Polaris- Belt Slippage from Water

Started by jayd, March 29, 2005, 12:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayd

I recently purchased a new 2005 Polaris Sportsman and I am having trouble of water getting into the transmission/belt drive. When driving through water, the water level is over the round transmission housing but not higher than that, and it is easily passable water b/c I was following two other Sportsman's that did not have the problem. We were riding at River Ranch and several times I had to stop to pull the drain plug and anywhere from a cup to two cups of water came out and again the other two machine did not have this problem riding the same trail.
I spoke to the local dealer and they did change the gasket around the housing hoping this was the problem but again today I had the same problem going through water holes, but again I am not sinking the machine, just easy passable high water trails and the deep part is no more than 5-10 feet long (short passage). I have rode and seen other Polaris machines go through deeper water and I have never have this problem before.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?
Thanks,
Jay

I could never do this on the my machine but should be able too. >:(  

jackinthebox23

I have a new polaris and do not have the problem...though I have heard of more than several polaris owners having the same problem.  Luck of the draw I guess.   Check the gasket once again and make sure it's not getting pinched when installed.  The gasket on my front rack storage box was pinched from the start and it is no longer water tight.  Other than that..I'd be interested to see what everyone else has to say in case it happens to mine.  
2005 Polaris Sportsman 400

Truegrit

Find out where your belt snorkles are at and keep the water below them. On my 2002 SP500 the belt exhaust came out by my left knee near the fuel shutoff. As long as I kept the water below that no problems. If you have to go deeper than that, pull on the bars give it gas and wheelie through the hole. But you should know where the snorkles go first. I'm not sure on the '05s.
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

wired2ride

ive had that problem on my magnum but never on the 700sportsman. i can go through 8 inches plus for a long time but if i start pushing the throttle it will start to slip and when im out of water it will still slip for about 2-3 minutes and then ill be able to hit it again.

Truegrit

If it slips, its wet. and the slipping belt will eat away at your aluminum clutch pulleys. Eventually you will wear a groove in to it and it will have to be replaced. You will notice the bike begin to creep forward while its idling in gear. Thats when its time to hae it replaced, at a minimun reshimed.
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

jayd

I spoke to the local dealer again and they are going to call Polaris to investigate the problem a little deeper. Thanks for your responses. Jay

dreth


seaviper

I got two 2005 polaris's and do not have the belt slippage problem.

I did have a pinched seal on the front storage box though.

Do any of you know what psi reading is good  for a 700 twin cylinder compression check? I'm getting 180 psi on both bikes.
Polaris 700 Twin, Warn 3000lb winch, Lowrance iFinder Hunt GPS,Continental double ATV trailer

surfnskate98

ive had water get im my belt box i have a yamaha kodiack 450 i have same problem. i fixed it though. thier is a seal in the back of the belt box make sure that is not broken. and also thier are pipes leading up to gas tank make sure thier is no holes or cracks thier.