New Truck questions?

Started by greenmachine, May 02, 2007, 09:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenmachine

I am looking to buy a new truck. I own an F150. I am looking to get a 250 diesel. My question is what type of fuel mileage does a diesel get by itself & pulling a load? I will be getting a 20' enclosed trailer & pulling 4 quads & gear. I am also planning on getting a 28-30' toyhauler next year. Should I get a new F150 with the 5.4L or bite the bullet & go with a diesel. BTW, I know there are a lot of Ford haters here, but dont even bother with the get a Chevy or a Dodge because that will never happen. My family is a Ford family to the bitter end. Thanks for any help.

cheropride

If you are planning on getting a toy hauler at that size, you are going to need to bump up to F-250.  Better yet, why don't you really step up.... Chevy 2500 HD...  (Come on just a little fun w/Ford vs Chevy).

But seriously, we haul a 28 ft enclosed toy hauler (opps i was dreaming again - meant to say enclosed trailer - lol), now adays just w/4-wheelers (used to be used for race car), and you can't go with anything lower than a 250 or 2500 pending your make.  Personally love my truck, 2500HD 4 door, it pulls awesome!  Then tag-alongs are huge and heavy.  I would probably also personally go w/diesel w/that kind of weight.  But that's just my opinion...

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

MuddFreak77

If you can afford it go with a F350, and a diesel is a definate!!! 

I have an 01 with the 7.3 unloaded I get 17-19mpg loaded I get around 12-14mpg.
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: greenmachine on May 02, 2007, 09:46:47 AM
I am looking to buy a new truck. I own an F150. I am looking to get a 250 diesel. My question is what type of fuel mileage does a diesel get by itself & pulling a load? I will be getting a 20' enclosed trailer & pulling 4 quads & gear. I am also planning on getting a 28-30' toyhauler next year. Should I get a new F150 with the 5.4L or bite the bullet & go with a diesel. BTW, I know there are a lot of Ford haters here, but dont even bother with the get a Chevy or a Dodge because that will never happen. My family is a Ford family to the bitter end. Thanks for any help.

I have a 2005 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel XLT Auto with 35 inch BFG all terains (new) Very clean and in perfect shape. 31000.00

I also have a 01 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 auto XLT with a lift and tires and wheels ..22500.00

Bigscrb15

I have an 03 6.0L Powerstroke. CrewCab LongBed FX4, very heavy truck.  On the interstate I get ~18-20mpg and in town I get 13-14mpg. With our toyhauler loaded at ~12,500lbs I get 9-10mpg. I don't drive slow.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

bluestroker

sorry to hijack but bigscrub are you also on powerstroke.org?

anyways pulling that kind of weight a diesel is a must
02 - Grizzly 660
ITP Rims
Winch
1 1/2 in spacers (Front and Back)

greenmachine

great info, keep em coming.

greenmachine

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on May 02, 2007, 10:25:02 AM
Quote from: greenmachine on May 02, 2007, 09:46:47 AM
I am looking to buy a new truck. I own an F150. I am looking to get a 250 diesel. My question is what type of fuel mileage does a diesel get by itself & pulling a load? I will be getting a 20' enclosed trailer & pulling 4 quads & gear. I am also planning on getting a 28-30' toyhauler next year. Should I get a new F150 with the 5.4L or bite the bullet & go with a diesel. BTW, I know there are a lot of Ford haters here, but dont even bother with the get a Chevy or a Dodge because that will never happen. My family is a Ford family to the bitter end. Thanks for any help.

I have a 2005 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel XLT Auto with 35 inch BFG all terains (new) Very clean and in perfect shape. 31000.00

I also have a 01 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 auto XLT with a lift and tires and wheels ..22500.00
Pics & mileage on the 05?

Mudneck

Quote from: MuddFreak77 on May 02, 2007, 10:23:37 AM
If you can afford it go with a F350, and a diesel is a definate!!! 

I have an 01 with the 7.3 unloaded I get 17-19mpg loaded I get around 12-14mpg.

Thats not 4x4 is it?  :o
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Mudneck

Quote from: Bigscrb15 on May 02, 2007, 10:49:18 AM
I have an 03 6.0L Powerstroke. CrewCab LongBed FX4, very heavy truck.  On the interstate I get ~18-20mpg and in town I get 13-14mpg. With our toyhauler loaded at ~12,500lbs I get 9-10mpg. I don't drive slow.

I got 01 f-250 super duty 8' bed crew cab 4x4 7.3 turbo 5"lift & 35's & it gets 12-13 around town,never really drive hwy unloaded so towing I get 9-11 thats weekend warrior w/atv & rhino loaded for weekend weighing in at about 14k lbs plus weight truck....

Sucks $102 fill up yesterday :(
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

MuddFreak77

Quote from: bushwacker on May 02, 2007, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: MuddFreak77 on May 02, 2007, 10:23:37 AM
If you can afford it go with a F350, and a diesel is a definate!!! 

I have an 01 with the 7.3 unloaded I get 17-19mpg loaded I get around 12-14mpg.

Thats not 4x4 is it?  :o

Yes it is
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Mudneck

[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

MuddFreak77

Quote from: bushwacker on May 02, 2007, 03:07:18 PM
Well than I got a lemon! :o


Nope I got a 6-speed and manual xfer case and hubs, plus I have done a few mods
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Anoriginal

#13
I love my PSD. Great mileage and it tows everything I've hooked to it with ease. More than enough power, even for big loads. I routinely tow a 33' Contender to the Keys and a 24' Gooseneck with my buggy back and forth to the Everglades. 10-11mpg at 70mph+ towing with the cruise on.
Here's a picture of it.



As far as the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge crap is concerned.....it's just crap. They all make great trucks that pull just fine. All of them will last longer than you want them to if you take care of them. However, nothing pulls like a diesel.

GENERAL-Z

go with a CHEVY or a GMC they are cheaper and more reliable
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

Mudneck

Quote from: "Mr. 400ex" on May 02, 2007, 03:15:49 PM
go with a CHEVY or a GMC they are cheaper and more reliable



Choke where do you shop....GMC is like top dollar right there swampduckey
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

bluestroker

Quote from: bushwacker on May 02, 2007, 03:20:27 PM
Quote from: "Mr. 400ex" on May 02, 2007, 03:15:49 PM
go with a CHEVY or a GMC they are cheaper and more reliable



Choke where do you shop....GMC is like top dollar right there swampduckey

I was about to say the same thing

GMC = Cheap  ??? :tsktsk.gif

02 - Grizzly 660
ITP Rims
Winch
1 1/2 in spacers (Front and Back)

SWAMP_DONKEY

#17
Quote from: bushwacker on May 02, 2007, 03:20:27 PM
Quote from: "Mr. 400ex" on May 02, 2007, 03:15:49 PM
go with a CHEVY or a GMC they are cheaper and more reliable



Choke where do you shop....GMC is like top dollar right there swampduckey

You did not quote me there...bushy...MR 400ex made that post..and its MR. SWAMPDONKEY TO YOU ;)

   Mr. 400ex is 15 cant drive and knows what trucks sell for??? OK.

Chuck_Norris

7.3 DIESEL Has been the most reliable engine that Ford has. However that last year to get one is 2003 when the 6.0 liters started coming into production.
6.0's are iffy at best although when they are running that are running real well. they have  issues with EGR valve's EGR Coolers, Head Gaskets and Turbo's

Good luck with which ever one that you choose

countryplayboy

you need a shevy 2500 duramax disel i hav a 50 ft trailer and it pulls it no problem

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: countryplayboy on May 02, 2007, 05:10:12 PM
you need a shevy 2500 duramax disel i hav a 50 ft trailer and it pulls it no problem

Who makes SHEVY??  Highlander is that you?

Mudneck

Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on May 02, 2007, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: countryplayboy on May 02, 2007, 05:10:12 PM
you need a shevy 2500 duramax disel i hav a 50 ft trailer and it pulls it no problem

Who makes SHEVY??  Highlander is that you?

MR SWAMPUS. I was asking you to concur :o
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

dynodon

I have a 97` f350 power stroke 7.3, 5 speed manual,4x4w/ lock outs pull a 32` goose neck to Louisianna last month loaded and got 18-20 mpg @ about 80mph on the highway.

I also have a 03` f250 power stroke ( 7.3) auto, 4x4, I have not pulled with it yet, but I get 21-24 mpg with it
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

susieblazer

Bill loves his Ford F350 diesel, 5 speed manual........dually..........pulls our 20' toyhauler when we have either the Rail Buggy in or the 4 quads...........in the mountains it walks away from all the rest...he used it when he first got it with a 54'  3 car hauler from the auctions and dealers............
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

susieblazer

 :) click to enlarge..........

[attachment deleted (older than 180 days)]
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com