Help me identify snake

Started by jpease, June 20, 2007, 03:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpease

My kids found a little snake in the backyard and we are trying to figure out what kind is it

Here are the pics


Chillinthemost

Looks like a live one, kill it immediately, all snakes must die.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

fishfry

Looks like a cotton mouth. You got any water near by.
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II

Bounty1

A little dark but looks like a garter snake--Good snake.  ;)

qt314nfla

Quote from: Chillinthemost on June 20, 2007, 03:07:16 AM
Looks like a live one, kill it immediately, all snakes must die.

ding ding ding.  we have a winner of the identify this snake contest.

jpease

Quote from: fishfry on June 20, 2007, 03:10:04 AM
Looks like a cotton mouth. You got any water near by.
there is a little pond on the left corner of our lot.

fishfry

It is small and hard to tell but it head is pointed like all bad snakes.
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II

Sleazy_Rider78

[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

qt314nfla

Quote from: Sleazy_Rider78 on June 20, 2007, 03:57:57 AM
Could be a trouser snake. 

Nah.  I don't mind trouser snakes they just spit.  No biting.  I'm gonna be that one has teeth.  So I'm w/ chillin on his response.

foreman1

Aaaahhhhhh ......Baby Black Mamba !!!!!! :Dead.gif
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

JackL

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Young Gun

Quote from: Bounty on June 20, 2007, 03:10:23 AM
A little dark but looks like a garter snake--Good snake.  ;)

Yeah, its a garter.  Its a bit dark but you can tell from the line going down its back all the way.

Comparison:

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

1FasterBlaster

   I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive it's a Florida Anaconda!! Really, it's a Garter snake.

AmericanRobster

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Bounty1


jpease

I would like to thank everyone for your help.  At this point with your help I feel confident it is garter snake.  My 6yrs old son has a fascination with snakes.  He found it yesterday around our house.

Thanks!

greenmachine

Quote from: Chillinthemost on June 20, 2007, 03:07:16 AM
Looks like a live one, kill it immediately, all snakes must die.
My Grandpa always said "The only good snake is a dead snake". I have to agree.


cheropride

I like snakes, use to have couple of pet garters.  That small though, not sure what you would feed it.  I know when they get bigger they like crickets.  For what ever reason though they are hard to keep alive...

Drive my husband crazy, till this day, I see snake I try and catch.   
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

SlowJoeRacing

ONE THAT SHOULD BE DEAD I HATE SNAKES GOOD OR BAD
~~~SLOW-JOE-RACING~~~
JOSEPH#992 - HONDA 450R - RACER
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R - MACHANIC/PIT CREW

THANKS: MY DAD WITH ALL-TECH - SCOTT USA - GT~THUNDER - Cycle Gear - KLOTZ SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS

quadracer1992

Its a Florida Blue Garter Snake to be specific.
Completely Harmless. They make good pets.
~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~

quadracer1992

Definately not a Cottonmouth( Water Mocasin) Cottonmouths are dark brown or black in color with light brown stripes. They obviously have a bright white mouth inside, hence the name Cottonmouth.
~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~

quadracer1992

A few facts for those who dont know their snakes.

"Although 45 species of snakes are found in Florida, only the 6 listed here are venomous and a danger to humans—Southern copperhead, Cottonmouth, Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Timber Rattlesnake, Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake, and Eastern Coral Snake( Dont get the Coral Snake mixed up with the harmless Scarlet King Snake) The Scarlet King Has a color pattern, which you can tell the differnece between the two snakes with this little rhym- "red on black, friend of Jack, red on yellow, killed the fellow". The remaining 39 species (and 41 subspecies) are harmless and should be protected for the beneficial role they play in natural ecosytems, eating insects, rodents, rabbits, and other small prey. If you are interested in all of our snakes, then you should visit our 'Online Guide to the Snakes of Florida'.

~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~

bigscrub79

All yall who wanna kill them must love mice and rats. I love seeing snakes around my house, free pest control. I also have 7 snakes as pets so they dont bother me at all.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Bigscrb15

Quote from: bigscrub79 on June 20, 2007, 05:41:40 PM
All yall who wanna kill them must love mice and rats. I love seeing snakes around my house, free pest control. I also have 7 snakes as pets so they dont bother me at all.


They still should all die!!!!!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."