Engagement Rings

Started by shirah86, June 06, 2007, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shirah86

Any of you fellas know a good place to get a ring i went to gordons and found the one i like for her but a buddy of mine said places like that sell crap diamonds lemme know of any suggestions

jayman

Have you tried Walmart   ;D

Sorry, I just had to!!!
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

greenmachine

No matter where you go, plan on spending at least 2 months salary. That is usualy the rule of thumb. Unless you are rich like Jayman... ;) then you better drop 4 months salary.

Actually my best advice is for you to get a diamond rating chart & familiarize yourself with it. Ask them the rating & ask tehm to see one of their little looking glasses to look at it up close. If you see blurs or black specs, that makes it cheap.


cheropride

Personally I would shop around, and yea, even the Walmarts various stores.  First compare prices, you can actually tell alot by looking at the diamond.  Like was said, watch for dark spots, or if you hold the diamond up to the light you might see imperfections.  Ask about warranties, in tell them that you will have the diamond appraised and what are your options if it is appraised way below what you bought for it.

Oh yea, and since I am a woman...... my diamond as a small what they call "flaw", but no one, I mean no one every see's it, they only always comment on how big the diamond is :-*.  I believe with this small flaw my hubby was able to buy me the bigger diamond.  And trust me, when it comes to diamonds, bigger is better..... ;)
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

qt314nfla

Do you think she'd rather have you pick out the ring or would she prefer to get what she wants?  If you're gonna pick it out follow the instructions about the diamond chart and make sure it has very few specs.  Yes, those commercial stores don't sell the best quality jewelry.  Try a small local jewler or diamond retailer.  As for how much to spend, I have no clue.  If it ever happens for me I'll probably have to buy my own...haha!  If you think she would prefer picking the ring then do something creative and interesting that will shock her and let her know you're gonna go ring shopping w/ her.  Definately find some original way to surprise her!!!  Chero is also correct that for most women size does matter.  Especially when her friends talk about the ring.

garym

Quote from: QT314 on June 06, 2007, 03:07:41 PM
Do you think she'd rather have you pick out the ring or would she prefer to get what she wants?  If you're gonna pick it out follow the instructions about the diamond chart and make sure it has very few specs.  Yes, those commercial stores don't sell the best quality jewelry.  Try a small local jewler or diamond retailer.  As for how much to spend, I have no clue.  If it ever happens for me I'll probably have to buy my own...haha!  If you think she would prefer picking the ring then do something creative and interesting that will shock her and let her know you're gonna go ring shopping w/ her.  Definately find some original way to surprise her!!!  Chero is also correct that for most women size does matter.  Especially when her friends talk about the ring.

QT and engagements rings..... the 2 just dont go together!!   kinda like oil and water   

of note, I asked my wife to marry me when I was polishing my shoes on the bedroom floor...she never saw it coming!!!

cheropride

I think one of the important things for me when I got mine, and my hubby's family was really good about getting information out of me, but was the type of cut.  Mine is a traditional princess cut, and it was very important that it had 6 prong instead of the standard 4 prong.  I never, I mean never take my ring off, so I wanted it to be beautiful, but durable.  I am very happy that I was surprised, heck after 6 years, anyone would been surprised....lol  But he also did his homework, and had reinforcement from his family. 

My ring is not what some may call huge, but I must say I was totally shocked, when I say it, my first words where, this ain't real.....  But keep in mind, that this is something that she is going to wear for the rest of her life, and everytime she looks down at it, it will mean something.  She probably has a picture in her mind what she wants, you may just need to do a little investigating to find out what that is.  I personally would not of wanted to pick it out, it actually means more to me that he did.....  But then again, that's just me.....
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Bigscrb15

I got Jessica's engagement ring at Hartman's Gun & Ammo in Winter Haven. I work 2 doors down from them and they are GREAT people. She has a HUGE catalog of the settings and then they have tons of good quality diamonds you pick form and they have it all put together. I can't say how much I spent because she comes on here, but it was a very very good price and appraised for way over what I paid. It is also nice because half the store is Jewelry and the other half is guns so you can buy your self a piece too.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Chuck_Norris

Back in 1992 I took my wife to a private jeweler where she picked out the ring she like and I was educated on the qualities to look for in a Diamond. The guy was straight up with me and I got a greaat buying experience oh yea and a wife too

Da_Mtg_Man

In 93 when my wife and I got engaged I bought her a kinardly diamond (so small you kinardly see it). We didn't have alot at the time. Later I bought her a very nice solitare at Jareds and she was very pleased. The salesman was very informative and I feel that I got it for a very good price.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

cheropride

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on June 06, 2007, 04:02:51 PM
In 93 when my wife and I got engaged I bought her a kinardly diamond (so small you kinardly see it). We didn't have alot at the time. Later I bought her a very nice solitare at Jareds and she was very pleased. The salesman was very informative and I feel that I got it for a very good price.

Ah he went to Jareds.....

Sorry just couldn't resist.....

the reason that we got me a nice diamond when we first got engaged, cause it only took the fool 6 years to ask......lol Heck this year makes 18 years....  Turned 40 this year, and he said he was going to trade me in for two twenties.  I was like whatever, another 2 years that's a life sentence.....  lol 


Hey I just did the math, actually this September will 19 years.... Funny how you lose track, where in the heck does the time go...... 



Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Joedirt

Whitehall  has diamonds that are all graded....and priced accordingly.....If you buy a ring from their Whitestar collection they Name a star after your Wife.....FYI
2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers

LTR450 994

I just went thru that whole ring thing last year and i went to every diamond place i could find. I finaly got something from Costco that was at a very good price compared to what everyone else was selling for, and the quality of the diamond is very very good.
but you should make sure where ever you go that the diamond is certified and that you have a 30day return policy cause she may not like what you got and she may have her own idea as to what style of ring and diamond she wants to wear for the many years to come.

fdndantpa

Go to the pawn shop on Hills ave. get the ring with the little yfz 450 shaped out of diamonds.

buzzardman

GOOD GOD, DON'T DO IT MAN! ;D

I promise, you get way more when your single.  >:D

Fox17

Quote from: fdndantpa on June 06, 2007, 04:40:39 PM
Go to the pawn shop on Hills ave. get the ring with the little yfz 450 shaped out of diamonds.


lol. that sounds cool.


Quote from: Bigscrb15 on June 06, 2007, 03:43:27 PM
I got Jessica's engagement ring at Hartman's Gun & Ammo in Winter Haven. I work 2 doors down from them and they are GREAT people. She has a HUGE catalog of the settings and then they have tons of good quality diamonds you pick form and they have it all put together. I can't say how much I spent because she comes on here, but it was a very very good price and appraised for way over what I paid. It is also nice because half the store is Jewelry and the other half is guns so you can buy your self a piece too.


thats pretty cool. you can buy a ring and a nice gun and if she ever sees the bill, she will think you spent alot on her.

Smoknbanshee

I bought mine from Kay's.  Cut is very important, then Clarity.  Size does matter to my wife, so i broke the bank.  Jared's is one of the best places to shop.  They have very nice diamonds and you pay what the price is, they don't negotiate.  Kay's is the owned by the same company that owns Jared's, but Kay's will work with you on price.  If you go to Kay's, Mark & Morgan, Zale's, etc. negotiate with them.  They have atleast 40% to work with.  I hit them when they were doing santa dollars, so for every $300 i spent, I got $200 in santa dollars.  Then went back the next year and bought my wife a necklace, ear rings, bracelet set and for every $200 I spent, I could use $100 of santa dollars, so i basically got it for 1/3 of the cost. 
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: Smoknbanshee on June 06, 2007, 07:36:19 PM
  Size does matter to my wife, 

What a coincedence, Mine too.  ;)
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Bigscrb15

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on June 06, 2007, 07:52:06 PM
Quote from: Smoknbanshee on June 06, 2007, 07:36:19 PM
  Size does matter to my wife, 

What a coincedence, Mine too.  ;)

Now I see why yall had to buy big diamonds... gotta make of for other stuff somehow.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

cheropride

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on June 06, 2007, 07:52:06 PM
Quote from: Smoknbanshee on June 06, 2007, 07:36:19 PM
  Size does matter to my wife, 

What a coincedence, Mine too.  ;)

Tried to tell that to y'all earlier...... :deal.gif
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

blindkaeta

Go on a Cruise to St. Martin or St. Thomas and take her to Diamonds Int. The Diamonds are rated and you can Barter the price.  I  bought my wife a beautiful emerald from them, came back to the States and had it appraised.  I was worth about 600.00 more than what we payed for it...

blindkaeta

Oh and by the way if you think its to big, BUY A BIGGER ONE

SWAMP_DONKEY

#22
Brother go to Blue Nile.com and get her a good Diamond you can hand pick the 3 c's and find one to fit your budget in private without any pressure and build your own ring, you will love this place. I have bought all of Sherry's Diamonds there and have always been very happy. They are all documented and have the ser# laser etched on the Girdle and Certified not to be conflict diamond.

   www.bluenile.com Check them out...you will be impressed ;)  Trust me on this and stay away from mall jewlers.

Sleazy_Rider78

Go to Sam's club or Costco, they have very good quality diamonds and the prices are very reasonable.  Never buy a diamond from a mall store, they "doctor" their diamonds to make them look clearer than they are, you will be disappointed in the end.  I just got engaged two months ago and shopped around for a ring for about 6 months.  Do your homework and familiarize yourself with the clarity and quality of diamonds.  Good luck.
[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

trx#9

I spent 100 dollars at Kmart for a ring. Then went out and spent 15,000 on a quad. Thats the way its done!
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com