Personal (ATV) tracking device.

Started by VForcedave, April 11, 2007, 05:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VForcedave

I just ran across a company that is coming out with personal GPS tracking devices. The Track Stick II looks like the size of a pocket knife and works off of AAA batteries. It appears this was designed for people, or anything that can be moved (stolen). Then I saw the Track Stick Pro which is DC powered and can be mounted somewhere out of sight and can transmit its location anywhere in the world. With their software, you can pull up the unit Via Google Earth with no monthly charge. The "Pro" unit is ABS certified which means it is somewhat water proof. When I saw this I thought about all the ATV and vehicle thefts that is going on. I do not think the system is being delivered yet but I did see some pricing starting at $200.00 or so. Sounds like its worth a look see. Check it out and lets here what you guys and gals think. 
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

lswjth2

Do you have a website? I would like to get one for my blazer...

JackL

You guys find the best stuff! Lets see a LINK!!!
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.


2strokinIt

depending on price...looks like something worth investing in....i wonder how it could be placedon an atv and not get ruined?water, dirt, mud..etc...

JackL

Quote from: 2strokinIt on April 11, 2007, 07:12:04 PM
depending on price...looks like something worth investing in....i wonder how it could be placedon an atv and not get ruined?water, dirt, mud..etc...


Ziplock bag? Works for my camera....
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

2strokinIt

yea i do that with my phone..since i ride by myself alot...but I mean like as a permanent hidden solution? like a lo jack...how or where would you put it?...i could easily hid it on my bike...looks small enough...but weatherproofing and afixing it to the bke?

VForcedave

The Trackstick Pro looks like it could mount anywhere, although if you bury it out of sight, will it still transmit under cover? It also is ABS certified and I believe that is the American Bureau of Shipping certification which will with stand moisture/spray/temp etc but not submerged. This may not work for the Ute's but the trail and race crowd, this may help someone find their quad after the theft. I have also noticed there has been a huge increase of race quads stolen and according to these guys, there may be a thief who is into the race scene. They are probably on this sight as well.  So if you read this and you are a thief, I challenge you and your friends to a bare knuckled good old fashioned fist fight. I will guarantee you will not steal another you cowards. 
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

JackL

Quote from: 2strokinIt on April 11, 2007, 07:27:04 PM
yea i do that with my phone..since i ride by myself alot...but I mean like as a permanent hidden solution? like a lo jack...how or where would you put it?...i could easily hid it on my bike...looks small enough...but weatherproofing and afixing it to the bke?

That little thing would fit inside the headlight bezel on my UTE. Still would get submerged once in a while anyway though...haha
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

big-daddy

Quote from: VForcedave on April 11, 2007, 07:42:59 PM
The Trackstick Pro looks like it could mount anywhere, although if you bury it out of sight, will it still transmit under cover? It also is ABS certified and I believe that is the American Bureau of Shipping certification which will with stand moisture/spray/temp etc but not submerged. This may not work for the Ute's but the trail and race crowd, this may help someone find their quad after the theft. I have also noticed there has been a huge increase of race quads stolen and according to these guys, there may be a thief who is into the race scene. They are probably on this sight as well.  So if you read this and you are a thief, I challenge you and your friends to a bare knuckled good old fashioned fist fight. I will guarantee you will not steal another you cowards. 

bingo...........thats the question! Gps devices need open sight to work. Cloudy skys, trees and other item kills gps from finding satellites.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

JackL

Quote from: big-daddy on April 11, 2007, 08:16:22 PM

bingo...........thats the question! Gps devices need open sight to work. Cloudy skys, trees and other item kills gps from finding satellites.


I don't know about that unit, but there is almost no where in Florida my Garmin can't catch a signal.

Cloudy skies ain't stopping no gps signals, that is for sure. Very dense trees and bridges OTOH...
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

MOTOCROSS MAVERICK

thanks i am going to look into this!  :ThumbsUp.gif
[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/MOTOMAV/Home.aspx"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/MOTOMAV/Home.aspx[/url]

VForcedave

I know we have installed marine GPS's under the brow of some yachts. The brow is made of Fiberglass. Its not the right way but it works. Now, if someone stole your quad and it was in a warehouse, garage etc, it could not transmit. If it was outdoors, and they did not find it, or disconnect 12 Volt source, Bingo- its yours again. I will be receiving some additional info from the US distributor, and when I do I will pass this along. 
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

gearhead400

well it may have its flaws but if your bike is stolen your still going to have a better chance of getting it back with this unit. I'll probably get one...
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

JackL

Anyone remember that boost mobile cell phone tracking deal someone posted months ago?
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

450rcrazy

the way the description reads to me,It sounds like it recieves gps signals and records it to flash memory so you can retrace your steps or those of someone else but in order to do so you must retrieve the drive and download the memory to your computer it does not sound like it would work as a tracking device that you can bring up its current location with out having it in hand. Hope I am wrong becouse that would be a great defense against thieves .They need to invent the mini lojack.

1FasterBlaster

  It could help get your quad back.But it's still a 50/50 chance.There's not a lot of places to hide it on a quad, and thieves usually strip a bike down pretty fast.If they find it, they can dispose of it.
   You just have to hope they don't find it!!

live2mud

I have seen lojack on harley's so you should be able to get one on a quad.But it would probly cost a furtune.

2strokinIt

when i was looking at sport bikes at Motorsport of Tampa..most of the Hondas(cbr's)had the lo jack option on them...it was like $1400.00 more if im not mistaken...then you have monthly fees as well...i think...

as for the Track Stick Plus.....it seems you will have to recover the flash drive in order to recieve the coordinates of where the stick was...









JackL

Yup, this thing isn't going to help anyone....unless you actually recover the stolen quad and download the tracksticks memory.

I suppose you could throw it in your wifes car or something like that, but an $89 etrex can do the same stuff this does and is only slightly larger.

I thought the pro transmitted, but it doesnt.

The best option is that prepaid cell phone with the 6$ a month service someone posted about a year ago for realtime bike tracking.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

2strokinIt

do you have more info on that phone?

PLAYBOY_400

2005 400EX. FULL DMC AFTERBURNER, STAGE 2 DYNO JETS, WHITE BROS REV. BOX, SPROCKETS, K&N FILTER. KEEPS UP FOR A LIL BIKE...SUCKS GAS AND HAULS A$$. IM ALSO THE PARTS GUY YOU NEED TO TALK TO FOR ALL YOUR FORKLIFT AND MACHINE NEEDS. [email]RICKY@MRLIFT.COM[/email]

backinsaddle


JackL

Quote from: backinsaddle on April 12, 2007, 01:52:43 PM
Try this one, pretty cheap too

http://www.accutracking.com/




I've been trying to remember that link since this thread started!! Thanks.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

backinsaddle

Quote from: JackL on April 12, 2007, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: backinsaddle on April 12, 2007, 01:52:43 PM
Try this one, pretty cheap too

http://www.accutracking.com/




I've been trying to remember that link since this thread started!! Thanks.

no problem, i googled gps cell phone tracking and this came up