ONF Mystery

Started by mainetoo2005, May 02, 2007, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainetoo2005

What is the "no public access" area in ONF? I found it while looking at Google Earth. It is at the intersection of NF 584 amd NF 595? It has some weird looking stuff.

cheropride

Okay you are probably asking a serious question, but I am just in one of my moods.... must be area 51....  Just kidding though, I really don't know...
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

mainetoo2005

Hi Chero!

Yes, it is a serious question. I've been thinking about it and maybe it is an area for Forestry Firefighting gear storage. You can see 7-8 planes in the area on a runway.

cheropride

Do you have the co-ords now you have me curious, i want to see, serious.....  Ah great, now you got me serious again.... No seriously I would like to see, pulling up google now...
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

jujulo700R

I have heard that the military does bomb testing out there so that may be the reason for the "no public access".
Just a little fast and just a little furious.

mainetoo2005

Jujulo

Another good thought.

Bigscrb15

yes there is a bombing range out there.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Kawa3

Thought it was a Naval Bombing range? But...why would they have a runway and planes or is it just old planes on the ground?
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

backinsaddle

How about gps coordinates?

Ida_Mann

your probably seeing props on the bombing range,,,,,is there a funny looking ring, or set of rings thatlook almost like crop circles? 

if so, yeah you are looking at the bombing range.

there is also a radio center that is an extension of the Naval Air Station in Jacksonville that is not far from Scrub,,,,don't remember if there is a runway there though.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Sleazy_Rider78

[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

Ida_Mann

yep, 584 and 595,,,,,that's the bombing range.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

susieblazer

yes it's the naval bombing range .............a group of us wandered into it in the 70's and were escorted out, after we had tooled around looking at all the blown up stuff and realized where we were........glad the weren't using the laser at that time...........
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

LostCause

 :)
Let me tell you, there is some strange stuff out there.  Some of the old timers can tell you stories of their adventures into the range.  Needless to say, they were not in there to long.  But I wouldn't go to far in either.  Some of those bomb shells did not explode.  Not to long ago they missed the range and just about got some hunters.
It is cool to go up there at night when they are doing the Lazar tag.  But don't shine a spot light at them.  They will have someone on you in a heart beat. 
What is cool is when they come over you and turn the fighter sideways and the guy waves to you.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

tallyt

yeah lostcause you where there the night we did that and you know who showed up, not only the mp's but the sheriff and fhp. but yes it is fun to watch them come
over you at say 100-200 feet and wave at you. boy those days of hanging out at
the west gate sure were fun, back in the day but i would not go in there either, to many unkowns. any way just my 2 cents on the b-range.

LostCause

Yep,  Those were the days.  There was a time that I could have told you just about every road and bush out there but it has been so long I don't know how I would do out there now.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

mainetoo2005

I was in an airplane coming back from up north. I looked out the window and saw it. I HAD to search around on Google Earth to find it. Once I found it I was creeped out. Yes, it does have crop circle looking rings. If anyone that uses Google Earth wants the KMZ file leave me your e-mail address.

GPS
Long: 81°43'6.41"W
Lat: 29° 6'52.06"N

Ida_Mann

I've been over in the Id@ Trails area when an A-10 came over and I was in a clear-cut area about in the middle of the field on my 400,,,,he circled around and came to the side of me at about 100' almost on his side and waved,,,,,that's something I'll never forget, them planes are cool.

Ever seen the guys doing runs over at the bombing range and fire off the guns?  It looks like a cloud coming out the bottom of the plane, but really it's the spent shells.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

LostCause

What about when you are 30 ft up a pine tree and one comes along and buzzes the tree tops then comes back and turns straight up and all you see and feel are the afterburners!!!
Those were the days
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

Ida_Mann

never been a part of that, but heard stories from my dad.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

digginfool

Not picking on you, but if it was an A-10 you were watching, the cloud you saw was smoke.  The gatling cannon on the Warthog recycles it's shells.  They are far too large and expensive to dump.  The next time you go to an air show that allows you to go out on the flight line, try to get up under the Warthog and look at the gun.  It is quite impressive the way the tracks snake around inside the plane to feed the gun.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

bigscrub79

Thats pretty cool. I think what yall are thinking is a runway is just a mock up for target practice, with old planes sitting on it.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Chuck_Norris


mainetoo2005

That's it Chuck.....

Now have you seen the huge arrow over in Pasco county? BTW... I fly a lot.

Ida_Mann

Quote from: digginfool on May 03, 2007, 06:22:22 PM
Not picking on you, but if it was an A-10 you were watching, the cloud you saw was smoke.  The gatling cannon on the Warthog recycles it's shells.  They are far too large and expensive to dump.  The next time you go to an air show that allows you to go out on the flight line, try to get up under the Warthog and look at the gun.  It is quite impressive the way the tracks snake around inside the plane to feed the gun.

I don't know the jets that well, but it was not the A-10s I saw spraying the clouds of shells,,,,looked like a single-seat jet,,,,kinda like the top-gun planes, but smaller.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."