Wheel spacers, good or bad?

Started by FoxHondaRider, July 03, 2007, 01:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxHondaRider

Alright so my friend is looking to put wheel spacers on his rear wheels.  Are they any good?  or do they bend or anything?  Just curious.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

LTR450 994

if he lands hard off a good size jump he will bend the axel but if he's just riding trails and doing small jumps they are fine.

FoxHondaRider

Thats exactly what I was thinking that wouldn't spacers make your axle more vulnerable to bend.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

klutchbuster400

What kind of bike is it? I wouldnt see spacers doing much damage to a quad like a blaster. Anything heavier, :ThumbsDown.gif

FoxHondaRider

Its a TRX250EX so yeah its not that wide.  With 2"wheel spacers it will just be as wide as my 400.  I wouldn't try it to my 400 because I know something would break.  It should be fine.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

1FasterBlaster

 I put 2" spacers on my Blaster when I had it, and never had any problems. I weigh over 200 lbs too. As long as he's not doing any MX style riding, he should be fine. But there is that stress on the axle that you have to be wary of; especially if he's a heavy person riding it hard.
   And don't use the ones that are just lugnuts. Use the real ones.

Ida_Mann

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on July 03, 2007, 01:50:55 PM
Alright so my friend is looking to put wheel spacers on his rear wheels.  Are they any good?  or do they bend or anything?  Just curious.

yes

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

budman

I have spacers all around on my rancher, and no problems other than the stance on the front wheels is different, so I can't fit thru the tight spaces like I used to, and caught a stump, rolled the bike. I also can't see how a spacer would bend an axle. You are bolting a flange tight to the existing backing plate. The wheel still is bolted flush to a flush extension. Maybe if you had the lug-type cheap spacers......
[url="//www.rratv.net"]www.rratv.net[/url]


2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)
06 Recon (not mine)

FoxHondaRider

My friend doesnt do any "hardcore" jumping and he's only about 150lbs if that.  What do you mean the real ones?  I'm going to post pictures and you tell me which one is good.

Dura Blue Graph-Light EZ Fit

UM Performance

G-Force
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Fox17

the ones like the g-force ones are what id go with. i had some on a yfz450 and no problems.

1FasterBlaster

#10
  They have some spacers that look like long lugnuts,  they can brake. Axles are designed to work the way their made. Imagine adding 400 lbs. to the middle of a weight bar; the longer the bar, the more it bends in the middle. It can only take so much weight. I like the Durablue, or the G-force. Although sometimes they can be a b_tch to fit properly. Nothing a little banging with a hammer can't fix to get them on.

FoxHondaRider

alright thanks for the info, I will pass this along to my friend.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

NYRAPTOR

i put these on my raptor. so far so good. big improvement on handling. check out this site.

http://www.dmiracing.com/dmi2.0/atvs.php?qType=WS&qClass=Full&qMake=YAMAHA

FoxHondaRider

2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

NYRAPTOR

very easy to install. 20 minutes tops. USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!! i didn't :( everything's fixed now.  ;)

FoxHondaRider

why what was the deal?  or your saying use one because its just plain easier?
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Fox17

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on July 05, 2007, 11:11:18 PM
why what was the deal?  or your saying use one because its just plain easier?


they'll come loose. use a torque wrench or a impact wrench.

Team Alba Z400 Rider 43

Think about it this way, you can spend a good $100 on a nice set of wheel spacers, or spend an extra 100$ and get a G-force axle with a lifetime warranty.
-2006 Suzuki LT-R450-
-2004 Suzuki LT-Z400-

Harry: "Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." - Dumb and Dumber

NYRAPTOR

#18
i overtightened one of the bolts and stripped the threads.  had to chisel the nut off to get the bolt out.

FoxHondaRider

My friend has a 250ex and replacing the axle will most likely be a pain because its direct drive shaft.  Wheel spacer will do just fine for him. 
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com