Dumb question about GPS cordinates

Started by IXIswamperIXI, July 27, 2007, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXIswamperIXI

How do you (for example) speak or say:

26°21'2.59"N     
81°31'5.22"W

I thought it is 26 degrees 21 feet 2.59 inches North
                     81 degrees 31 feet 5.22 inches West

Am I wrong? If so how do you say it? Oh yea and how the hell do you make a degree symbol on the computer without copy and paste from somewhere else?  BTW I feel real stupid here LOL
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

TxsRanger99

I believe it is: North 26 degrees 21 hours 2.59 minutes
                   West 81 degrees 31 hours 5.22 minutes

I dont about the degree symbol part

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: TxsRanger99 on July 27, 2007, 04:38:24 PM
I believe it is: North 26 degrees 21 hours 2.59 minutes
                   West 81 degrees 31 hours 5.22 minutes


:Y :Y

Da_Mtg_Man

Geeeez, You're so stupid! ;)

By the way, I have no idea what they mean.





Just kidding. I'm almost 100% that tsxranger is right.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

IXIswamperIXI

cool thanks guys for the help  :ThumbsUp.gif I dont like sounding like an idiot when I am talking to everyone
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

GrizzlyBear

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

Michael Bolton


IXIswamperIXI

hmmm.... see I wasn't the only one who wasn't for sure LOL  How about a degree symbol on the keyboard?  I thought in school (way back when) there was an alternate keyboard with nothing but symbols.  Now I can't remember where, when I first started this post I had to copy , paste off from Google Earth LOL
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

fishfry

#8
IXIswamperIXI

   Never give your home cord's.

We know were you live.


Your just off Immokalee Rd. and Everglades Blvd N.

I will not give out your address.

I know your at home trying to figuring out your new GPS.
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II

H2Ocaver

[url="//www.tampabikers.com"]www.tampabikers.com[/url]
EZ Scuba Diving
www.ezscuba.com
[url="http://www.tampabikers.com/TampaBikerscom.jpg"]http://www.tampabikers.com/TampaBikerscom.jpg[/url]

KB

maybe use an asterik symbol instead of the circle degree symbol ? **** just a thought.

fishfry

IXIswamperIXI

If you would like to learn more about your GPS go to

http://www.geocaching.com

It free and fun.  I have found 100 of caches.
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: fishfry on July 27, 2007, 09:14:06 PM
IXIswamperIXI

   Never give your home cord's.

We know were you live.


Your just off Immokalee Rd. and Everglades Blvd N.

I will not give out your address.

I know your at home trying to figuring out your new GPS.

AHHH I do live close to there but I asure not there LOL on google earth if you zoom in its just a hole not to far from my house LOL nice try though  :ThumbsUp.gif
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: fishfry on July 27, 2007, 09:43:58 PM
IXIswamperIXI

If you would like to learn more about your GPS go to

http://www.geocaching.com

It free and fun.  I have found 100 of caches.


thanks for the info I will try it out  8)
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

fishfry

Is that in Poggie Strand or Horsepen.
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: fishfry on July 27, 2007, 10:25:59 PM
Is that in Poggie Strand or Horsepen.

You know I am not sure... I wouldn't think it has a name, it is really small place.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Ida_Mann

N 28 degrees 53 hours 45.95 minutes
W 81 degrees 13 hours 40.41 minutes

whoa, you can sure tell that I'm the one with a pressure washer in the neighborhood ;-)

google earth is freaking incredible,,,,yes that's my 6X12 enclosed trailer in the front yard, yes I keep a sparkling pool, and I can even see a piece of rain gutter laying in the back yard

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

anarion55

DEFINITELY Degrees, Minutes, Seconds.

That is how Lat/Lon has ALWAYS been, (yes, it was in use LONG before GPS was invented).

Tony
Shut up and hang on.

Tony

Kawasaki KFX400, ZX-9r

Moose

Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question, until you have asked it 8 or 10 times.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Justbilly

Quote from: GrizzlyBear on July 27, 2007, 06:33:09 PM
It is Degrees, minutes, seconds

Ding Ding Ding!

This is how it is said.  Some people will say North 28° or swap it around and say 28° North, but thats about it..
This is the Lat/Long to the entrance of Bimini for example.

Lat    = 25 degrees,   43.0 minutes   North
Long = 79 degrees,   18.1 minutes   West

Also, as for the degree symbol.. It is ALT-0176


JackL

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Justbilly on August 01, 2007, 02:14:18 PM
Quote from: GrizzlyBear on July 27, 2007, 06:33:09 PM
It is Degrees, minutes, seconds

Ding Ding Ding!

This is how it is said.  Some people will say North 28° or swap it around and say 28° North, but thats about it..
This is the Lat/Long to the entrance of Bimini for example.

Lat    = 25 degrees,   43.0 minutes   North
Long = 79 degrees,   18.1 minutes   West

Also, as for the degree symbol.. It is ALT-0176



ahh... you the man LOL I knew there was a way to make a degree symbol, no one else said, thanks for your help
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

JackL

PS. Go into the menu of your GPS and set it to decimal.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.