ATV LAW?

Started by mainetoo2005, July 29, 2007, 11:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainetoo2005

A friend of mine found an abandoned ATV in the woods. The Sherriff was called and the ATV was towed. An initial check to see if it was stolen. Nothing was found. Can my friend claim the ATV if no owner is found? If so how does the process work in Florida?

Thanks

miniquad8

sorry to say but it will prob be sold in a police auction...legal documentation is requirred before the police will release it..i.e. title.registration,origional invoice with your name and vin...
cam covil#8
04 dade city unlimited mini quad 2nd place
05 dade city unlimited mini quad 1st place
05 gnc mx 70 production 3rd place
06 gnc mx 70 shifter national champion(round 3,5,6,7,8,9,11 winner)
06 dade city quad youth 1st place
06 gncc round 1,4 winner

AmericanRobster

Quote from: miniquad8 on July 29, 2007, 12:24:13 PM
sorry to say but it will prob be sold in a police auction...legal documentation is requirred before the police will release it..i.e. title.registration,origional invoice with your name and vin...

He is correct!
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Gato

if there ever is a next time dont call the cops unless it looks like a crime scene and by that I mean blood and guts if it starts It is yours lol and if not tow it and it still yours
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1

crom A zone

i like the way u think gato  ;) just rember to make a new vin number on the bike so that way they cant trace it back to the owner
2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift

mainetoo2005

Receiving stolen merchandise and changing VINs? Those don't sound like  good ideas.

Gato

Quote from: mainetoo2005 on July 29, 2007, 06:18:20 PM
Receiving stolen merchandise and changing VINs? Those don't sound like  good ideas.
I guess you didnt see or read the question. He found the quad it was not reported stolen>>>
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1

Bigscrb15

I think he did the right thing. Hopefully the owner will be found. The owner might not even know it was stolen yet.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

backwoods boy

what kind was it where was it found becuz i got off mine to go take a dump last weekend [bad chili] and i came back my quad was gone  ???
NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING

mainetoo2005

Quote from: Gato on July 29, 2007, 06:21:38 PM
Quote from: mainetoo2005 on July 29, 2007, 06:18:20 PM
Receiving stolen merchandise and changing VINs? Those don't sound like  good ideas.
I guess you didnt see or read the question. He found the quad it was not reported stolen>>>

Ummm... Gato. I'm sure it wasn't delivered there by mistake... or "fall off a truck". I'm just stabbing the dark here but I think it might have been stolen and left there. Therefore... yes, the right thing to do is call the police and try to get it back to the owner. If it were my ATV I would be PISSED and want it back as I am sure anyone would. I stand behind my friends decision to do the right and legal thing. But that's just me.

And YES... I saw and read the question... I POSTED it! LOL.

mainetoo2005

Quote from: backwoods boy on July 29, 2007, 06:23:31 PM
what kind was it where was it found becuz i got off mine to go take a dump last weekend [bad chili] and i came back my quad was gone  ???

Sarasota. It is an Eiger 400 - Camo. Looks pretty new.

bwfish

Remember it can always be a sting operation. Rule of thumb if its not yours and you can't find someone injured LEAVE IT ALONE and call the authorities. I know of someone walking around an abandoned lawn maintenance trailer and he claims all he did was rest on the side while looking under it. Now has lots of legal issues and may get divorced over it.
2009 Rhino SE 700 14" ITP w/27"mudlites
2009 rzr
2007 transformer4
2009 Polaris Ranger 500
2003 kaw 250 Bayou
2009 Kaw 50

mudnuri

Quote from: Gato on July 29, 2007, 03:40:40 PM
if there ever is a next time dont call the cops unless it looks like a crime scene and by that I mean blood and guts if it starts It is yours lol and if not tow it and it still yours

That is whacked. Nice upbringing
Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i

BIGREDTIDE

Quote from: Gato on July 29, 2007, 03:40:40 PM
if there ever is a next time dont call the cops unless it looks like a crime scene and by that I mean blood and guts if it starts It is yours lol and if not tow it and it still yours

So.....then it becomes stolen then...by you  >:(

Tard!!   ::)
Jeff
'85 250ES Big Red
'03 CBR 600RR

eldiablo64

maybe the owner was checkin his garden(if ya know what I mean),came back and his quad was gone.I would just call the police and not touch it.or maybe go sit back off in the bushes awhile and see if anybody comes after it they could 've been takin a dump or somethin.
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

Gato

Quote from: BIGREDTIDE on July 30, 2007, 01:48:37 PM
Quote from: Gato on July 29, 2007, 03:40:40 PM
if there ever is a next time dont call the cops unless it looks like a crime scene and by that I mean blood and guts if it starts It is yours lol and if not tow it and it still yours

So.....then it becomes stolen then...by you  >:(

Tard!!   ::)
he said they checked and it was not reported but like he said it is a newer quad if ran through the system they would know if it was or atleast know who it belongs to but if no one claims it he should get it Tard that is a cool word "Tard"
Quote from: mudnuri on July 30, 2007, 10:26:10 AM
Quote from: Gato on July 29, 2007, 03:40:40 PM
if there ever is a next time dont call the cops unless it looks like a crime scene and by that I mean blood and guts if it starts It is yours lol and if not tow it and it still yours

That is whacked. Nice upbringing
Tard you
Quote from: mainetoo2005 on July 29, 2007, 06:37:45 PM
Quote from: Gato on July 29, 2007, 06:21:38 PM
Quote from: mainetoo2005 on July 29, 2007, 06:18:20 PM
Receiving stolen merchandise and changing VINs? Those don't sound like  good ideas.
I guess you didnt see or read the question. He found the quad it was not reported stolen>>>

Ummm... Gato. I'm sure it wasn't delivered there by mistake... or "fall off a truck". I'm just stabbing the dark here but I think it might have been stolen and left there. Therefore... yes, the right thing to do is call the police and try to get it back to the owner. If it were my ATV I would be PISSED and want it back as I am sure anyone would. I stand behind my friends decision to do the right and legal thing. But that's just me.

And YES... I saw and read the question... I POSTED it! LOL.
sorry I read and post not looking at who post it but thank I will look from now on and my comments where made as a joke but I will choose my words before posting TARDS PS not you maine too2005 cool word ! cool word ! I say thank BIGREDTIDE I love it TTTTTAAAARRRRDDDD!
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1

4MANFREAK

I would check the law but i'm sure they ran the vin numbers by now and contacted the owner. If nobody  claims the ATV within 90 days your friend may get a call to pick it up before it goes to auction. Good luck..
2006 FOREMAN 500 4x4
2004 Rancher 350 4x4
2002 400 EX
1997 FOREMAN 400 4x4

JackL

Quote from: mainetoo2005 on July 29, 2007, 11:32:02 AM
A friend of mine found an abandoned ATV in the woods. The Sherriff was called and the ATV was towed. An initial check to see if it was stolen. Nothing was found. Can my friend claim the ATV if no owner is found? If so how does the process work in Florida?

Thanks


I'd be mad if my bike broke down, and while walking to the truck someone came along and took it!
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

gtnwood

That's what I'm thinkin Junior >:(
By the way I wouldn't expect a call form the Police unless it's for a follow up investigative interview, cuz if they dont find an owner and no one claims it, say w/i 90 day's they can auction it for a profit.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com