. The essence of the Neapolitan is his bestial appearance, astounding head and imposing size and attitude. Due to his massive structure, his characteristic movement is rolling and lumbering, not elegant or showy.

Temperament
The Neapolitan Mastiff is steady and loyal to his owner, not aggressive or apt to bite without reason. As a protector of his property and owners, he is always watchful and does not relish intrusion by strangers into his personal space. His attitude is calm yet wary.


History
The Neapolitan Mastiff has been recognized as a breed in the modern world only since 1949. However, through paintings and statues dating from 3000 B.C., we can trace his roots to the giant war dogs of Egypt, Persia, Mesopotamia, and Asia. Even Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.) was instrumental in creating the Neapolitan Mastiff.

Alexander is known to have crossed the giant Macedonian and Epirian war dogs with the short-haired "Indian" dogs to create the Molossus. The Molossus was a dog characterized by having a wide, short muzzle and a heavy dewlap and was used to fight tigers, lions, elephants, and men in battle. This animal is easily recognized as the great forefather of the Neapolitan Mastiff.

When the Romans conquered Greece, they adopted the Molossus dogs and also used them in battle, in the hunt, and in the arena. The Roman invasion of England gave them access to the even larger giant Mastiff dogs there which the Romans crossed with their own now formidable war beasts.

Over the centuries, breeders of the mastino in the Neapolitan area of southern Italy, focused on breeding guards for the homes and estate. They created a breed which retained the giant size, heavy, loose skin and dewlap. This was an animal which was a stay-at-home type, and was good with the family but was bred to detect unwanted intruders and to deter them from the property under their care. Indeed, many say that the Neapolitan Mastiff's serious looks alone are enough to deter any intruder.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

sparkplug01

Your safe as long as it's not a pit.Post some pics to show the size difference between the mastiff and your pit.with them side by side.

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

big-daddy

sparkplug01 Neapolitan Mastiff puppies goes for $3500.00 female and males at $3000.00.  ;)
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

UncleRico

Do you ever dress your Napoleon Mastiff up in sweaters and funny hats while you're down at RR?
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

big-daddy

yes, He wears a white pointed hat and a white robe.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

sparkplug01

Dang thats high.But they are cool dogs . How much does one eat in a week.

renmus

I never dressed up a mastiff, but we did have two little dashaunds dressed in coordinating sweaters.  It was a little embarassing when they ran loose and I had to describe them...sweaters and all.  Oh well, they got back safe and sound and the sweaters stayed clean.  They were the two best dressed dogs there.

Captain The Morgan

Wait, which one is bigger the Bull Mastiff or the Napoleon Mastiff?

big-daddy

Quote from: sparkplug01 on October 09, 2007, 01:27:30 AM
Dang thats high.But they are cool dogs . How much does one eat in a week.

12 cups of dog food a day
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

blupits04

#10
Ya know I always heard a man buys a big dog to compensate for something...is that true?!?!?! LMAO


Cool lookin dog...Hate to have your feed bill :)

Hey wait a min...Nextel pays that good?! No wonder my bill is so damn high! lol


Be back later to catch the hell


Has to be the Bull you know Napolean was a small man ;) Hey wait a min.... Is there a coikedink here?
[url="//www.freewebs.com/bluegottypits"]www.freewebs.com/bluegottypits[/url]

big-daddy

Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 09, 2007, 01:29:13 AM
Wait, which one is bigger the Bull Mastiff or the Napoleon Mastiff?


Neapolitan Mastiff
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

k.p.

those dogs are so cool
my favorite dogs are

1.irish wolfhounds
2.german shorthair pointers
3.mastiffs

they're all awesome and loyal dogs
but 3,500 for a puppy?heck no!looks like im not gettin one

caospop

2007 Polaris Sportsman

Captain The Morgan

We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.


big-daddy

Quote from: blupits04 on October 09, 2007, 01:30:26 AM
Ya know I always heard a man buys a big dog to compensate for something...is that true?!?!?! LMAO


Cool lookin dog...Hate to have your feed bill :)

Hey wait a min...Nextel pays that good?! No wonder my bill is so damn high! lol


Be back later to catch the hell


Has to be the Bull you know Napolean was a small man ;)


No that not true............That for guns........wait I own a .50 dersert eagle :(


And get ready for some more charges on your next bill.  ;)
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

caospop

yeah but i thought he was puppy back then... he is adorable though.
2007 Polaris Sportsman

big-daddy

Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 09, 2007, 01:33:48 AM
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.



I think he will rape you.  ???
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

big-daddy

Quote from: caospop on October 09, 2007, 01:36:59 AM
yeah but i thought he was puppy back then... he is adorable though.

he still is! adorable and think he still a puppy.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

caospop

Quote from: big-daddy on October 09, 2007, 01:38:29 AM
Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 09, 2007, 01:33:48 AM
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.



I think he will rape you.  ???
Now this i gotta see. ???
2007 Polaris Sportsman

big-daddy

Quote from: renmus on October 09, 2007, 01:28:46 AM
I never dressed up a mastiff, but we did have two little dashaunds dressed in coordinating sweaters.  It was a little embarassing when they ran loose and I had to describe them...sweaters and all.  Oh well, they got back safe and sound and the sweaters stayed clean.  They were the two best dressed dogs there.

I heard about Scotty losing his dogs out there. 
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

big-daddy

Quote from: caospop on October 09, 2007, 01:42:16 AM
Quote from: big-daddy on October 09, 2007, 01:38:29 AM
Quote from: Captain The Morgan on October 09, 2007, 01:33:48 AM
We should put a saddle on him, and we can ride him down the main grade! He is a good looking dog.



I think he will rape you.  ???
Now this i gotta see. ???

SEE......... you can heard him now squeal like a pig!
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

dynodon

My English Mastiff is only around 125lbs, BUT, I guarranty if she doesnt know ya, You DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO COME IN MY HOUSE. Her BARK alone is usually enough.

Ricky, does he FLAKE out if something is moved ???
Ours, If anything, and I mean anything is move ( even a chair turned out of place) she will bark like no tomarrow at it, until you put it back where it is supposed to be.

I will say this, Mastiffs are VERY loyal dogs... Cutngrs has a French Mastiff, he is the same way.
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

Smoknbanshee

Quote from: dynodon on October 09, 2007, 01:57:13 AM
My English Mastiff is only around 125lbs, BUT, I guarranty if she doesnt know ya, You DONT WANT TO EVEN TRY TO COME IN MY HOUSE. Her BARK alone is usually enough.

Ricky, does he FLAKE out if something is moved ???
Ours, If anything, and I mean anything is move ( even a chair turned out of place) she will bark like no tomarrow at it, until you put it back where it is supposed to be.

I will say this, Mastiffs are VERY loyal dogs... Cutngrs has a French Mastiff, he is the same way.

Yes he is. 

12 cups a day.  My jack russells only get 1 cup a day during trial season where they are working out 4 days a week.  I am so glad I don't have your feed bill.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!